Can't dance the samba

Post by Norm » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

What NICs are you using?  If they are DEC tulip based, try rebuilding your
Linux Kernel with the latest and greatest version of tulip.c.  look for
tulip.c in /usr/src/linux and read the date info at the top.

Just a hunch.

Norm

> I have two machines. One is W95/Linux dual-boot and the other is W95. I
> just got the netcards on both to work at the same time and I can see them
> on each other when they're both W95 just as before. (I had to change the
> I/O port of the netcard on one, and the other is in the middle of being
> rebuilt.) When one is Linux, I can ping the W95 box, on which I installed
> TCP/IP for that purpose, but when I try to run Samba, I get the following:

> Added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
> error connecting to 0.0.1.130:139 (Network is unreachable)

> Which is puzzling, as NetBeauty doesn't use IP addresses, so far as I know.
> How do I get them to dance?

> phma

                            Norman M. Jacobowitz

O/S:            Linux           http://www.linux.org/
Ride:           Yamaha XT 225   http://www.yamahausa.com/mc/dp/dps.html

Can't dance the samba

Post by Pierre Abba » Fri, 16 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have two machines. One is W95/Linux dual-boot and the other is W95. I
just got the netcards on both to work at the same time and I can see them
on each other when they're both W95 just as before. (I had to change the
I/O port of the netcard on one, and the other is in the middle of being
rebuilt.) When one is Linux, I can ping the W95 box, on which I installed
TCP/IP for that purpose, but when I try to run Samba, I get the following:

Added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
error connecting to 0.0.1.130:139 (Network is unreachable)

Which is puzzling, as NetBeauty doesn't use IP addresses, so far as I know.
How do I get them to dance?

phma

Can't dance the samba

Post by Pierre Abba » Sat, 17 Oct 1998 04:00:00

The one here is a Linksys Ether16 which runs with the NE2000 driver in
Linux.

Don't ask me to recompile the kernel. I just got my first Forth program in
Linux (I've been programming for years in Windows) sort of working a few
days ago. I have enough trouble making sense of configuration files.

phma

Quote:> What NICs are you using?  If they are DEC tulip based, try rebuilding
your
> Linux Kernel with the latest and greatest version of tulip.c.  look for
> tulip.c in /usr/src/linux and read the date info at the top.

> Just a hunch.

> Norm

Can't dance the samba

Post by Patric » Mon, 19 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Granted I'm not an expert (yet), nor have I reachde the point of taking my
linux samba server where I want it to be.  However,  months of agony were
relieved by using an Intel EatherExpress pro nic.  Linux seemed to detect
and initialize that card wit little aggravation.

Hope this helps.

Patrick

>I have two machines. One is W95/Linux dual-boot and the other is W95. I
>just got the netcards on both to work at the same time and I can see them
>on each other when they're both W95 just as before. (I had to change the
>I/O port of the netcard on one, and the other is in the middle of being
>rebuilt.) When one is Linux, I can ping the W95 box, on which I installed
>TCP/IP for that purpose, but when I try to run Samba, I get the following:

>Added interface ip=127.0.0.1 bcast=127.255.255.255 nmask=255.0.0.0
>error connecting to 0.0.1.130:139 (Network is unreachable)

>Which is puzzling, as NetBeauty doesn't use IP addresses, so far as I know.
>How do I get them to dance?

>phma

Can't dance the samba

Post by Pierre Abba » Tue, 20 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I got it to detect the card. Now how do I get the two machines to talk to
each other?

phma

Quote:> Granted I'm not an expert (yet), nor have I reachde the point of taking
my
> linux samba server where I want it to be.  However,  months of agony were
> relieved by using an Intel EatherExpress pro nic.  Linux seemed to detect
> and initialize that card wit little aggravation.

> Hope this helps.

> Patrick

1. My question has still not been answered.Dance..Dance...Dance...

So again for the 3rd time, prove me wrong and show me specifically how
much easier it is to set up:

1. Internet connection sharing.
2. Printer/scanner sharing with Linux/Windows mixed system.
3. Firewall (software based).

Again under Win98SE:

1. Internet connection sharing:
        Try help "how do I share my internet connection?" duhhhhhh

2. Printer Sharing:
        Click on Printers/Share  Duhhhh again.

3. Firewall:
        Try Zonealarm which has been written up in just about every
magazine and trade rag. No configuration necessary. It blocks your
ports and informs you with a popup everytime something is trying to
gain access to your system. You have the option of giving access or
not. No need to type in all kinds of ip addresses although you can do
that if you wish also.

So how does one go about doing this easily under Linux?

It's very easy to do under Windows. Not one file to edit.

So how about a direct rebuttal to prove me wrong instead of all of the
lame attempts at deflecting a direct question.

Is answering a direct question too difficult for the Linux people?

2. Etherlink III PMCIA

3. Newbie loves Linux, but can't get samba to dance......

4. NIS + Shadow passwords ....

5. samba is dancing samba

6. Using large files correctly?

7. Dance RatSkink Bojangles, Dance LIAR..........

8. Network Security Questionnaire

9. Linux and Win98 dancing Samba

10. dancing the samba

11. Dancing Samba with a Rogue

12. Dancing the Samba with WP and an Epson Stylus Color

13. Who wants to teach how to make Samba dance...