Reconnecting to ISP

Post by David Smit » Wed, 12 May 2004 06:23:36

I am running Redhat Version 9.  Via a GUI, I execute program
"redhat-control-network" to dial into my ISP.   I have a call waiting
modem, and call waiting, so that I will know if I get a call while
connected, and can answer the call should I desire.

I have a problem, however.  If I get a call, and answer the phone, the
call to my ISP is dropped.  That is not the problem.  The problem is
that when I am done with the phone call, I am then unable to use the GUI
to reconnect; it still shows me as connected, and I cannot deactivate
the device via the GUI.  The only way to correct things is to shut down
and reboot.  I do not want to have to do that. How can I reset things
without shutting down and rebooting?  TIA

Reconnecting to ISP

Post by Alan Conno » Wed, 12 May 2004 07:49:31

> I am running Redhat Version 9.  Via a GUI, I execute program
> "redhat-control-network" to dial into my ISP.   I have a call waiting
> modem, and call waiting, so that I will know if I get a call while
> connected, and can answer the call should I desire.

> I have a problem, however.  If I get a call, and answer the phone, the
> call to my ISP is dropped.  That is not the problem.  The problem is
> that when I am done with the phone call, I am then unable to use the GUI
> to reconnect; it still shows me as connected, and I cannot deactivate
> the device via the GUI.  The only way to correct things is to shut down
> and reboot.  I do not want to have to do that. How can I reset things
> without shutting down and rebooting?  TIA

Try:

$ killall pppd

from an xterm or whatever commandline interface your GIDE provides that is
handier.

Should work if the permissions are right. If not, make yourself a member
of the group that pppd belongs to, as root, with adduser.

On my Debian system, that would be:

# adduser username dip

The -v option to killall will give more details about what's going on.

If it works, alias the command to "k", after checking if the name has
been taken with:

$ type k

This goes in your ~/.bashrc:

alias k='killall pppd'

Then do:

$ source ~/.bashrc

AC

--
Pass-List -----> Block-List ----> Challenge-Response
The key to taking control of your mailbox.  Design Parameters: