Question on Setting up a DNS server. Please read. :(

Question on Setting up a DNS server. Please read. :(

Post by EL C » Fri, 24 Nov 2000 04:00:00

 Hi there.  I am trying to setup a dns server, so I can run my own web
 site, email server etc off my pc at home.  I am connected full time
 the internet via ADSL connection.  Right now, My ISP is doing the DNS
 for me such as MX record, but I am trying to go solo pretty soon. (
run
 my own DNS server ).  Do I need to register a name for my dns such as
 DNS1.ELCID.COM
 DNS2.ELCID.COM through internic?  I have talked to some network
administrator, and they all say that I need to register my DNS pc to
internic, so as to become a full time DNS server.  You see, I am not
planning in offering DNS services to anyone, but myself.  I want to be
able to have my own MX records, web site, Mail server, ftp server
records under my control.  I have also heard that you do not need to
register any DNS name through internic, you simply go to internic and
point the DNS IP address from my provider to my own DNS PC at home.
So, I am getting two conflicting stories here.  1. says that i need to
register my DNS name and have it pointing to my dns machine 2. that I
just need to change the IP address from my provider DNS to my own PC
dns address.  which one is correct?  please help.

Question on Setting up a DNS server. Please read. :(

Post by Jem Berke » Fri, 24 Nov 2000 04:00:00

Quote:>  Hi there.  I am trying to setup a dns server, so I can run my own web
>  site, email server etc off my pc at home.  I am connected full time
>  the internet via ADSL connection.  Right now, My ISP is doing the DNS
>  for me such as MX record, but I am trying to go solo pretty soon. (
> run
>  my own DNS server ).  Do I need to register a name for my dns such as
>  DNS1.ELCID.COM
>  DNS2.ELCID.COM through internic?  I have talked to some network

If you're going to do all your own DNS, you should (as you say)
"register a name" for your DNS. At Network Solutions you use the "add
host" template. Other registrars will have similar functions. You want
to create two new hosts - dns1.elcid.com and dns2.elcid.com and point
those to your IP address. Then after that is registered, go into your
domain setup and enter those two nameservers as your primary and
secondary nameservers. You will of course need a DNS server running on
your machine.

Those DNS hosts you create are "glue" records; they allow people to
resolve your domain. e.g. lets say I want to resolve "www.elcid.com"

1. a.root-servers.net (top level server) says the nameserver is
ns1.elcid.com
2. Now I need to know the IP address for ns1...  a.root-servers.net also
knows that
3. Now I know the DNS server's IP address. I connect to that, and lookup
www.elcid.com

----------
http://www.pc-tools.net/
DOS, Win32, Linux software

Question on Setting up a DNS server. Please read. :(

Post by EL C » Sat, 25 Nov 2000 16:57:38

THANKS MAN!! that was the info I was looking for!!!!

LONG LIVE BIND8
 :()

Quote:>>  Hi there.  I am trying to setup a dns server, so I can run my own web
>>  site, email server etc off my pc at home.  I am connected full time
>>  the internet via ADSL connection.  Right now, My ISP is doing the DNS
>>  for me such as MX record, but I am trying to go solo pretty soon. (
>> run
>>  my own DNS server ).  Do I need to register a name for my dns such as
>>  DNS1.ELCID.COM
>>  DNS2.ELCID.COM through internic?  I have talked to some network

>If you're going to do all your own DNS, you should (as you say)
>"register a name" for your DNS. At Network Solutions you use the "add
>host" template. Other registrars will have similar functions. You want
>to create two new hosts - dns1.elcid.com and dns2.elcid.com and point
>those to your IP address. Then after that is registered, go into your
>domain setup and enter those two nameservers as your primary and
>secondary nameservers. You will of course need a DNS server running on
>your machine.

>Those DNS hosts you create are "glue" records; they allow people to
>resolve your domain. e.g. lets say I want to resolve "www.elcid.com"

>1. a.root-servers.net (top level server) says the nameserver is
>ns1.elcid.com
>2. Now I need to know the IP address for ns1...  a.root-servers.net also
>knows that
>3. Now I know the DNS server's IP address. I connect to that, and lookup
>www.elcid.com

>----------
>http://www.pc-tools.net/
>DOS, Win32, Linux software

Question on Setting up a DNS server. Please read. :(

Post by lazma » Wed, 06 Dec 2000 04:00:00

Hi i am also trying to do the same thing (get my own .com independent on my
 computer at home) Do i have to regester the NS1 & NS2 ip adress or can i
use the same ip adress i have now? I am new to this and any information
would be helpfull! Thanks

> >  Hi there.  I am trying to setup a dns server, so I can run my own web
> >  site, email server etc off my pc at home.  I am connected full time
> >  the internet via ADSL connection.  Right now, My ISP is doing the DNS
> >  for me such as MX record, but I am trying to go solo pretty soon. (
> > run
> >  my own DNS server ).  Do I need to register a name for my dns such as
> >  DNS1.ELCID.COM
> >  DNS2.ELCID.COM through internic?  I have talked to some network

> If you're going to do all your own DNS, you should (as you say)
> "register a name" for your DNS. At Network Solutions you use the "add
> host" template. Other registrars will have similar functions. You want
> to create two new hosts - dns1.elcid.com and dns2.elcid.com and point
> those to your IP address. Then after that is registered, go into your
> domain setup and enter those two nameservers as your primary and
> secondary nameservers. You will of course need a DNS server running on
> your machine.

> Those DNS hosts you create are "glue" records; they allow people to
> resolve your domain. e.g. lets say I want to resolve "www.elcid.com"

> 1. a.root-servers.net (top level server) says the nameserver is
> ns1.elcid.com
> 2. Now I need to know the IP address for ns1...  a.root-servers.net also
> knows that
> 3. Now I know the DNS server's IP address. I connect to that, and lookup
> www.elcid.com

1. Set-up woes, please, please, please help :(

Hey everyone,
            here's my situation: yesterday i finally got all the parts
to my new computer. I built it, installed rh 6, and i've had nothing but
problems, in fact the only devices i have working properly are my ide
drives and cd burners. Here's what i bought:

Celeron 400 PPGA x 2 (and yes the label said single processor
systems...but they work just fine)
Abit BP-6 Motherboard
256 MB PC100 Ram  (2 x 128)
Western  Digital 13.0 and 8.4 gig Hardrives
Mitsumi 40 x IDE CDrom
Sound Blaster PCI 128
Diamon Viper V770
Advanys SCSI controller with Matsushista 7502 cdr drive (works great)
3com 3c509 isa network card (PnP mode)
.....i think that's it.

Now here are the problems.

1) First of all when i boot it (top) says i only have about 3 megs of
ram free. How is this             possible????

2) I can't seem to configure sound with any luck, sndconfig detects my
card immediatly but i don't head any sound.

3) When i reboot or shutdown using those commands, i don't think it
properly unmounts the drives becuase i get error messages when it boots
up and take about 20 minutes to fsck them.

4) I installed the nVidia patch for the V770 and X does work but the
graphics are real sh*tty (grainy, not sure what mode i'm running in but
i know it's 1024x768)

5) Sometimes when shutting down, the machine hangs when its shutting of
interface eth0. so i'm not sure if the network card is the problem.

    That's it on the problems so here are the questions:

    a) How do i fix the problems that i listed above? (i know it's
stupid and redundant to say
                that, but it's my primary question)

    b)  What version of linux should i run on this, i.e. what will
support the hardware best. I was         considering mandrake, but i'm
not sure.

    c) Is there a way to tell what cpu is doing what? i know in Irix
when you run top it tells you          about each cpu?

                    I truly thank everyone in advance for help with
this,

--jordan

2. COM PORT PROB.

3. apache alias and script alias problem

4. Talk refused to talk:(:(:(:(

5. XShipWars 0.68 Released!

6. Please talk to me How can I set DNS server with "-k.nu".

7. NCR810, Quantum Empire, ASUS SP3

8. Please Help with Setting DNS Server

9. DNS: can I set my dns to forward a web address to another server ?

10. Question about routing (setting up a gateway) on mandrake 8.2 (PLEASE READ)

11. UPS - software driver for the APC Smart UPS - 600 (Please HELP )

12. newbie question -- setting up DNS server