PPP says "ERROR: Unknown Protocol (80fd) received"

PPP says "ERROR: Unknown Protocol (80fd) received"

Post by Steven All » Fri, 08 Mar 1996 04:00:00

: Please, does anybody know what to do about the following:

: When trying to connect to my local friendly Internet Service Provider
: the modem dials up, logs in, runs PPP on the server, packets
: start flowing... then it stops.

: /var/adm/syslog says "ERROR: Unknown Protocol (80fd) received"

: Doing netstat -r shows nothing (netstat hangs).

: I've tried this with two different ISP's with similar effect (the other
: one [PIPEX DIAL] had "Unknown Protocol (8029) received".

: I've checked that the MRU size is 1500.

: Any help gratefully appreciated here or at

        I know this isn't the reply that you were looking for....but
you see I have the same problem and nobody seems to have the answer
or is willing to help.
        If you hear from anybody about the problem please let me know.
meanwhile, I'm working to find the problem myself, been at it for three weeks
now (reassuring isn't it?).  I've copied your address down...if I make a break
through, I'll let you know

                        Steve

Post by M.A. » Sat, 09 Mar 1996 04:00:00

> : Please, does anybody know what to do about the following:

> : When trying to connect to my local friendly Internet Service Provider
> : the modem dials up, logs in, runs PPP on the server, packets
> : start flowing... then it stops.

> : /var/adm/syslog says "ERROR: Unknown Protocol (80fd) received"

> : Doing netstat -r shows nothing (netstat hangs).

> : I've tried this with two different ISP's with similar effect (the other
> : one [PIPEX DIAL] had "Unknown Protocol (8029) received".

> : I've checked that the MRU size is 1500.

> : Any help gratefully appreciated here or at

>         I know this isn't the reply that you were looking for....but
> you see I have the same problem and nobody seems to have the answer
> or is willing to help.
>         If you hear from anybody about the problem please let me know.
> meanwhile, I'm working to find the problem myself, been at it for three weeks
> now (reassuring isn't it?).  I've copied your address down...if I make a break
> through, I'll let you know

>                         Steve

I have seen a fix to this problem,in my notes.
I shall send it as soon as we review the notes.

I ppp and it doesn't seen to with 1.3.69(ppp-2.20e).
I get nothing on bootup.It is compiled to the kernel.

M.A.