PF_INET,SOCK_RAW - obsolete?

Post by Michal Wojciechowsk » Sat, 10 Jul 2004 11:03:30

Hello,

While reading ip(7), I came upon this:

  "For compatibility with Linux 2.0, the obsolete socket(PF_INET,
  SOCK_RAW, protocol) syntax is still supported to open a packet(7)
  socket."

Is this correct? AFAIK, it should be SOCK_PACKET mentioned here, not
SOCK_RAW, since socket(PF_INET, SOCK_RAW, protocol) is a legitimate
method of direct access to the IP protocol.

--
* Michal Wojciechowski
* odyniec -at- odyniec -dot- net

1. diald uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)

Hello,

I can't connect my Linux box to my ISP. In dmesg I get a mesage saying
"diald uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)". What does it mean ? Is that the
source of my problem ? How
can I correct it ?

I use kernel 2.2.5.
PPP: version 2.3.3 (demand dialling)
TCP compression code copyright 1989 Regents of the University of California
PPP line discipline registered.
SLIP: version 0.8.4-NET3.019-NEWTTY (dynamic channels, max=256).
diald uses obsolete (PF_INET,SOCK_PACKET)

Thank you
Marcel

2. rexec broken on RedHat 6.1?

3. Identd and NAT under FreeBSD?

4. (PF_INET, SOCK_PACKET)

5. The cost of ipchains rules

6. What is difference between PF_INET and AF_INET

7. kde and user profiles

8. PF_INET vs. AF_INET?

9. Q: SOCK_RAW & IPPROTO_RAW Broken in 1.2.x??

10. Help! how to write "SOCK_RAW" program?

11. Linux: SOCK_RAW - how to?

12. Routing Program - socket(PF_ROUTE, SOCK_RAW, 0)