minicom for direct serial file transfer?

minicom for direct serial file transfer?

Post by John J. Le » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 05:31:32

Does anyone know how to get minicom to talk over a serial line directly
for simple file transfer?  It doesn't seem to know anything about this,
and wants all kinds of modem commands (setting them all blank doesn't seem
to help in itself).  I know that it is possible, because I've read before
of people using it for this purpose sucessfully.

I would use kermit, but I need to transfer the files to/from windows
machines, for which DOS C-kermit doesn't often work, g-kermit doesn't seem
to have a port for yet, and the windows c-kermit is $too much: it seems to
be a choice between this and direct fiddling about with the serial port,
which I *don't* fancy.

Thanks for any help

John

minicom for direct serial file transfer?

Post by David Efflan » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 10:12:22

Quote:

>Does anyone know how to get minicom to talk over a serial line directly
>for simple file transfer?  It doesn't seem to know anything about this,
>and wants all kinds of modem commands (setting them all blank doesn't seem
>to help in itself).  I know that it is possible, because I've read before
>of people using it for this purpose sucessfully.

>I would use kermit, but I need to transfer the files to/from windows
>machines, for which DOS C-kermit doesn't often work, g-kermit doesn't seem
>to have a port for yet, and the windows c-kermit is $too much: it seems to
>be a choice between this and direct fiddling about with the serial port,
>which I *don't* fancy.

Between Unix (Linux) boxes see 'man sz' and 'man rz'.  If sending a file
from the remote with 'sz', minicom should automatically notice and
download the sent file with zmodem protocol.  If you want to send a file,
start 'rz' on the remote and then send to file using zmodem protocol from
minicom Alt key menues.

It works the same way if using HyperTerminal in Windows to connect to a
Linux (or other Unix) box.  However, you cannot connect minicom to a Win
box unless it is running some sort of BBS host program (there used to be
an old DOS shareware Procomm that would do that).

http://hammer.prohosting.com/~cgi-wiz/  http://cgi-help.virtualave.net/

minicom for direct serial file transfer?

Post by Clifford Kit » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 08:45:48

Quote:> Does anyone know how to get minicom to talk over a serial line directly
> for simple file transfer?  It doesn't seem to know anything about this,

Alternate-z then `s' for a send protocol menu.  Alternate-z then 'r'
for a receive protocol menu.

--

/* For every credibility gap, there is a gullibility fill.
                -- R. Clopton */

minicom for direct serial file transfer?

Post by J.. » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 13:13:25

Sorry I don't know the answer,
But we share first and last names,
Does that make us 'common' ?

John P.Lee

minicom for direct serial file transfer?

Post by bluste » Thu, 07 Sep 2000 16:57:13

I am assuming you have the systems connected at the serial ports with a
nul-modem cable here...
Start minicom with the -o switch eg :
minicom -o
This tells minicom not to init the modem (which isn't there) since you'r
using the nul-modem cable (direct serial connection)
Start the term on the windows box (HyperTerm or equiv).
Once you have the minicom and hyperterm screens up typing on one kbd should
show up on the other screen (if everything's working).
If this works then you'r ready to use the file transfer commands in the term
prog's
eg:
in miniterm: Alt-z then 's' for a send protocol menu.
                    Alt-z then 'r' for a receive protocol menu

in hyperterm: Alt-t then 's' for a send protocol menu.
                      Alt-t then 'r' for a receive protocol menu

BTW the -o switch will also make minicom bypass the check for a lock file on
the serial port so be carefull to not open two minicoms at once

hope this helps
bluster

Post by Frank da Cr » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 03:09:20

:
: Does anyone know how to get minicom to talk over a serial line directly
: for simple file transfer?  It doesn't seem to know anything about this,
: and wants all kinds of modem commands (setting them all blank doesn't seem
: to help in itself).  I know that it is possible, because I've read before
: of people using it for this purpose sucessfully.
:
: I would use kermit, but I need to transfer the files to/from windows
: machines, for which DOS C-kermit doesn't often work...
:
Because it was written for DOS, not for Windows:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/msk95.html

: ... g-kermit doesn't seem to have a port for yet...
:
And if it did, it wouldn't help you -- it's not a communications program,
it's the far end for Kermit transfers over an existing connection (similar
to rz/sz on Unix).  This makes sense in Unix, but not in Windows.  You can't
log in remotely to a Windows shell and run arbitrary programs.

: ... and the windows c-kermit is $too much: it seems to
: be a choice between this and direct fiddling about with the serial port,
: which I *don't* fancy.
:
So your time is worth something?

As others have pointed out, you can use some combination of minicom and rz/sz
on Linux and Hyperterminal on Windows, but this assumes the two PCs are in
the same room and you can control both of them from their keyboards.  This
is apparently your situation.

Others who might want to do the same thing, but at a distance, using modems
(or Telnet), might be interested to know that Kermit 95 for Windows includes
a "host mode" that receives incoming serial (direct or dialed) or Telnet
connections, requires the caller to login, and then presents a menu offering
various choices, including uploads and downloads.  More info:

  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95.html      Kermit 95 for Windows
  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/k95host.html  Kermit 95 host mode
  http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/ckermit.html  C-Kermit for Linux

- Frank

Post by John J. Le » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 09:50:56

> :
> : Does anyone know how to get minicom to talk over a serial line directly
> : for simple file transfer?  It doesn't seem to know anything about this,
[...]
> : I would use kermit, but I need to transfer the files to/from windows
> : machines, for which DOS C-kermit doesn't often work...
> :
> Because it was written for DOS, not for Windows:

>   http://www.columbia.edu/kermit/msk95.html

Yes, I know.

Quote:> : ... g-kermit doesn't seem to have a port for yet...
> :
> And if it did, it wouldn't help you -- it's not a communications program,
> it's the far end for Kermit transfers over an existing connection (similar
> to rz/sz on Unix).  This makes sense in Unix, but not in Windows.  You can't
> log in remotely to a Windows shell and run arbitrary programs.

I wasn't wanting to log in remotely.

You say it's the 'far end.'  From the gkermit man page:

        -r      RECEIVE.  Wait for incoming files.
        -s fn   SEND.  Send file(s) specified by fn.

Ie. both the 'far' and 'near' ends?  I presume I'm misunderstanding what
you mean by 'far end.'

Quote:> : ... and the windows c-kermit is $too much: it seems to
> : be a choice between this and direct fiddling about with the serial port,
> : which I *don't* fancy.
> :
> So your time is worth something?

Sadly, no: I'm a PhD student.  ;-)

Quote:> As others have pointed out, you can use some combination of minicom and rz/sz
> on Linux and Hyperterminal on Windows, but this assumes the two PCs are in
> the same room and you can control both of them from their keyboards.  This
> is apparently your situation.

[...]

Yes.

[snipped stuff about other situations]

Thanks

John

Post by John J. Le » Fri, 08 Sep 2000 09:58:22

> I am assuming you have the systems connected at the serial ports with a
> nul-modem cable here...

Yes.

Quote:> Start minicom with the -o switch eg :
> minicom -o
> This tells minicom not to init the modem (which isn't there) since you'r
> using the nul-modem cable (direct serial connection)
> Start the term on the windows box (HyperTerm or equiv).
> Once you have the minicom and hyperterm screens up typing on one kbd should
> show up on the other screen (if everything's working).

Okay, typing works (both ends).  File transfer doesn't, though.

Quote:> If this works then you'r ready to use the file transfer commands in the term
> prog's
> eg:
> in miniterm[sic]: Alt-z then 's' for a send protocol menu.
>                     Alt-z then 'r' for a receive protocol menu

> in hyperterm: Alt-t then 's' for a send protocol menu.
>                       Alt-t then 'r' for a receive protocol menu

I just get timeouts sending in either direction.

Hyperterminal works in both directions (win 95 <-> win 98).  Linux <-> win
98 doesn't.  Any thoughts?

Thanks for any help

John

minicom for direct serial file transfer?

Post by Frank da Cr » Sat, 09 Sep 2000 02:47:08

: ...
: > : ... g-kermit doesn't seem to have a port for yet...
: > :
: > And if it did, it wouldn't help you -- it's not a communications program,
: > it's the far end for Kermit transfers over an existing connection (similar
: > to rz/sz on Unix).  This makes sense in Unix, but not in Windows.  You
: > can't log in remotely to a Windows shell and run arbitrary programs.
:
: I wasn't wanting to log in remotely.
:
Still, when you make a connection from computer A to computer B, there must
be something on computer B waiting for the connection, and that you can talk
to once the connection is made.  If you make a connection from Windows to
Linux, it's getty, login, and the Unix shell.  But if you make a connection
from Linux to Windows, there's nothing there unless you put it there.

: You say it's the 'far end.'  From the gkermit man page:
:
:       -r      RECEIVE.  Wait for incoming files.
:       -s fn   SEND.  Send file(s) specified by fn.
:
: Ie. both the 'far' and 'near' ends?  I presume I'm misunderstanding what
: you mean by 'far end.'
:
No, "send and receive" and "far and near end" are orthogonal concepts.  E.g.,
you can send from the far end to the near end (download) or from the near
end to the far end (upload); conversely for receive/get.

G-Kermit works only on the far end.  So even if you had G-Kermit on Windows,
how would you get to it if you were coming in from Linux?

- Frank

1. Direct Serial Connection using minicom

Hello,

I have Caldera 2.4 freshly upgraded from 2.3 and would like to use
Minicom to connect to a serial device (not
a modem). The following are my configuration steps:
   1) ISAPNP sets the modem com and interrupt
   2) Setserial auto-configures three serial ports: com1 Motherboard
serial port; com2 Modem configured
       via ISAPNP, com4 second motherboard serial port.
I checked the bios and the addresses and IRQ's match their respective
setserial parameters. The modem is
functional using Ksaferppp and minicom, but when I reconfigure minicom
to use com1 (/dev/ttyS0) I get
nothing out of the serial port (not even a signal "toggle" measured by a
vol meter).

My serial device requires a space  ASCII character from the computer to
autodetect BAUD, has no flow
control and requires 8 n 1 no parity which I set in minicom. Further, I
know both the serial device and my
serial port work because hyperterm in windows works nicely. I would use
windows but I am more productive
using LINUX and would like to switch to LINUX completely. By the way, I
removed all the modem init
strings and the like, Disable DTR and Carrier Detect checking in minicom
and still no joy. Can anyone see
something I missed? I seem to have hit a wall. Any suggestions will be
greatly appreciated.

Ron

2. Redhat 5.0 telnet daemon terminated by system

3. Using Zmodem for file transfer over a direct connection.

4. Calling functions in a device driver module

5. USB direct cable to transfer files without networking

6. Environment Variables and Solaris 7

7. minicom file transfer problems

8. How to Auto Insert USB module?

9. transfer of files via cpio through direct connection

10. Minicom-transfer files on session device

11. Minicom- can't add an ascii file transfer

12. Serial port Ymodem File Transfer Programmation

13. Transferring files via serial ports