Can access network after booting

Post by Stev » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Ok, I'll try and send this again since I know at least my address got
messed up in the first message.

I have a pc running linux 5.2 with a netgear en104tp hub and a fa310tx
nic. The pc name is pc2.  After booting the system, whenever I
try:               ping pc2
I get the 'network is unreachable' message.
If I do the following :

1. insmod /lib/modules/2.0.36-0.7/net/tulip.o
2. ifconfig eth0 192.168.42.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
192.168.42.255 up
3. route add -net 192.168.42.0 dev eth0

I can ping pc2 without any problems.

After doing some research I discovered the following message occurs
during boot:

          insmod: /lib/modules/preferred/net/tulip.o : symbol for
parameter io not found

Is this what is causing my problem? If so, how do I fix it?  If not what
is causing the problem and how do I fix it?

Another question. Whenever I boot, I must use my floppy.  I know this is
how I set it up when I installed rh5.2, but I thought there would be a
way to change this (ie. boot from my hard drive) without reloading
redhat.  How can boot without the floppy.

Thanks for the help

Post by C.J » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

>Another question. Whenever I boot, I must use my floppy.  I know this is
>how I set it up when I installed rh5.2, but I thought there would be a
>way to change this (ie. boot from my hard drive) without reloading
>redhat.  How can boot without the floppy.

Are you using LILO now to boot from the floppy?

If you only have Linux on your system, or if booting from floppy allows you to
choose and properly boot Windows already, continue on...

If so, just edit /etc/lilo.conf and change the line that reads
   /boot = /dev/fd0
to /boot = /dev/hda  (or whatever drive you boot on)

then run
  /sbin/lilo

You DON'T want to do the above if lilo is not correctly configured to boot
Windows or whatever operating system you have now.  If your other operating
sytem is Windows, try runing
 linuxconf

and go to
  Config-boot mode-Lilo-Configure LILO other OS configurations

Click Add

Enter windows as the Label

Enter /dev/hda1 (or the correct partition for windows) for partition

Click Accept, and let it update your boot disk... then when you are able to
boot off the floppy and start windows (by typing windows at the lilo prompt),
you can follow the steps I listed above to change from floppy boot to hard
disk boot.

Can access network after booting

Post by Karlheinz Boehm » Mon, 10 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Hi Steve !

> Ok, I'll try and send this again since I know at least my address got
> messed up in the first message.

> After doing some research I discovered the following message occurs
> during boot:

>           insmod: /lib/modules/preferred/net/tulip.o : symbol for
> parameter io not found

Looks like you specified an IO-address for the driver in your network
setup, and the parameter 'io=0x???' is not recognized by the tulip
driver (I searched the source code of the driver for this, but couldn't
find anything). So I suggest to start the tulip driver without any
arguments, because if you do it via 'insmod' on the command line
you do not specify any parameters either, and then it works !

Quote:> Is this what is causing my problem? If so, how do I fix it?  If not what
> is causing the problem and how do I fix it?

> Another question. Whenever I boot, I must use my floppy.  I know this is
> how I set it up when I installed rh5.2, but I thought there would be a
> way to change this (ie. boot from my hard drive) without reloading
> redhat.  How can boot without the floppy.

Assume you have linux installed in the first partition of the first
IDE drive, and you have Windose installed on the 3rd partition on the
same drive, your '/etc/lilo.conf' would look as follows :

# start of LILO configuration file
# Start LILO global Section
boot=/dev/hda
#compact       # faster, but won't work on all systems.
read-only
prompt
timeout=20
vga = normal    # force sane state
# End LILO global Section
#
image = /boot/vmlinuz
  root  = /dev/hda1
  label = linux
  alias = l

other = /dev/hda3
  label = Windows_9x
  alias = w

# end of LILO configuration file

if you run 'lilo' with this config file, the lilo bootmanager will
be installed in the boot sector of your first hard drive. Lilo will
wait two seconds before it boots to linux. If you enter 'w' (or, if
you like 'Windows_9x') on the lilo boot prompt, Windows on partition
3 will be booted.

Can access network after booting

Post by Stev » Thu, 13 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Just wanted to say Thanks for the help

> Ok, I'll try and send this again since I know at least my address got
> messed up in the first message.

> I have a pc running linux 5.2 with a netgear en104tp hub and a fa310tx
> nic. The pc name is pc2.  After booting the system, whenever I
> try:               ping pc2
> I get the 'network is unreachable' message.
> If I do the following :

> 1. insmod /lib/modules/2.0.36-0.7/net/tulip.o
> 2. ifconfig eth0 192.168.42.2 netmask 255.255.255.0 broadcast
> 192.168.42.255 up
> 3. route add -net 192.168.42.0 dev eth0

> I can ping pc2 without any problems.

> After doing some research I discovered the following message occurs
> during boot:

>           insmod: /lib/modules/preferred/net/tulip.o : symbol for
> parameter io not found

> Is this what is causing my problem? If so, how do I fix it?  If not what
> is causing the problem and how do I fix it?

> Another question. Whenever I boot, I must use my floppy.  I know this is
> how I set it up when I installed rh5.2, but I thought there would be a
> way to change this (ie. boot from my hard drive) without reloading
> redhat.  How can boot without the floppy.

> Thanks for the help

1. callback, ppp, and morning-afters

Hi all -

I've been trying (with no real success) to get callback working on my
RedHat 5.0 system.

My employer offers callback, and I have confirmed under 95 that it does
indeed work. I dial in to the callback number, log in, the remote
machine hangs up, phones back, the modem answers, I log in again, and am
up and running.

Under Linux, however, I suspect that somewhere along the line I launch
pppd with the wrong command line arguments...

Anway, this is how far I get:

kppp:

With kppp I can access the normal dailin services with no problem. I set
up a simple script within kppp that sends my login and password, set
some other miscellaneous parameters, and I can dialin simply. With
callback, I've gotten kppp to dialin properly, send the login info, wait
for the return call, and then answer. Strangely enough, it seems that
when kppp answers, the first thing it does is reset the modem again...
gets confused, and then tries to dial my office machine again... :-(

minicom:

With minicom I can dailin, do the prelim login,  wait for the return
call, and login again. Everything seems fine. I get a `packet mode
enabled' message, and the terminal screen fills with binary data. I then
exit minicom without reset, and start pppd manually... (pppd -detach
defaultroute&) The same binary data then scrolls across my xterm. In
/var/log/messages I see pppd start up, give one or two messages, then
time out with an `LCP timeout during config request' or something like
that.

ppp-on / chat:

I've also tried the *basic* method of shell scripts and chat, using the
examples under /usr/doc/ppp*/scripts. As is, these scripts don't seem to
work. I've tried to hack them, but under /var/log/messages the furthest
I've gotten is seeing chat send an ATZ to the modem, give an expect(OK)
(or something like that) and then eventually time out.

I'm pretty much at my wits end. Any help/solutions/pointers or
commisseration would be much appreciated.

Thanks,
Rudolph

--
/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\/\
Standard Disclaimer -   The views expressed in this article are personal

2. Epson vs. HP

3. Informix problems afters Y2K Solaris 2.5 patch

4. Mitsumi Single Spin CD-Rom drives

5. How to access the ok boot prompt from the network ?

6. ntpd on Solaris 2.3.....

7. Stop Trying to Access Network During Boot?

8. solaris x86 vs linux

9. boot from CD-ROM can access Network?

10. It's not bad canned meat...

11. Canned Proxy URLs to Filter