Getting a SMC EZ card PCI 10 to work in RedHat6.0 Linux

Getting a SMC EZ card PCI 10 to work in RedHat6.0 Linux

Post by jfcre.. » Wed, 29 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Here is my solution to get a SMC EZ PCI 10 card to work with my RedHat
linux 6.0. First of all, I must tell you that the installation program
did NOT recognize my card (I tried all the darn drivers, and none of
them worked!)

As it turns out, what you need is the "ne" driver, not the "rtl8139"
(which was suggested in a posting from  fa.linux.net). In linuxconf, go
to Basic Host Information, select the adaptor you want, specify the net
device (in my case, it's eth0) then specify the Kernel module (ne, in
our case). Since I'm using DHCP these were the only two fields I had to
fill-in.

So don't necessarily be paranoid about the PnP issues: that made me
follow a wrong track for hours! I did not have to alter any of the PnP
functionality of the card to get it to work.

With this, I was able to get my Samsung cable modem to work with my
Videotron provider.

Hope this helps. I sure wish I had this info 9 hours ago!!!!

Jean-Francois Crespo
Nuance Communications

Getting a SMC EZ card PCI 10 to work in RedHat6.0 Linux

Post by Patrick Farrel » Thu, 30 Sep 1999 04:00:00

Anyone know why they even sell pci 10mb anymore and not 10/100?  I
installed a card in a machine today that had a SMC PCI 10 COAX card in
it...

Had I been drinking milk when I saw it I'd have blown it out my nose.

Patrick

Post by Donald Beck » Sun, 03 Oct 1999 04:00:00

>Here is my solution to get a SMC EZ PCI 10 card to work with my RedHat
>linux 6.0. First of all, I must tell you that the installation program
>did NOT recognize my card (I tried all the darn drivers, and none of
>them worked!)

>As it turns out, what you need is the "ne" driver, not the "rtl8139"
>(which was suggested in a posting from  fa.linux.net). In linuxconf, go

You should be using the ne2k-pci driver.  It will detect the card and IRQ
automatically.

There is no PnP issue with PCI cards.  That applies only to ISA cards.

Code 930.5, Goddard Space Flight Center,  Greenbelt, MD.  20771
301-286-0882         http://cesdis.gsfc.nasa.gov/people/becker/whoiam.html