rlogin to SCO Unix system

Post by Alejandro Alberola Ari » Thu, 07 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Hello!

I want to make a Linux system equivalent of a SCO Unix system.
I have configured the /etc/hosts.equiv file properly but when I
try to rlogin from Linux to SCO Unix the password is always
asked to me. How can I avoid that ?.

And, Anybody knows why the "rcmd" command doesn't appear in the
Slackware distribution ?

If you know, e-mail me. Thanks.

rlogin to SCO Unix system

Post by Thomas H Smit » Thu, 14 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>Hello!

>I want to make a Linux system equivalent of a SCO Unix system.
>I have configured the /etc/hosts.equiv file properly but when I
>try to rlogin from Linux to SCO Unix the password is always
>asked to me. How can I avoid that ?.

   I'm not certain of exactly what's required, but I don't have to put in
the password when connecting via rlogin to an AIX system.  My Linux
machine name (HOSTNAME file) is the same as my userid and password on
the AIX.  Crude and slightly dangerous, but....

                                        -T.H. Smith

rlogin to SCO Unix system

Post by Tom Julie » Thu, 14 Sep 1995 04:00:00

Quote:>>Hello!

>>I want to make a Linux system equivalent of a SCO Unix system.
>>I have configured the /etc/hosts.equiv file properly but when I
>>try to rlogin from Linux to SCO Unix the password is always
>>asked to me. How can I avoid that ?.

>   I'm not certain of exactly what's required, but I don't have to put in
>the password when connecting via rlogin to an AIX system.  My Linux
>machine name (HOSTNAME file) is the same as my userid and password on
>the AIX.  Crude and slightly dangerous, but....

Ok, here's a few things to look for on most Unices:

        - for root, only ~/.rhosts is consulted
        - for others, /etc/hosts.equiv is read first followed
          by ~/.rhosts
        - ~/.rhosts must be owned by the user/root
        - both files use the format:
                hostname username
          where the username is optional if they are consistent
          between node.

          believe the NIS port to linux supports this as of yet
          (although my data may be stale :) ]
        - you must use the proper/official hostname (i.e. no aliases
          or nicknames).
        - if the remote machine (the one you're rsh/rlogin'ing into)
          doesn't have the local machine's (the one you're coming from)
          hostname in /etc/hosts or the NIS hosts map (if you're
          running NIS), then you must specify the fully qualified
          hostname (host.domain) as DNS is resolving the hostname.

The latter one is usually what bites many people.

Hope this helps...

/*************************************************************

Senior Analyst, Engr Unix Support        Tel: 407-826-7685
Lockheed Martin Corp, Orlando, FL        Fax: 407-826-1881
*************************************************************/

rlogin to SCO Unix system

Post by rodney d slo » Thu, 14 Sep 1995 04:00:00

>>Hello!

>>I want to make a Linux system equivalent of a SCO Unix system.
>>I have configured the /etc/hosts.equiv file properly but when I
>>try to rlogin from Linux to SCO Unix the password is always
>>asked to me. How can I avoid that ?.

>   I'm not certain of exactly what's required, but I don't have to put in
>the password when connecting via rlogin to an AIX system.  My Linux
>machine name (HOSTNAME file) is the same as my userid and password on
>the AIX.  Crude and slightly dangerous, but....

>                                    -T.H. Smith

What about a .rhosts in your home directory?
--
Rodney Daryl Slone                  | "Grounds are pretty common." - me
Electrical Engineering Senior       | Nail here [] for a new monitor.

1. SCO UNIX v3.2.4/SCO Merge v2.2.0 - Hangs system when using COM2

Using Merge and attaching COM2 (+acom2) I can successfully use DOS apps
requiring a modem.  However, when the modem hangs up, the whole system
hangs.  All terminals, console, everything.  Flipping the modem power on
and off will unlock the system.  I've tried every conceivable DTR, DSR
and CD modem setting (&D#, &C# and &S#) but to no avail.  UNIX apps can
utilize the modem no problem.  I've also tried using the non-modem
control device driver (tty2a) but it makes no difference.  Please e-mail
a duplicate response.  Thanks!!!

Troy Brimm

2. Kernel Change Summary: small archive directory change

3. The difference beetwen SCO Unix System V/386 and SCO

4. OpenSSL Problems

5. a sco unix system transfer to r6 system problem

6. LDAP - PAM centralized user aithentication

7. SCO Unix 3.4.2v4.2; Foxpro 2.6 for Unix; Slow system; please HELP

8. LDAP with Sendmail

9. biz.sco.* replaced by comp.unix.sco.*; biz.sco.* newsgroups removed.

10. Does any Know How To FTP between a Unix system and a Non Unix operating system.

11. SCO UNIX operating system

12. Limiting time on SCO Unix system?