Modem access help

Post by Chau C. Trin » Sat, 07 Oct 1995 04:00:00

Hi there, I have a problem with accessing modem under linux. If I login
as root I can access the file modem which then calls cua2 (com3 under
Dos) but if I login as another user I can't access it. I have tried to
change mode, grp, and users etc but nothing works. Could you help me please?

Modem access help

Post by Raymond Scott Felle » Sun, 08 Oct 1995 04:00:00

: Hi there, I have a problem with accessing modem under linux. If I login
: as root I can access the file modem which then calls cua2 (com3 under
: Dos) but if I login as another user I can't access it. I have tried to
: change mode, grp, and users etc but nothing works. Could you help me please?

Try changing the permission (use chmod command) of /dev/cua2 and
/dev/ttyS2.  The default setting upon installation is probably rxwr--r--
which won't let non root users access the modem.

Ray

1. Problem accessing modem on Linksys combo ethernet modem PCMCIA card

I've encountered a problem on a Winbook laptop running
Mandrake 7.0 and kernel 2.2.14.   Using a Linksys
combination ethernet/modem card, the eithernet card
works but the modem doesn't.   In particular, minicom
can't talk to the modem.  Using a different single modem
card, everything appears to work fine.   However, the Linksys
combo card worked fine for both ethernet and modem when
running Mandrage 6.5 and kernel 2.2.13.   One additional
bit of information: the modem also fails on a system
running RedHat 6.1 with kernel 2.2.12.   Minicom seems
to communicate a bit better with the modem in that some
lights flicker when it is terminated, but it still doesn't
respond to AT with OK.

When the combo card is inserted, it appears to choose
interrupt 2, but changing the interrupt with setserial to
other plausible choices doesn't do any good.

2. Using same line for voice and data... suggestions

3. help requested for Dial in Access to Linux machine through modem

4. Host name checkup failure

5. Help: cannot access the modem from chat

6. How to read/write from/to disk drive?

7. Modem US-Robotics Courier and SLIP access trouble : HELP !

8. No utmp entries for xdm sessions

9. Need help about change modem to get Internet access

10. Modem Access - Please Help!

11. Help! Setting up Internet Access with Cable modem.

12. Help: Unable to access remote modem