best small linux for doing home router/firewall

best small linux for doing home router/firewall

Post by Mark Schlege » Wed, 03 Jul 2002 12:24:14

I'm building a small linux machine for a home broadband router
and firewall. The machine is based on a VIA "eden" C3 cpu on the
VIA EPIA-5000 board. What I want to find is the current
linux mini-distro that would be ideal to run on this.

I've found something called CoyoteLinux, would that work best?
One essential is that I want to run iptables and not ipchains.

Mark

Post by e47110f652b2f.. » Wed, 03 Jul 2002 12:27:25

|I'm building a small linux machine for a home broadband router
|and firewall. The machine is based on a VIA "eden" C3 cpu on the
|VIA EPIA-5000 board. What I want to find is the current
|linux mini-distro that would be ideal to run on this.
|
|I've found something called CoyoteLinux, would that work best?
|One essential is that I want to run iptables and not ipchains.

Any of several small distros will do the job. Not sure if CoyoteLinux
does iptables now, but Floppyfw sure does (www.zelow.no/floppyfw).

best small linux for doing home router/firewall

Post by Sven Putz » Thu, 04 Jul 2002 03:41:21

Quote:> I'm building a small linux machine for a home broadband router
> and firewall. The machine is based on a VIA "eden" C3 cpu on the
> VIA EPIA-5000 board.

Use the distribution of your heart, the board/processor is fast enough.

What kind of power-supply do you use? Have you found an DC/DC-board?

Post by Mark Schlege » Thu, 04 Jul 2002 13:16:33

>> I'm building a small linux machine for a home broadband router
>> and firewall. The machine is based on a VIA "eden" C3 cpu on the
>> VIA EPIA-5000 board.

> Use the distribution of your heart, the board/processor is fast enough.

> What kind of power-supply do you use? Have you found an DC/DC-board?

I got the checkercube case: (130Watt PSU):

http://www.casetronic.com/Product/PCcase/CheckerCube/checkercube.html
not cheap but there's very few choices for ITX yet and
I didn't want to wait. I'll be getting cable modem soon.

Annoyingly, the ribbon cable to the front USB ports
in the case I received by UPS will not reach the USB
motherboard port on the EPIA-5000 board. I found out
that the EPIA board has a non-standard USB header on
the extra USB port (J9 on the board). I guess casetronic
made the cable short to protect people from plugging it
in(?) to the non-standard plug.

There's at least a pdf that points out what the pins are, so
maybe I can rig up a usb cable:

http://www.ultim8pc.co.uk/miscpics/epia_pin.pdf

Mark

Post by 9d2d2c5a875a4.. » Thu, 04 Jul 2002 13:28:31

|> I'm building a small linux machine for a home broadband router
|> and firewall. The machine is based on a VIA "eden" C3 cpu on the
|> VIA EPIA-5000 board.
|
|Use the distribution of your heart, the board/processor is fast enough.

Sure but that CPU power is only needed for running services like squid,
etc. It takes little CPU power to run a packet filter. Some people feel
that a firewall should not run any unnecessary services, on the other
hand some don't want an extra server. One advantage of running a
stripped down firewall is that you don't need a disk so it can be
quieter.

Post by Dzu » Wed, 10 Jul 2002 04:53:54

> I'm building a small linux machine for a home broadband router
> and firewall. The machine is based on a VIA "eden" C3 cpu on the
> VIA EPIA-5000 board. What I want to find is the current
> linux mini-distro that would be ideal to run on this.

> I've found something called CoyoteLinux, would that work best?
> One essential is that I want to run iptables and not ipchains.

> Mark

I've built my linux firewall with my own distro running off of flash storage.
The kernel+initrd+rootfs fits 6MB on a DiskOnChip, uncompressed root FS takes
14MB of your memory.  No spinning HD, low power consumption.  It includes
dhcpcd, dhcpd, ssh, iptables, kernel 2.4.18.  I don't know if the via board
has DoC, but a DiskOnModule should do.

1. Best DSL/Cable router on the market for small home office?

I was at CompUSA today, (not really my favorite place but they are
close..) and I saw several units to choose from but only one that
mentioned working with Linux. I'm curious what brand and model people
find most stable and realiable.

Do you folks also have a feature preference among the popular models on
the market?

I'm on Verizon DSL in NYC - does this limit options or steer
preferences? The pricing I saw seemed reasonable at around $60.00
dollars for simular units.

I hope folks feel free to post thier opinions for this market item as I
assume there are many folks seeking such information :-)

2. BEWARE thelinuxstore.com , also known as msquaredsystems.com CUSTOMER

3. small linux firewall/router advice

4. Disable Crystal Audio CS4232

5. best router for home linux lan? Netgear?

6. X server crashes (plz help!!)

7. BEST Linux distribution for ROUTER/FIREWALL machine?

8. Conecting to terminals and LAN.

9. Best Linux Firewall/Router/Web Server Distribution

10. Linux, Router/Firewall & @Home

11. iptables for linux router/firewall on home lan

12. Linux Router or Cisco Router for Small Office Internet Line

13. Question re FreeBSD on floppy suitable for small home router/gateway