Data overrun problem

Post by Lars Hofhans » Fri, 15 Nov 1996 04:00:00

> I have a US Robotics Sportster 28.8 external modem and a serial card with a
> 16650
> uart on it. I've noticed very slow xfer rates (consistently < 1k) when
> downloading
> files or mail. When I issue a netstat -in command, I see lots of overrun
> errors,
> both incoming and outgoing on my sl0 link. However, if I issue an ifconfig
> sl0
> command, I see that these overruns are being reported as compressed frames.
> I'm running DIP using CSLIP.

> I'm trying to figure out which is true. If they really are overruns, as
> netstat
> reports, then that would account for the slow transfer rate and maybe my
> serial
> card is broken. But, if they'really compressed frames, as ifconfig reports,
> then
> that wouldn't account for the slow transfer rate.

> Has anyone got any ideas about this?  I'm also using the 2.0.24 kernel and
> slackware96 from the Sept 96 Developer's Rsource Kit.  I noticed the same
> behaviour
> with my old 1.2.1 kernel.

> Thanks,  Chuck

Hi,

if -by any chance- you have an IDE-harddrive, try to use
hdparm /dev/your_drive -u 1
That will reduce the interrupt latency greatly!

NOTE: On some (bad, old, cheap, pick one) this might cause
file-system-corruption. I used this on all machines I had, without
the least problem though.

        Lars

Data overrun problem