CHAP and PAP authentication

Post by Tom Kerswil » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 00:08:04

Hi,

I've been trying for ages to get my ISDN connection to the Internet to work.
I have found out that my service provider (Bt internet) uses CHAP
authentication. I have tried entering password details into
/ect/ppp/chap-secrets as well as pap-secrets.  However, when I try to open a
connection, I get this message in /var/log/messages  :
PAP authentication failed

Is there a further step I must carry out in order to let isdnctrl know that
I want to use CHAP authentication rather than PAP, or should this happen
automatically? Might there be something else I need to do? Does anyone
perhaps have any further info on configuring BT internet??? Help!!

thanks very much :-)

Tom

Post by Joerg Morbitze » Sat, 16 Dec 2000 01:04:29

> Hi,

> I've been trying for ages to get my ISDN connection to the Internet to work.
> I have found out that my service provider (Bt internet) uses CHAP
> authentication. I have tried entering password details into
> /ect/ppp/chap-secrets as well as pap-secrets.  However, when I try to open a
> connection, I get this message in /var/log/messages  :
> PAP authentication failed

> Is there a further step I must carry out in order to let isdnctrl know that
> I want to use CHAP authentication rather than PAP, or should this happen
> automatically? Might there be something else I need to do? Does anyone
> perhaps have any further info on configuring BT internet??? Help!!

> thanks very much :-)

> Tom

As far as I know you can make a soft link between these
two files (easier to maintain them).
Concerning your auth problem you either use a wrong
username or password, double-check them again (does
it run under Windows ?).

        Regards, Joerg.

Post by Clifford Kit » Sun, 17 Dec 2000 00:02:30

> Hi,
> I've been trying for ages to get my ISDN connection to the Internet
> to work.  I have found out that my service provider (Bt internet)
> uses CHAP authentication. I have tried entering password details
> into /ect/ppp/chap-secrets as well as pap-secrets.  However, when I
> try to open a connection, I get this message in /var/log/messages  :
> PAP authentication failed

Exact copies of log messages with context are much better.  This may
mean that you failed to authenticate yourself to the peer, or it could
mean that you are inadvertently requiring the ISP to authenticate itself
to you.

Quote:> Is there a further step I must carry out in order to let isdnctrl
> know that I want to use CHAP authentication rather than PAP, or
> should this happen automatically? Might there be something else I
> need to do? Does anyone perhaps have any further info on configuring
> BT internet??? Help!!

You can *try* using the pppd option "refuse-pap", read the pppd man
page for details, but it's the ISP that determines what you can or
cannot use to authenticate yourself to it.  That option may very well
cause the connection to fail.

It's usually better to configure both the pap-secrets and chap-secrets
with the same secrets line.  Some ISPs may even have some hosts that
use PAP but not CHAP, and some that are configured the opposite way.

--

/* The signal-to-noise ratio is too low in many [news] groups to make
 * them good candidates for archiving.

1. pppd - PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 protocol negotiation

Hi,

We have clients connecting to pppd 2.4.2b1.
Clients are able to connect using PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP, MS-CHAP-v2 if
the pppd configuration is set up to require a specific protocol, eg:

If we change /etc/ppp/options to not request a specific protocol,
clients can only connect using PAP or MS-CHAP-V2. Client trying to
connect through CHAP or MS-CHAP fail and Pppd logs the error "peer
refused to authenticate: terminating link"

pppd configuration:

We'd like our clients to be able to connect using PAP, CHAP, MS-CHAP
or MS-CHAP-v2, the protocol being negotiated by server and client...

I suppose it's a pppd configuration issue; any help is highly
appreciated.
Thx.
dan

2. FTP configuration

3. one script for pap/chap and manual authentication

4. Solaris x86 and PIII/Athlon prefetch and SSE

5. PAP & CHAP authentication in PPP

6. lpstat

7. Pap/Chap authentication with Suse Linux

8. Licq doesn't want to go online

9. CHAP or PAP authentication

10. Problem with authentication - PAP/CHAP

11. Is it possible to make PPP use authentication server vs PAP/CHAP?

12. Howto dial ISP running NT4 - chap, pap, ms-chap?

13. Request for Help with pap/chap pppd dial-in script