ping problem

Post by Daniel Hoga » Wed, 29 Dec 1999 04:00:00

If I try to ping a router on a remote network that is down using 'ping
-c 3 -i 1 10.193.64.1', it will attempt to ping that device for infinite
number of times.  If I try to ping a device that is down on a network
that I can access, it will only try it three times.  Is there a way to
make the pinging stop after 3 packets have been sent if that router is
down?  This is really messing up my "what's down" script.

---
Daniel Hogan
Computer Technician
Richland Parish Schools

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

ping problem

Post by Daniel Hoga » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

The problem I was having occurred on a machine running Redhat 6.1.  I
just attempted to ping the same router on another machine running
Mandrake 6.0.  The Mandrake 6.0 machine ran perfectly.  Therefore, this
must be a bug in the version of ping that ships with Redhat 6.1.

My next question....  Who makes 'ping' and where can I find the newest
version?

Quote:> If I try to ping a router on a remote network that is down using 'ping

--

Post by Tom East » Thu, 30 Dec 1999 04:00:00

>The problem I was having occurred on a machine running Redhat 6.1.  I
>just attempted to ping the same router on another machine running
>Mandrake 6.0.  The Mandrake 6.0 machine ran perfectly.  Therefore, this
>must be a bug in the version of ping that ships with Redhat 6.1.

>My next question....  Who makes 'ping' and where can I find the newest
>version?

Since Redhat 6.1 was released after Mandrake 6.0, it's very likely that
the 'ping' on RH6.1 is of a later version than the one from Mandrake 6.0.

To determine what package ping belongs to on either RedHat or Mandrake
(which incidently is RedHat based):

        $ whereis ping
        /bin/ping
        $ rpm -qf /bin/ping
        netkit-base-0.10-37

The above is on RedHat 6.1 -- you'll have to do it yourself on Mandrake.

Beyond all of that, had you considered the -w flag in ping? Seems like
that's exactly what you need, regardless of which version of netkit-base you
are using.

-Tom

BTW - your question "Who makes 'ping'?" suggests that you have yet to grasp
the concept of open source software....
--
Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here

Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer

ping problem

Post by Daniel Hoga » Fri, 31 Dec 1999 04:00:00

The version of ping that is shipped with RedHat 6.1 is newer than the
one in Mandrake 6.0.  I did try the -w option, but it failed as well.  I
am going to search around for a newer version of this package.
Hopefully there is one.  Thanks for your help.

Daniel

> >The problem I was having occurred on a machine running Redhat 6.1.  I
> >just attempted to ping the same router on another machine running
> >Mandrake 6.0.  The Mandrake 6.0 machine ran perfectly.  Therefore,
this
> >must be a bug in the version of ping that ships with Redhat 6.1.

> >My next question....  Who makes 'ping' and where can I find the
newest
> >version?

> Since Redhat 6.1 was released after Mandrake 6.0, it's very likely
that
> the 'ping' on RH6.1 is of a later version than the one from Mandrake
6.0.

> To determine what package ping belongs to on either RedHat or Mandrake
> (which incidently is RedHat based):

>    $ whereis ping
>    /bin/ping
>    $ rpm -qf /bin/ping
>    netkit-base-0.10-37

> The above is on RedHat 6.1 -- you'll have to do it yourself on
Mandrake.

> Beyond all of that, had you considered the -w flag in ping? Seems like
> that's exactly what you need, regardless of which version of
netkit-base you
> are using.

> -Tom

> BTW - your question "Who makes 'ping'?" suggests that you have yet to
grasp
> the concept of open source software....
> --
> Tom Eastep               \    Opinions expressed here

> Shoreline, Washington USA  \    those of my employer

--
Daniel Hogan
Computer Technician
Richland Parish Schools

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

ping problem

Post by William R. Matti » Tue, 18 Jan 2000 04:00:00

Daniel,

You might want to take a look at fping. I can't recall where it lives but a
web search ought to turn it up. Its made for inclusion in scripts because
it returns "hostname" is alive type messages and won't just time out
endlessly if the target host is hosed.

Regards

Bill

--
William R. Mattil       | Fred Astaire wasn't so great.

(972) 399-4106          | and... in high heels.

1. ping problem - only one ping made although -c option

Hi !

Another strange issue on my linux box...
When i do a "ping", it always transmits only _one_ packet
and then "hangs", I'll have to CTRL-C out to stop it.

It doesn't matter at all if i specify the -c option or not...
Its very likely that i messed up something on my box, because
that problem wasn't there a few weeks ago.

(I had some problems with shared libraries, maybe thats
where to start searching ?)

Example:

Centaur:/var/named # ping localhost -c 50
PING localhost (127.0.0.1): 56 data bytes

--> no more packets here....after a few minutes CTRL-C'ing out:

--- localhost ping statistics ---
round-trip min/avg/max = 0.431/0.431/0.431 ms

Any suggestion whats going wrong here?

Watz

2. et4000 & X - how?!

3. pinging localhost (was: ping problems)

4. Jaz Jet SCSI card - flakey?

5. PPP ping problem; PPP local address?

6. nfs-server slowdown in 2.4.20-pre10 with client 2.2.19

7. Ping-problem on INT LAN on multihomed router?

8. libc.so.4 - where?

9. Ping problem

10. Ping Problems

11. Ping Problem