Linux/ISDN throughput (BitSurfer Pro vs. router)

Linux/ISDN throughput (BitSurfer Pro vs. router)

Post by James L » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

I currently have ISDN connected to my Linux machine
using a Motorola BitSurferPro modem using 2B (ppp
which pap authentication).

My throughput leaves something to be desired (if I
ftp a large file, I get no more than 80K/sec).

First, is someone else using the same modem connected
to a Linux machine, and if so, what is your throughput?
How can I increase what I have?

Second, I am considering getting an ISDN router.  Is
anyone using an ISDN router with Linux?  If so, what is
your throughput?  Does Stac compression really work?  Any
router recommendations (I am looking at the Netgear router
due to its low price) would be appreciated.

Many thanks in advance,
James Lee

Post by Peter E. Fr » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

> I currently have ISDN connected to my Linux machine
> using a Motorola BitSurferPro modem using 2B (ppp
> which pap authentication).

> My throughput leaves something to be desired (if I
> ftp a large file, I get no more than 80K/sec).

  Sounds like you're running at 115,200.  If you run at 230,400 you can
reach a full 128kb/s (with VJ, a tad higher (reported)).

Quote:> First, is someone else using the same modem connected
> to a Linux machine, and if so, what is your throughput?
> How can I increase what I have?

  That's it.  The Hayes ESP works well under Linux, and is a fairly
cheap single (new or used) or dual (used) port card.  Another good
option is the Comtrol Rocketport 4J -- search for it at
<http://www.uvision.com>, you'll find it for <$100.

Quote:> Second, I am considering getting an ISDN router.  Is
> anyone using an ISDN router with Linux?  If so, what is
> your throughput?  Does Stac compression really work?  Any
> router recommendations (I am looking at the Netgear router
> due to its low price) would be appreciated.

  I use an ALR Autobahn (I've used many different ones at one time or
another -- they're almost all (essentially) equivalent hardware
(Motorola 68360 with a bit of flash and a few MB of RAM), they vary
widely in software.
  Throughput will be about the same as your BitSurfr (running at
230,400) -- the advantage is in reduced latency (only a real concern for
gamers).  STAC works well on compressible files -- I've gotten >1Mb/s
over a 64k channel on a text file that consisted of all Qs and As.
Disadvantages: It does nothing to files which are already compressed,
and if you dial into a high-density remote access server the performance
of that unit (under compression (downloads)) will likely not impress.
  Say, as an aside, does anybody know of a software (PC-based) PPP that
negotiates CCP (for STAC)?  Your system CPU has just a bit more power
than your 68360 (or worse, your 68302)...
  The Netgear RT328 is highly regarded, especially considering its low
price.  I would watch it carefully if you use it as a nailed/static
router (as opposed to intermittent/NAT) -- three people have complained
to me of lockups (which may be due to an apparent GTE policy of dropping
idle ISDN connections).  The Autobahn is a very nice unit as well.
Generally, the only way you can go wrong is to pay too much.

Take it easy.

Peter E. Fry

Linux/ISDN throughput (BitSurfer Pro vs. router)

Post by Raj Mania » Tue, 28 Apr 1998 04:00:00

The bitsurfers tend to be a little on the slow side. So don't expect
(even with a 230kps serial) to get you full 128k, or 112k depending on
you localation. I've found the Impact a better performer, at least for
me.

-raj

> > I currently have ISDN connected to my Linux machine
> > using a Motorola BitSurferPro modem using 2B (ppp
> > which pap authentication).

> > My throughput leaves something to be desired (if I
> > ftp a large file, I get no more than 80K/sec).

1. Help. PPP vs. Minicom; Bitsurfer Pro ISDN

Hello-

 I am having a problem with PPP. I know, Sigh-

I have a redhat 4.0 box with kernel 2.0.18 and ISDN Bitsurfer pro and I
have  static IP Address with my ISP.
When I dial into my ISP using minicom , I log in and see the ISP start
up the ppp connection and it spits out both the remote and local IP
Addresses. I then quit out of minicom (using the alt-a-q sequence) and
then I run "pppd -d -detach /dev/cua1 &" after which I see the ppp0
interface in ifconfig.  I only then need to do a route add statement to
get everything working.

Here's my problem, when I try to automate this using a chat script and
and options file I cant get on line.  I set up using bare options of
        lock
        connect -vf /etc/ppp/chat
        modem
        /dev/cua1
        38400
        crtscts

my chatscript is very minimal as well, it merely echos what i do in
minicom. It has the usual abort lines and ends with

        ogin:   MYLOGIN
        word:   MYPASSWD

According to the debug logs, what happens differently (or doesn't
happen) when I do it using the options and the chat file is that after
the chat script connects and logs in but I don't see the ip addresses
get assigned.  Adding the local:remote address line in options doesn't
help. The last thing of relevance I see is:

LCP terminated at peer's request

Any clues? I've done quite a few PPP connections before but this has had
me stumped for a week now. Frankly, it is pissing me off. I just don't
understand why the log in sequence works with minicom and not with the
chatscript.
Oh, and my serial is set to spd_vhi and my init string is ATF.  Does

-Esteban

2. Want come Help ==> catia v3 (fic data) transfer to catia v4 (model data)

3. does Motorola Bitsurfer Pro work with linux + ascend 1800 router

4. sbrk() and brk() semantics

5. Bitsurfer Pro ISDN & Linux

6. Printing to an NT-based printer

7. HELP: Linux, ISDN and the Motorola BitSURFER Pro EZ

8. Export NT user database

9. PPP, Linux, ISDN and BitSurfer Pro

10. ISDN Router -vs- ISDN TA with Linux masq'ing

11. Bitsurfer Pro ISDN config- 2 channel

12. Can I disable PnP on ISDN BitSurfer Pro ISA internal

13. Motorola Bitsurfer Pro ISDN ISA