Q. RedHat 5.1 and NT Password Syncronisation with Microsoft NT Unix Option Pack

Q. RedHat 5.1 and NT Password Syncronisation with Microsoft NT Unix Option Pack

Post by john » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

I have been doing some test with the Beta 2 version of Microsoft's
Unix Options pack to try to set up the automatic synchronisation of
passwords between Unix and NT. (Linux is one of the supported OS's for
the NT Unix option pack).

http://www.microsoft.com/products/prodref/759_faq.htm

This works by the NT box doing a rlogin to the Unix box and running
passwd or another named program. However, this always fails to work.

To error trace the problem, I created a script that mimics the normal
passwd program, except that it writes the responses to a text file for
later analysis. This script echo's the normal prompts and then reads
in the answers.

This dummy script shows that it is run with the command line

passwd username

but there is no response to the prompt

New UNIX password:
or to
Retype new UNIX password:

This testing demonstrates that the rlogin session is authenticated,
that the correct command is run and it looks like the NT side is
expecting to receive a string that is not the same as the one supplied
by the passwd program on RedHat Linux 5.1.

Has anyone had any success with the NT Unix Options Pack password
synchronisation service ???

Regards

John
--
E-Mail Address witheld to avoid spam mail
Do not send Unsolicited Commercial E-Mail to me

Hint change each (dot) to one .

Post by Frank Sweetse » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

Quote:john writes:
> This works by the NT box doing a rlogin to the Unix box and running
> passwd or another named program. However, this always fails to work.

> To error trace the problem, I created a script that mimics the normal
> passwd program, except that it writes the responses to a text file for
> later analysis. This script echo's the normal prompts and then reads
> in the answers.

> This dummy script shows that it is run with the command line

> passwd username

nothing goes to stdout, true, however, if your script captured stderr,
you'd see an error message saying that only root can specify a username.
it should just do 'passwd', and it'll change the passwd for the user who is
logging in.

paramount.ind.wpi.edu RedHat 5.2b2 kernel 2.1.125p1 i586 | at public servers
"Gee, sex is cheaper than computers!"
           - chuck

Q. RedHat 5.1 and NT Password Syncronisation with Microsoft NT Unix Option Pack

Post by john » Thu, 15 Oct 1998 04:00:00

You answered quickly, just about six minutes after I posted. That's
the fastest response I have every seen :-).

I should have added that the NT password syncronisation service logs
in as root using rlogin, and it should thus be able to run passwd with
a username as an argument. At least that is the theory.

Regards

John

Quote:

--
E-Mail Address witheld to avoid spam mail
Do not send Unsolicited Commercial E-Mail to me
Non Commercial Replies to be addressed to

Hint change each (dot) to one .

Q. RedHat 5.1 and NT Password Syncronisation with Microsoft NT Unix Option Pack

Post by Dan Kege » Mon, 16 Nov 1998 04:00:00

john schrieb:

Quote:> I should have added that the NT password syncronisation service logs
> in as root using rlogin, and it should thus be able to run passwd with
> a username as an argument. At least that is the theory.

You might look into using Samba to do the synchronization.
I think new features of Samba 2.0 will let you use Linux as
an NT primary domain controller or will let Linux use an NT
domain for authorizing users.
That might be better than the kind of hacked synch Microsoft
provides.
- Dan

--
Speaking only for myself, not for my employer

1. NT NT NT NT NT NT NT MT

Why is everyone comparing whatever operating system with NT?

*     / - -                           /-----/ /                          *
*    /____  /   / /----/ /----/      /       /     /----/ /---/ /----/   *
*        / / / / /----/ /----/      /       /---/ /----/ /   / /----/    *
*   ___ / /_/_/ /____  /____       /_____/ /   / /____  /   /  ____/     *

---
 t MR/2 t

2. Login choice

3. Unix NT password syncronisation

4. Sortlist under AIX 4.3.3.0 - AGAIN

5. Password Sync and Microsoft Unix Services for NT

6. Strange controller numbering with Solaris 10

7. RexTech: "Microsoft Windows NT 5.0 vs. Red Hat Linux 5.1"

8. Problems with shared libraries and X

9. after install redhat 5.1, NT can't start

10. dhcp on RedHat 5.1 and dhcp relay agent on NT 4.0

11. HP Jet Direct & NT != Redhat 5.1

12. NT/98/RedHat 5.1 Tripple Boot Help

13. Windows NT 4.0 WS/98 and Linux Redhat 5.1 - Order of installation?