Self Disconnecting TCP/IP

Post by Wayne Sitt » Fri, 12 Jul 1996 04:00:00

We have been using Linux (Caldera version, Kernel 1.2.13) for about
four months now.  We have been using it as a mail server basically.
We call in to our ISP with UUCP and upload/download mail.

        The local network is comprised of several NT servers, the Linux server,
and Windows'95 clients.  Protocols running are IPX/SPX (a la Microsoft),
and TCP/IP. The clients retrieve and send mail using Microsoft
Exchange, which uses pop and smtp. We are using static IP numbers.

Everything was running fine until several weeks ago when we had some
network problems with one of the NT servers (changing from coax to TP).
Now it seems like the Linux several TCP/IP times out.

You cannot ping it, mail cannot be collected or sent to it. To fix it all
that seems to be needed is to ping several addresses from the Linux
server. This seems to re-establish the network.

When it disconnects, the /var/log/messages file has these messages
written to it:

Jul 10 14:57:20 lxkraus kernel: eth0: mismatched read page pointers 4c vs 5d.
Jul 10 14:57:20 lxkraus kernel: eth0: mismatched read page pointers 4c vs ff.
Jul 10 14:57:20 lxkraus kernel: eth0: unexpected TX-done interrupt, lasttx=20.
Jul 10 15:12:36 lxkraus kernel: eth0: timeout waiting for Tx RDC.

Any help, ideas would be appreciated.

Wayne Sitter
Computer Programmer/Analyst
Kraus Industries Ltd.

Self Disconnecting TCP/IP

Post by Episkopos Won » Sat, 20 Jul 1996 04:00:00

Quote:> We have been using Linux (Caldera version, Kernel 1.2.13) for about
> four months now.  We have been using it as a mail server basically.
> We call in to our ISP with UUCP and upload/download mail.

>         The local network is comprised of several NT servers, the Linux server,
> and Windows'95 clients.  Protocols running are IPX/SPX (a la Microsoft),
> and TCP/IP. The clients retrieve and send mail using Microsoft
> Exchange, which uses pop and smtp. We are using static IP numbers.

> Everything was running fine until several weeks ago when we had some
> network problems with one of the NT servers (changing from coax to TP).
> Now it seems like the Linux several TCP/IP times out.

> You cannot ping it, mail cannot be collected or sent to it. To fix it all
> that seems to be needed is to ping several addresses from the Linux
> server. This seems to re-establish the network.

> When it disconnects, the /var/log/messages file has these messages
> written to it:

> Jul 10 14:57:20 lxkraus kernel: eth0: mismatched read page pointers 4c vs 5d.
> Jul 10 14:57:20 lxkraus kernel: eth0: mismatched read page pointers 4c vs ff.
> Jul 10 14:57:20 lxkraus kernel: eth0: unexpected TX-done interrupt, lasttx=20.
> Jul 10 15:12:36 lxkraus kernel: eth0: timeout waiting for Tx RDC.

> Any help, ideas would be appreciated.

I have the same problem, except it's with a dialup PPP connection. I could
be using my connection to browse web, read news, whatever. Then the next
time it sends out a request for something, the packets go out into the
void. This is completely random, and could happen at any time. But I found
that if I leave an irc session running, the incoming packets from the chat
channel will 'wake up' the link if it dies. This seems like a similar
problem, except with my ISP's gateway machine in place of the linux box.

They (Earthlink Network) refuse to acknowledge this problem, so it looks I'm
looking for a new ISP soon.

=---=
hey i'd like to daze away to a place no one has known...in a state of
mind i could call mine...that only i could own...where i could hum a tune
anytime i choose and there's no such thing as time...where i can feel
no pain just calm and sane...what a place for one to find... -Blind Melon

1. What causes immediate TCP/IP disconnects?

I have an Ultra2 machine running Solaris 2.6 with the latest patches.
The machine is configured as a router connection our LAN and
a remote site on a different subnet/network.

On trying to connect to a host on the remote network via
Telnet or any TCP/IP connection, the connection opens
and then is immediately closed without any output.  Attempting
to reopen the connection following this works fine and for
long periods.  It's only the initial connection, after having
no connection for several minutes or more, where this occurs.

On initiating a telnet session, the result is immediately:

[somehostname: remote disconnect]

It doesn't matter if the connection is originated from the Sun
terminal or a PC acting as a client.  The target machine is
running HP-UX and application can be telnet, ftp or any other.

Any idea what setting might be causing this annoying behavior?

--

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

2. DirectoryIndex recognizes .HTML but not .HTM or other extensions

3. TCP/IP timeout/disconnect

4. Gcc 2.7.2 with libg++2.6.2?

5. TCP/IP disconnect

6. Socket pogramming

7. !!DDE->TCP/IP, REAL TIME DATA PUMP, Trans.DDE App.DATA via TCP/IP

8. Cable vs DSL modems

9. SLS X wants tcp/ip, tcp/ip won't compile, what now?