collisions in 'ifconfig' info.

Post by Lee Kang Wo » Tue, 12 Oct 1999 04:00:00

When my linuxbox boots up ethernet interface comes active and
ifconfig starts with collisions '0', but as I surf the net or
do some 'networking', the number of collisions becomes quite large
and seems as if (but really is) network is unreachable.

Is there anyone that can help me with this problem?

collisions in 'ifconfig' info.

Post by Burton M. Strauss II » Fri, 22 Oct 1999 04:00:00

Some collisions are "normal" i.e. OK.   And the busier the network, the more
collisions you will see. If you get a lot and it keeps growing, there are
things to check:

1. Too long a wire run - the Ethernet standard is about 100m between the hub
and card.  You can go longer, but will see more collisions.

2. Bad wiring - a marginal cable (cat 3 not cat 5 on a long run, bad
crimping of the plugs, etc.)

3. Bad NIC or another piece of network gear - if it fails, one thing it can
do is put noise onto the Ethernet.

Basically, try swapping out these items for known good ones.  Also, be aware
that the failing device might not be yours, it could be another one on the
same network segment and the person whose machine it's in just doesn't use
the network and doesn't see the problem.

-----Burton