Gigabit linux bridge (making a gigabit switch out of a linux box)

Gigabit linux bridge (making a gigabit switch out of a linux box)

Post by David Vaez-Azi » Thu, 31 Jan 2002 10:59:34

Anyone have any experence setting up a Linux box with 2-4 Gigabit
Nic's? I'm trying to setup a switch and maybe a server in 1. Using:

x4 64bit PCI slots /w 4 64bit PCI nic's. Now is this possible? I

Now if I set this up as a big 'bridge' using the Kernel code, will
have I have trouble? Will the devices talk directly to each-other, or
will the CPU still play a roll in this? I'm sure it does, which would
be a problem, but will this work? Can any of you hard core computer
engineering guys give me some real numbers?

1. Gigabit Linux Bridge

Anyone have any experence setting up a Linux box with 2-4 Gigabit
Nic's? I'm trying to setup a switch and maybe a server in 1. Using:

x4 64bit PCI slots /w 4 64bit PCI nic's. Now is this possible? I

Now if I set this up as a big 'bridge' using the Kernel code, will
have I have trouble? Will the devices talk directly to each-other, or
will the CPU still play a roll in this? I'm sure it does, which would
be a problem, but will this work? Can any of you hard core computer
engineering guys give me some real numbers?

Thanks,

David Vaez-Azizi

2. another rpc question....

3. is a gigabit switch designed to handle all its devices talking at a giabit?

4. XFree 3.1.2 and Trio 64 question

5. Making Gigabit Ethernet the primary device on an E450

6. Password-setting flakeout?

7. Recommendation, Gigabit switches

8. hangs at smbd

9. Best 8-16 port gigabit ethernet switch?

10. Gigabit CE device and Cisco Switches

11. cluster configuration: gigabits switch connection to an external machine

12. Applications Of 10 Gigabit Ethernet Switching For Today's Enterprise Computing Environment

13. gigabit switch suggestion (with jumbo frames support)