Problem in running apache

Post by Jay D Riba » Tue, 05 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Have you edited the httpd.conf file to include the ServerName directive?
For some reason, Apache can't determine what your system's name is, which is
kind of unusual.  Simply edit the httpd.conf file and look for the
ServerName directive and set it.   The file should be fairly well
documented.  Httpd.conf can be found in various places based on how you
got/installed Apache.   I use the 'new style directory layout' with Apache,
and so my conf files reside in /usr/local/apache/etc/*.conf

You may look around /etc/httpd or thereabouts as well.

Good Luck
Jay R.

>When I excute "apachectl start". The following
>error message is given out

>"httpd: cannot determine local host name.
>use the ServerName directive to set it manually.
>./apacheckl start httpd could not........"

>Can anyone help me?????
>Also, can anyone tell me how to set "netcfg"??????

Problem in running apache

Post by Ntfs » Wed, 06 Jan 1999 04:00:00

When I excute "apachectl start". The following
error message is given out

"httpd: cannot determine local host name.
use the ServerName directive to set it manually.
./apacheckl start httpd could not........"

Can anyone help me?????
Also, can anyone tell me how to set "netcfg"??????

Problem in running apache

Post by eric lun » Wed, 13 Jan 1999 04:00:00

go to the httpd.conf file and put the the URL that you want your server
to generate there. eg www.xyz.com.hk
you may then go to control-panel network setup and add a New Host giving
it an IP address.
Alternatively, put localhost.localdomain at ServerName just to get
things started without the error message.
el

> When I excute "apachectl start". The following
> error message is given out

> "httpd: cannot determine local host name.
> use the ServerName directive to set it manually.
> ./apacheckl start httpd could not........"

> Can anyone help me?????
> Also, can anyone tell me how to set "netcfg"??????

1. Apache and INS

I'd like to find out if there are any known problems with Apache
serving up and INS file.  We are attempting to provide a solution
(using FreeBSD/Apache vs IIS/ASP) that will sniff the browser a user is
using and then if it is Internet Explorer send an INS file down that
will set a proxy.  We have had it work but only on one of four test
computers.  I want to make sure it is not an Apache thing since the
window lovers at work are pushing for us to use IIS (uggh).  Any help
would be appreciated.  Please cc your response to my email address at

William Cochran

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

2. CDE (or style) icons??? WHERE??

3. supraexpress modems (28.8) problems w/dial-ins

4. Apache Win32 + ssl + ntlm authentication

5. Netscape plug-ins problem

6. X wont run except as root

7. Problems with dialing out when dial-ins are enabled

8. broken flock() emulation?

9. Netscape 4.51 and plug-ins problem

10. Access from Apache to a computer where no Apache is running ?

11. Question: Running Apache SSL and Apache non-SSL on one server

12. Problems running Apache and Oracle 8

13. problem keeping apache running after start