Using a Linux dial in PPP with Windows NT

Using a Linux dial in PPP with Windows NT

Post by Steve Wentwort » Wed, 10 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Greetings all..

I work in a shop that primarily uses a Win NT 4.0 network, but we are
dissatisfied with it (big surprise!!) and have been testing samba. I
have tried to set up NT RAS, and needless to say, it was not the best
experience of my life.

The question is:

Is there a way to configure a RedHat Linux 5.2 box as a Dial in server,
and have it authenticate users and enable them to browse shares on the
NT network?

Any input that anyone can provide would be greatly appreciated..

Thank you in adavance..

Steve Wentworth

Using a Linux dial in PPP with Windows NT

Post by scott fag » Thu, 11 Feb 1999 04:00:00

Yes, have a read of the PPP howto's, they should cover both dialout and
dialin setups.

There are extensions to ppp that convince it to provide MS-DNS and WINS
info to dial in clients

--
=========================
remove the PAM from my email address to mail me...

1. PPP dial-ins refused, OSR-5 with net100

We're having problems at several client sites running OSR-5 with the
rs500d and net100 patches applied.  PPP is better than it was, but
there are still problems where dial-in PPP connections will work fine
for a while, then will fail to start (usually around 10pm when I'm not
near a system to be able to check anything :-).

I have the system configured so that users logging in through a serial
port are presented with a prompt asking whether they want to start
PPP.  If they want PPP it sets the HOME environment variable and execs
/usr/lib/ppp:
    HOME=/usr/lib/ppp; export HOME
    exec /usr/lib/ppp/ppp

These all are using dynamic IP assignment with entries in the
/etc/ppphosts of the form:
*bill remote=+pool1 flow=rtscts proxy idle=60

Before I installed the net100 patches, this same behaviour would occur
(PPP works for a while then stops), with syslog entries saying the it
couldn't find pool entries once it started failing.  These messages
aren't appearing any more, and I'm still trying to isolate the
problem.

Has anybody else experienced things like this?

These machines are directly connected to the Internet via high speed
lines, CSU/DSU, and routers so there's no need for outgoing PPP, only
dial-in.  Is there any reason to have a pppd running all the time in
this case or can I comment out the startup on /etc/tcp?  The only
thing this process seems to do is generate lots of messages in the
/usr/adm/syslog file of the form:
    Jan  8 08:11:35 tally pppd[282]: can't get passwd for local host
    Jan  8 08:11:35 tally pppd[282]: getppphostent: no local host ID

Bill
--

UUCP:              camco!bill   2835 82nd Avenue S.E. S-100
FAX:           (206) 232-9186   Mercer Island, WA 98040; (206) 947-5591

2. APC UPS BK600 with Linux Slackware

3. how to connect (ppp) with a windows nt machine that dials back?

4. knode and leafnode

5. Is PPP to Windows-NT with dial back possible?

6. d4d

7. concurrent ppp dial-ins

8. Can I just have a .xsession on Sol8?

9. HP-9000 UNIX system as dial-in TCP/IP PPP system for Windows NT PCs

10. IP Accounting doesn't work for PPP dial-ins :-(( ??

11. Dialing into a Windows NT RAS server with callback with PPP

12. Linux - NT ppp using analogue line (null modem driver on nt)