Help with Samba/Cups Printer Sharing

Post by Joe Davidso » Mon, 05 Nov 2001 14:28:55

I'd appreciate any help anyone can give.  I've been running RedHat 7.1 for
about 6 months now, with very few problems... then I tried to install a
new printer.  So far, I've got a new usb Epson C80 working flawlessly on
the Linux box under Cups+Gimp-print 4.1.99b4, so I'm quite sure I can rule
out any USB problems or printer problems.  I want to share this printer
with a Win98 computer.  I'm running Samba 2.0.10-2, and can access
directories on the RedHat box from the Win98 machine, so I believe I have
the BASICS of samba working.  I had an old Epson 640 shared via samba on
the RH box using LPRng, it worked w/out any problem.  All the research I've
done tells me to change the smb.conf file line to "printing = CUPS" and
I've done that in several places (global and printer specific).  I can see
a file appear in /var/spool/samba so I know the file's getting there.
 I just can't figure out the break down.  The cups error log reports
unsupported format- application/octet stream.  Help!

Post by Karl Heye » Mon, 05 Nov 2001 21:45:30

> I'd appreciate any help anyone can give.  I've been running RedHat
> 7.1 for about 6 months now, with very few problems... then I tried
> to install a new printer.  So far, I've got a new usb Epson C80
> working flawlessly on the Linux box under Cups+Gimp-print 4.1.99b4,
> so I'm quite sure I can rule out any USB problems or printer
> problems.  I want to share this printer with a Win98 computer.  I'm
> running Samba 2.0.10-2, and can access directories on the RedHat box
> from the Win98 machine, so I believe I have the BASICS of samba
> working.  I had an old Epson 640 shared via samba on the RH box
> using LPRng, it worked w/out any problem.  All the research I've
> done tells me to change the smb.conf file line to "printing = CUPS"
> and I've done that in several places (global and printer specific).
> I can see a file appear in /var/spool/samba so I know the file's
> getting there.
>  I just can't figure out the break down.  The cups error log reports
> unsupported format- application/octet stream.  Help!

What are you sending from the client.

karl.

Help with Samba/Cups Printer Sharing

Post by Joe Davidso » Mon, 05 Nov 2001 22:29:22

Most everything has givn me that error.  I've tried sending web pages,
Outlook Memos, text from Notepad and so on.  I must say that the web
pages don't give me that error, but they don't print either.  Windows
gives no sign of an error at all.  Any ideas?

In article

Post by Karl Heye » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 02:32:01

> Most everything has givn me that error.  I've tried sending web
> pages, Outlook Memos, text from Notepad and so on.  I must say that
> the web pages don't give me that error, but they don't print either.
>  Windows gives no sign of an error at all.  Any ideas?

I suspect your clients are just dumping the RAW bytes to the samba
device, no conversion to postscript etc.  Many web pages are not
printer friendly (eg A4 in the UK, letter in America).   So the
question you have to ask yourself is what converts the proprietary
formats to whatever your printer understands.

No error appears as it's successfully sent the data to the network
printer, the fact that it doesn't know what to do with it is
something else.

typically send it as postscript/ASCII.

karl.

Help with Samba/Cups Printer Sharing

Post by Joe Davidso » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 22:25:08

Karl--

I appreciate your help on this.  Based on your hint, I installed a
generic/text-only printer on my Win98 machine and now I can actually
print.  Unfortunately, as you'd suspect, I can only print black text, but
at least it's progress. I know for a fact now that Samba or USB issues
can't be the problem.  So, what do I need to install on the Win98
client in order to receive the benefits of a nice color printer?
Obviously the out-of-box Windows driver doesn't work!  Did I
miss something?  I appreciate any additional help.  Thanks.

Joe

In article

Post by Marilyn Manso » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 22:18:36

>> Most everything has givn me that error.  I've tried sending web
>> pages, Outlook Memos, text from Notepad and so on.  I must say that
>> the web pages don't give me that error, but they don't print either.
>>  Windows gives no sign of an error at all.  Any ideas?

> I suspect your clients are just dumping the RAW bytes to the samba
> device, no conversion to postscript etc.  nMany web pages are not
> printer friendly (eg A4 in the UK, letter in America).   So the
> question you have to ask yourself is what converts the proprietary
> formats to whatever your printer understands.

> No error appears as it's successfully sent the data to the network
> printer, the fact that it doesn't know what to do with it is
> something else.

> typically send it as postscript/ASCII.

> karl.

I think you need a newer Samba because older versions don't support
printer sharing. I'm not sure but try a version above 2.2.

Post by Karl Heye » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 23:47:16

>> karl.

> I think you need a newer Samba because older versions don't support
> printer sharing. I'm not sure but try a version above 2.2.

printer sharing is supported but CUPS integration is better supported
under 2.2.2

karl

Post by Karl Heye » Tue, 06 Nov 2001 23:49:25

> Karl--

> I appreciate your help on this.  Based on your hint, I installed a
> generic/text-only printer on my Win98 machine and now I can actually
> print.  Unfortunately, as you'd suspect, I can only print black
> text, but at least it's progress. I know for a fact now that Samba
> or USB issues can't be the problem.  So, what do I need to install
> on the Win98 client in order to receive the benefits of a nice color
> printer? Obviously the out-of-box Windows driver doesn't work!  Did
> I miss something?  I appreciate any additional help.  Thanks.

The windows driver may work, it depends if it needs access to the
hardware. I suspect it can work, or try a generic postscript driver.

karl.

1. Sharing a WinXP printer with Samba/CUPS/Mandrake 9.1

I have a small network setup with a WinXP Home machine with Canon
BJC-2000 printer attached, connected to a Linux box with Mandrake 9.1.
I managed to provide file sharing through Samba, however I cannot yet
print files from the Linux box on the Win XP printer. I though I have
done everything correctly:
- I have enabled printer sharing in Windows XP
- Samba finds the printer share
- I can execute lpr on the Linux box, and the file can be found in the
queue on the Linux box, but
- The file is not present in the printer queue on the XP box, and no
printout takes place

If anybody can point me to some solution to that, I would appreciate that.

Thanks in advance,

Jacek

2. Asynchronous I/O: how to get SIGIO to work?

3. Samba problems : can't read the shared dir, no shared printer

4. Problems with GCC

5. CUPS share via Samba

6. Modem not receive and send faxs

7. CUPS printer hangs after inactivity, requires CUPS restart

8. I need a token-ring card!

9. Canon i320 printer + CUPS + Turboprint + Samba

10. Problem w/ Samba/Cups network printer

11. FreeBSD, CUPS, Samba, Jetdirect Printers, Win98

12. rh8.0 ? Sharing Printers with CUPS ?

13. Sharing CUPS Printer