LDAP trouble with RedHat 7.1, please help

LDAP trouble with RedHat 7.1, please help

Post by Vladimir Goncharo » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 18:57:07

                Hi, Eric

> Hi all !
> So could someone send me a valid "slapd.conf", "ldap.conf" and LDIF file
> to populate my LDAP database with one organization, one
> organizationalUnit and one person entry, this for RedHat 7.1 ?
> By the way where went "ldif2ldbm" command ?

  I don't have RedHat distribution, but I think you could try to use
        slapadd command to populate your database.

        WBR, Vladimir Goncharov

LDAP trouble with RedHat 7.1, please help

Post by Eric LEMAITR » Tue, 02 Oct 2001 20:56:28

Priviet (Hi) Vladimir !

>>So could someone send me a valid "slapd.conf", "ldap.conf" and LDIF file
>>to populate my LDAP database with one organization, one
>>organizationalUnit and one person entry, this for RedHat 7.1 ?
>>By the way where went "ldif2ldbm" command ?

>  I don't have RedHat distribution, but I think you could try to use
>    slapadd command to populate your database.

Saddly, I allready used both "slapadd" and "ldapadd" forms of commands,
without any success. For one of them succeeded and seemed to populate
LDAP database but when you used an LDAP client to fetch info it allways
failed saying "no such object", while other command never succeeded with
any personn entry .
Thanks anyway Vladimir, but it can't be so simple. I searched for hours
and tried all what doc said.

Bye !

--
    ^
       Eric LEMAITRE

Post by Kenneth Grav » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 11:08:25

>In previous Linux RedHat versions, I had a running LDAP config, but on
>RedHat 7.1 version, nothing works any longer.
>Of course, I read all docs and lost many hours trying to make my config
>work, but I achieved nothing. I cannot figure out whether my config is
>bad or whether LDAP service is broken (in RedHat 7.0, TFTP server was
>broken so it didn't work whatever the config).

Openldap went from 1.x to 2.x, which is much pickier about syntax.
(Annoyingly so in my opinion; schemas can go hang.)

May sure you have defined suffix in /etc/openldap/slapd.conf.
In your case, I think

suffix  "o=Pingouins, c=FR"

Then make sure you add (using ldapadd or slapadd) entries in the
correct order (organization, then organizationalunit, then person).

--kag

LDAP trouble with RedHat 7.1, please help

Post by Eric LEMAITR » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 17:13:34

Hi Kenneth !

>Openldap went from 1.x to 2.x, which is much pickier about syntax.
>(Annoyingly so in my opinion; schemas can go hang.)

>May sure you have defined suffix in /etc/openldap/slapd.conf.
>In your case, I think

>suffix      "o=Pingouins, c=FR"

>Then make sure you add (using ldapadd or slapadd) entries in the correct order (organization, then organizationalunit, then person).

Saddly I effectively did that allready, it still didn't work.
I insist on the fact that it worked before (but by constructing database
with "ldif2ldbm" command from an LDIF file), and that the "slapadd -l
file.ldif" works and constructs the database, but anyway from a standard
LDAP client (Netscape Messenger) I allways get a "no such object" each
time I try to use it.
What is worse with my LDIF file is that even with "-n" option of
"ldapadd ..... -f file.ldif" it seems to work (this option simply checks
for correct syntax without constructing LDAP database so as to avoid any
uncomplete entry), but when I try to without the option it fails :-(( .

Perhaps I should ask this another way, could anyone who achieved to make
OpenLDAP run on RedHat 7.1 send me its files "slapd.conf", "ldap.conf"
and one LDIF file with one Organiztion plus one OrganizationalUnit plus
one Person entry ?

Best regards, thanks for answering anyway :-) .

--
    ^
       Eric LEMAITRE
  / V \   CNAM Computer Engineer, MSCS
 //   \\  RHCE & RHCX, Certified Red-Hat Linux Engineer & Trainer
/ (   ) \ Cisco CCNA Certified
   ^~^    Head of Internet/Linux Education Department

LDAP trouble with RedHat 7.1, please help

Post by Vladimir Goncharo » Wed, 03 Oct 2001 21:19:02

        Hi, again

> I insist on the fact that it worked before (but by constructing database
> with "ldif2ldbm" command from an LDIF file), and that the "slapadd -l
> file.ldif" works and constructs the database, but anyway from a standard
> LDAP client (Netscape Messenger) I allways get a "no such object" each

 Last chance: did you try -x switch? I've got several terrible minutes
        when I was trying to get right answer from fresh copy of openldap bases ( it
        was configured with SASL authentification).

        WBR, Vladimir Goncharov

LDAP trouble with RedHat 7.1, please help

Post by Eric LEMAITR » Thu, 04 Oct 2001 00:48:36

Priviet (Hi) Vladimir & All !

>Last chance: did you try -x switch? I've got several terrible minutes
>    when I was trying to get right answer from fresh copy of openldap bases ( it
>    was configured with SASL authentification).

I got it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
But as it was really hard to find out, I give out the solution to the
whole NewsGroup anyway so that people don't loose time as I did.
Very saddly, as I feared but I didn't believe it, LDAP server was simply
broken in RedHat 7.1 as TFTP server was in previous RedHat version
(7.0), which means the network service COULD NOT WORK whatever the config.
To fix the whole thing, I had to update RPM packages related to LDAP
server using "Roswell" beta 7.2 version. This allowed me immediately to
build an LDAP database with one Organization & some OrganizationalUnits
right away without changing anything, which definitely proves LDAP
server was broken in previous version. But I still couldn't add any
Person including an EMail property (without EMail it worked), so I had
to investigate and I discovered that for a person to have an EMail
property, it had to be a "inetOrgPerson", not a "Person", as an
objectClass. This is a feature of new "schema" system.
Now everything works, but it was hard to set :-( . I expect newest
RedHat 7.2 to fix other bugs, so I keep waiting anxiously.

Best regards all !

--
    ^
       Eric LEMAITRE
  / V \   CNAM Computer Engineer, MSCS
 //   \\  RHCE & RHCX, Certified Red-Hat Linux Engineer & Trainer
/ (   ) \ Cisco CCNA Certified
   ^~^    Head of Internet/Linux Education Department

1. Installing gnotepad+ on Redhat 7.1: Please help

After installing Redhat 7.1 I soon realized that gnotepad+ had gone
missing.  This app is absolutely vital to me, so I found the homepage and
downloaded a source rpm. It is now uncompressed and residing  in
usr/src/redhat/SOURCES/gnotepad+-1.3.3.

Typing ./configure gives me an error message that reads:

checking for GTK - version >=1.0.5...no Could not run GTK test program,
checking why.... The test program failed to compile or link.  See exact
error that occured.  This usually means GTK was incorrectly installed or
that you have moved GTK since it was installed.  In the latter case, you
may want to edit the gtk-config script: usr/bin/gtk-config.
configure: error: Cannot find GTK+: Is gtk-config in executable path?

I have a gtk-config script in usr/bin, and I have a gtk-config-2.0 there
as well.  They make little sense to me.

gtk-config contains the argument:

if test "$echo_cflags" = "yes"; then
      echo -I/usr/include/gtk-1.2 $glib_cflags  -I/usr/X11R6/include

The directory  usr/include/gtk-1.2 contains /gdk and /gtk.

gtk-config-2.0 includes the argument:

if test "$echo_cflags" = "yes"; then
      includes=-I/usr/include/gtk-2.0
      echo -I/usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include $includes $glib_cflags
      -I/usr/lib/glib-2.0/include
-I/usr/include/glib-2.0  -I/usr/X11R6/include

usr/lib/gtk-2.0/include contains a file called gdkcongig.h.  That's it.
/gtk-2.0 also has a directory called /1.3.2 which contains /immodules and
/loaders.

usr/include/glib-2.0 does not seem to exist.  I have usr/include/glib-1.2

Additional notes from the config log of gnotepad+:

configure: failed program was:
#line 2043 "configure"
#include "confdefs.h"

Also:

/usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lesd

!!!Do I need this too for gnotepad+?!!!

As I was saying, this is all very cryptic to me. If any of this makes
sense to you, and you have a suggestion, please reply.

Thank you.

Shawn.

2. non GUI starting in debian

3. Redhat 7.1 No cd sound - Help Please

4. Lower Case to Caps

5. Please help me to get sound to work on redhat linux 7.1

6. Http loadbalancing for linux

7. Cox@HOME and RedHat 7.1 - Please help

8. how do I give 'root' a password

9. Please help! Installing Proxim Symphony on Redhat 7.1

10. Please Help with LDAP trouble

11. MS O2K LDAP to SUSE 7.1 - Help!!

12. MS O2K LDAP to Suse 7.1 - Help!!