Netscape 6.0 release date ?

Post by Arctic Stor » Wed, 08 Nov 2000 11:48:45

I know that the preview release 3 is available, but I read that it's too
unstable for daily tasks.
I'm currently runnig Netscape 4.75, and it crashes very frequently.
When can I expect the final release of Netscape 6?  Something more
stable than version 4.75.

-

Netscape 6.0 release date ?

Post by Jonatha » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 10:29:48

Quote:> I know that the preview release 3 is available, but I read that it's
too
> unstable for daily tasks.
> I'm currently runnig Netscape 4.75, and it crashes very frequently.
> When can I expect the final release of Netscape 6?  Something more
> stable than version 4.75.

> -

If the beta is any indication of the RAM it will consume I don't care
when they release 6.  v.4.75 uses about 9Mb and the 6 beta I tried used
almost 30!

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Netscape 6.0 release date ?

Post by Ian Mortime » Thu, 09 Nov 2000 04:00:00

: I know that the preview release 3 is available, but I read that it's too
: unstable for daily tasks.
: I'm currently runnig Netscape 4.75, and it crashes very frequently.
: When can I expect the final release of Netscape 6?  Something more
: stable than version 4.75.

Version 4.76 has just recently been released.  Fixes a few bugs.
Hasn't crashed on me yet (but then 4.75 didn't crash very often either).

Netscape 6.0 release date ?

Post by ArcticSt.. » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 10:23:05

Hey, you wrote, "... but then 4.75 didn't crash very often either."
Are you on *?  Netscape 4.75 for Linux is so crash-prone that I
actually fear using it.  Not only that, it so much lacks features that
I run MS Explorer 5 via VMWare (VMWware emulates a virtual computer,
and I run Windows on the virual computer, so I can use MS Explorer.)
Besides the fact that Netscape lacks convenient/necessary features,
it's very buggy; it crashes too often, and it's too unreliable for
daily tasks; heavily Java-enhanced web sites are the "no-fly-zones" for
Nestscape.  Its newsreader also sucks.  I haven't seen Netscape 6, yet,
but I hope the version 6 will change my view of Netscape.  Because the
internet and web is no important to today's computing that it's
disappointing that Linux would fall behind Windows in such a crucial
application.

-

Before you buy.

Netscape 6.0 release date ?

Post by Sean » Fri, 10 Nov 2000 12:37:58

> Hey, you wrote, "... but then 4.75 didn't crash very often either."
> Are you on *?  Netscape 4.75 for Linux is so crash-prone that I
> actually fear using it.  Not only that, it so much lacks features that
> I run MS Explorer 5 via VMWare (VMWware emulates a virtual computer,
> and I run Windows on the virual computer, so I can use MS Explorer.)
> Besides the fact that Netscape lacks convenient/necessary features,
> it's very buggy; it crashes too often, and it's too unreliable for
> daily tasks; heavily Java-enhanced web sites are the "no-fly-zones" for
> Nestscape.  Its newsreader also sucks.  I haven't seen Netscape 6, yet,
> but I hope the version 6 will change my view of Netscape.  Because the
> internet and web is no important to today's computing that it's
> disappointing that Linux would fall behind Windows in such a crucial
> application.

> -

> Sent via Deja.com http://www.veryComputer.com/
> Before you buy.

I am using both netscape 6 revision 3 and netscape 4.6 which came with
Mandrake 6. I have noticed that netscape 6.0 has a better looking
interface and <form> display. The only problems I have with it is that
it takes twice as long to load as 4.6 and it doesn't use style sheets
(CSS) properly. My netscape 4.6 crashes more than 6.0 but it does
display the pages properly just before it crashes.

I think I am going to install 4.76 tonight to see if it is a happy
medium between the two. Hopefully it will display the pages properly,
load in less than 30 seconds, and not crash once it does.

Sean