VPN client: Is there one for Linux ?

Post by 262bffc » Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:38:00

I want to use my Linux workstation to work from home.

My company uses an Intel Shiva VPN.  Their network is a Windos domain.

Is there a VPN client for Linux?

I looked at pptp but that seems only for Microsoft tunneling

I looked at Freeswan, but it seems to be a server for setting up a VPN,
not a client for connecting to a VPN.

I looked at CIPE but i cannot tell if it's compatible with the Intel VPN.

Post by Neil Horma » Tue, 13 Jan 2004 21:54:14

> I want to use my Linux workstation to work from home.

> My company uses an Intel Shiva VPN.  Their network is a Windos domain.

> Is there a VPN client for Linux?

> I looked at pptp but that seems only for Microsoft tunneling

> I looked at Freeswan, but it seems to be a server for setting up a VPN,
> not a client for connecting to a VPN.

> I looked at CIPE but i cannot tell if it's compatible with the Intel VPN.

Freeswan is both a client and a server, and if you google for freesway
and Shiva I think there are some config notes available.
Neil

--
  Neil Horman
  Red Hat, Inc., http://people.redhat.com/nhorman

Post by 262bffc » Tue, 13 Jan 2004 22:13:13

> Freeswan is both a client and a server, and if you google for freesway
> and Shiva I think there are some config notes available.
> Neil

I don't mean to be dense.  But I downloaded and installed Freeswan
yesterday.  The documentation is /sparse/ to say the least.  I'm willing
to RTFM but in this case there is no Manual to read!

For example, if it is a client -- where is it?  The howto's are all
about setting up a Linux box as a /server/  - but all I want to do is
connect to an existing VPN.

I looked at the config notes for Intel Netstructure on Freeswan.org but
since there is no docs about using Freeswan as a client, I have no idea
who to use that configuration!

Post by Stuart » Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:29:55

> I want to use my Linux workstation to work from home.

> My company uses an Intel Shiva VPN.  Their network is a Windos domain.

> Is there a VPN client for Linux?

> I looked at pptp but that seems only for Microsoft tunneling

> I looked at Freeswan, but it seems to be a server for setting up a VPN,
> not a client for connecting to a VPN.

> I looked at CIPE but i cannot tell if it's compatible with the Intel VPN.

shiva is a proprietary vpn tunnel implementation by intel, afaik there is
no linux client at this time.

Post by Neil Horma » Tue, 13 Jan 2004 23:22:46

>> Freeswan is both a client and a server, and if you google for freesway
>> and Shiva I think there are some config notes available.
>> Neil

> I don't mean to be dense.  But I downloaded and installed Freeswan
> yesterday.  The documentation is /sparse/ to say the least.  I'm willing
> to RTFM but in this case there is no Manual to read!

> For example, if it is a client -- where is it?  The howto's are all
> about setting up a Linux box as a /server/  - but all I want to do is
> connect to an existing VPN.

> I looked at the config notes for Intel Netstructure on Freeswan.org but
> since there is no docs about using Freeswan as a client, I have no idea
> who to use that configuration!

You're thinking about it in the wrong way.  Freeswan doesn't really have
a client and a server binary.  Its more of a peer model.  You configure
connections under freeswan to listen for connections (a server setup) or
you configure it to establish a network connection/interface/tunnel
(client setup).  All of these are defined in the ipsec.conf file (IIRC)
and are associated there with connection/tunnel "names" then you use the
  ipsec utility from freeswan to enable or disable the connections.
Neil

--
  Neil Horman
  Red Hat, Inc., http://people.redhat.com/nhorman
  gpg keyid: 1024D / 0x92A74FA1, http://www.keyserver.net

VPN client: Is there one for Linux ?

Post by Ox » Wed, 14 Jan 2004 06:11:32

I know V-ONE has a client named "SmartPass" - but if it works with
your VPN server I cannot tell...

Download it from: http://www.v-one.com/download.html

// Oxy

> I want to use my Linux workstation to work from home.

> My company uses an Intel Shiva VPN.  Their network is a Windos domain.

> Is there a VPN client for Linux?

> I looked at pptp but that seems only for Microsoft tunneling

> I looked at Freeswan, but it seems to be a server for setting up a VPN,
> not a client for connecting to a VPN.

> I looked at CIPE but i cannot tell if it's compatible with the Intel VPN.

1. Any VPN client for RH linux to connect to office VPN server (Sonicwall)

Guys:

We are using Sonicwall VPN server at office, I have VPN client
installed on Windows PC, no problem to login to office machines, But I
need to access remotely from RH Linux PC, any VPN client available
which can connect to Sonic wall VPN server (I need to install that VPN
client on Linux PC)?. This way I can check-out my code into Linux
machine, which I can compile locally than always telnet/ssh from
windows machine which is very slow. Thanks in advance.

GS

2. error 0x11

3. Linux vpn & cisco vpn client

4. Help Installing Linux...Partitioning

5. LINUX VPN client to Microsoft VPN Server

6. Help! Wired Apache start problem after update

7. Two Network Cards in one Linux server using VPN on one

8. help /etc/fstab !!!!

9. newbie: Open vpn with more than one client

10. Connecting a Nortel VPN client through OpenBSD (2.9) to Nortel VPN Switch

11. VPN client in Solaris connecting to WIN2000 VPN server?

12. VPN Tunnel; PIX -> Cisco VPN Client for Solaris 3.5

13. Am I the first one to try the assembler example from the Sun docs ?