Problems with apache authentication

Post by andre.. » Wed, 11 Aug 1999 04:00:00

Hi all,

I began to have some problems with user authentication since updating to
linux slackware-4.0 (2.2.36) with apache 1.3.6.  All the authentication
worked just fine; now it simply does not request any username/passwd.  I
want to give each individual user authority to control access to his/her
own directories in the public_html area.  Below is  my http.conf:

<Directory />
    Options FollowSymLinks
    AllowOverride None
</Directory>

<Directory "/var/lib/apache/htdocs">

#
# This may also be "None", "All", or any combination of "Indexes",
# "Includes", "FollowSymLinks", "ExecCGI", or "MultiViews".
#
# Note that "MultiViews" must be named *explicitly* --- "Options All"
# doesn't give it to you.
#
    Options Indexes FollowSymLinks

    AllowOverride None

#
    Order allow,deny
    Allow from all
</Directory>

<Directory /*/public_html>
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride All
</Directory>

<Directory /*/public_html/files/lock>
        Options Indexes FollowSymLinks
        AllowOverride All
</Directory>

For example, a given .htaccess file in the lock area of a userxxx
public_html directory states the following:

AuthUserFile /home/userxxx/.htpasswd
AuthGroupFile /dev/null
AuthName Test
AuthType Basic
<Limit GET>
        require user userxxx
</Limit>

The .htpasswd in the userxxx home directory was generated using the
htpasswd program.  any help would greatly appreciated.  Thanks in
advance.

Andre'

PS - Please e-mail your response as well if at all possible

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/

1. Problem with Apache authentication...

Hi there,

I've got something strange happening on my web server, and I can't figure
out why it's doing it.  I have a .htaccess file in a root folder called
/admin which works fine, it prompts for authentication, and everything is
howdy doody.

However, I've set up some sub-folders which also have admin folders.
There's a .htaccess in the root folder that determines the domain, and
redirects the user to the appropriate sub-folder - this also works fine.

The problem occurs when you enter one of these virtual hosts, with a /admin
on it.  It prompts for authentication, but I *don't* have a .htaccess in
that admin folder prompting for authentication.  Any ideas why it seems to
be getting confused like this?  This is how my root .htaccess looks:

RewriteEngine On
Options +FollowSymlinks

RewriteBase /

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} host.server.com$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !host/
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ host/$1

RewriteCond %{HTTP_HOST} anotherhost.server.com$
RewriteCond %{REQUEST_URI} !anotherhost/
RewriteRule ^(.*)$ anotherhost/$1

P.S.  I have to do it all with .htaccess files, because it's hosted on a
server which allows you to do a lot, but unfortunately *not* access the
Apache config files.

Thanks,

Colin.

2. more flexible ping

3. Apache and Trustwise authentication problem

4. Help BUSLOGIC 747S

5. Apache - tricky scriptalias + pathinfo + authentication problem

6. Solaris 7 x86 and diamond viper 550

7. Apache Authentication problem

8. Minicom

9. apache 1.2.5 proxy authentication problem

10. Problem: user authentication in Apache II

11. URGENT: Apache server - Username/password authentication problem

12. Apache user authentication problem

13. Apache 1.3, dbm authentication problems