ftp setup (basic)

Post by Mazu » Fri, 07 Jul 2000 04:00:00

I feel like a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest...

I am trying to simply set up ftp so I can upload files to my server
remotely.  Where does the /home/ftp directory come from?  In any
documentation I look at it says how to edit things in that
directory.....and that RedHat installs the ftp server upon installing
the OS itself.  But I can't find docs that explain what program installs
the /home/ftp directory to begin with?!

I installed the NetKit-B and anonftp RPM's as instructed.  I went out
and downloaded wu-ftpd and ran install, but it errored saying I don't
have ftpd.  Why don't I?  Am I supposed to create the ftpd myself?  The
same goes for the ftpaccess file...I don't have one.  Is one of the
rpm's or wu-ftp supposed to create those files?

I am really confused.  What is "Step 1"?

If I try to ftp to the server right now with
ftp> open 192.168.1.4
I get:
Connected to 192.168.1.4.
421 Service not available, remote server has closed connection

Can anyone please help?
Rob

ftp setup (basic)

Post by Iain Gra » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> I feel like a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest...

> I am trying to simply set up ftp so I can upload files to my server
> remotely.  Where does the /home/ftp directory come from?  In any
> documentation I look at it says how to edit things in that
> directory.....and that RedHat installs the ftp server upon installing
> the OS itself.  But I can't find docs that explain what program installs
> the /home/ftp directory to begin with?!

OK

install the rpm wu-ftpd-2.6.0-3

That will give you the ftpd and all the files /etc/ftp* (eg ftpaccess)
Unless you really need to I wouldn't run anonymous ftp so you don't need
~ftp.
Make sure that the ftpd line is uncommented in /etc/inetd.conf - if it
isn't then uncomment it and do a killall -HUP inetd
Now you should be able to ftp to your machine and use a normal user.
If you want anonymous ftp then make damn sure you read all the stuff on
www.wu-ftp.org page.

Iain

ftp setup (basic)

Post by bluste » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

Iain gives excellent advice, follow it!
but in addition FYI:

> > I feel like a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest...

> > I am trying to simply set up ftp so I can upload files to my server
> > remotely.  Where does the /home/ftp directory come from?

The /home/ftp directory is ONLY for ANONYMOUS ftp
(where you let ANYONE ftp into your box) and should only
be set up if needed, e.g. to give the world access to a public file archive.

Normally you want to login as a regular user on your box, which
opens the ftp session in the home dir of that user.  If you NEED
anonymous ftp then as Iain said, please read all the stuff on
 www.wu-ftp.org page.
bluster

Quote:> OK

> install the rpm wu-ftpd-2.6.0-3

> That will give you the ftpd and all the files /etc/ftp* (eg ftpaccess)
> Unless you really need to I wouldn't run anonymous ftp so you don't need
> ~ftp.
> Make sure that the ftpd line is uncommented in /etc/inetd.conf - if it
> isn't then uncomment it and do a killall -HUP inetd
> Now you should be able to ftp to your machine and use a normal user.
> If you want anonymous ftp then make damn sure you read all the stuff on
> www.wu-ftp.org page.

> Iain

ftp setup (basic)

Post by dan » Sat, 08 Jul 2000 04:00:00

ALthough Ian's technical information is correct, I'd try to steer clear of
Wu-ftpd for a while.  They haven't been having the best of luck lately, so
wait until stuff cools down.  I suggest ProFTPD.

dt

> > I feel like a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest...

> > I am trying to simply set up ftp so I can upload files to my server
> > remotely.  Where does the /home/ftp directory come from?  In any
> > documentation I look at it says how to edit things in that
> > directory.....and that RedHat installs the ftp server upon installing
> > the OS itself.  But I can't find docs that explain what program installs
> > the /home/ftp directory to begin with?!

> OK

> install the rpm wu-ftpd-2.6.0-3

> That will give you the ftpd and all the files /etc/ftp* (eg ftpaccess)
> Unless you really need to I wouldn't run anonymous ftp so you don't need
> ~ftp.
> Make sure that the ftpd line is uncommented in /etc/inetd.conf - if it
> isn't then uncomment it and do a killall -HUP inetd
> Now you should be able to ftp to your machine and use a normal user.
> If you want anonymous ftp then make damn sure you read all the stuff on
> www.wu-ftp.org page.

> Iain

ftp setup (basic)

Post by Mazu » Sun, 09 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > I feel like a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest...

> > I am trying to simply set up ftp so I can upload files to my server
> > remotely.  Where does the /home/ftp directory come from?  In any
> > documentation I look at it says how to edit things in that
> > directory.....and that RedHat installs the ftp server upon installing
> > the OS itself.  But I can't find docs that explain what program installs
> > the /home/ftp directory to begin with?!

> OK

> install the rpm wu-ftpd-2.6.0-3

> That will give you the ftpd and all the files /etc/ftp* (eg ftpaccess)
> Unless you really need to I wouldn't run anonymous ftp so you don't need
> ~ftp.
> Make sure that the ftpd line is uncommented in /etc/inetd.conf - if it
> isn't then uncomment it and do a killall -HUP inetd
> Now you should be able to ftp to your machine and use a normal user.
> If you want anonymous ftp then make damn sure you read all the stuff on
> www.wu-ftp.org page.

> Iain

Cool.  Thanks for the info, particularly regarding the /home/ftp
directory.  Strangely, I downloaded a different version of wu and it
installed without error?!

I can now connect to the ftp server (either remotely or locally), but
still can't log in (locally nor remotely) as a real user.  The result
looks like this:
--------------------------------
$ftp 192.168.1.4
Connected to 192.168.1.4
220 mazur FTP server (Version wu-2.6.1(1)...)ready.
Name (192.168.1.4:mazur):myusername
331 Password required for myusername.
Password:
530 Login incorrect.
Login failed.
ftp>
---------------------------------

I am using the same username and password I use to log into the
computer....into Linux itself.  I understand /etc/ftpaccess shouldn't
have anything to do with this.  FYI, I CAN telnet both locally and
remotely.

I can't think of anything more to check than the FTP* files.  Any
thoughts?

Rob
(RH6.1, wu-2.6.1, also running apache,tomcat,mysql)

ftp setup (basic)

Post by Iain Gra » Tue, 11 Jul 2000 04:00:00

> > > I feel like a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest...

> > > I am trying to simply set up ftp so I can upload files to my server
> > > remotely.  Where does the /home/ftp directory come from?  In any
> > > documentation I look at it says how to edit things in that
> > > directory.....and that RedHat installs the ftp server upon installing
> > > the OS itself.  But I can't find docs that explain what program installs
> > > the /home/ftp directory to begin with?!

> > OK

> > install the rpm wu-ftpd-2.6.0-3

> > That will give you the ftpd and all the files /etc/ftp* (eg ftpaccess)
> > Unless you really need to I wouldn't run anonymous ftp so you don't need
> > ~ftp.
> > Make sure that the ftpd line is uncommented in /etc/inetd.conf - if it
> > isn't then uncomment it and do a killall -HUP inetd
> > Now you should be able to ftp to your machine and use a normal user.
> > If you want anonymous ftp then make damn sure you read all the stuff on
> > www.wu-ftp.org page.

> > Iain
> Cool.  Thanks for the info, particularly regarding the /home/ftp
> directory.  Strangely, I downloaded a different version of wu and it
> installed without error?!

> I can now connect to the ftp server (either remotely or locally), but
> still can't log in (locally nor remotely) as a real user.  The result
> looks like this:
> --------------------------------
> $ftp 192.168.1.4
> Connected to 192.168.1.4
> 220 mazur FTP server (Version wu-2.6.1(1)...)ready.
> Name (192.168.1.4:mazur):myusername
> 331 Password required for myusername.
> Password:
> 530 Login incorrect.
> Login failed.
> ftp>
> ---------------------------------

> I am using the same username and password I use to log into the
> computer....into Linux itself.  I understand /etc/ftpaccess shouldn't
> have anything to do with this.  FYI, I CAN telnet both locally and
> remotely.

> I can't think of anything more to check than the FTP* files.  Any
> thoughts?

Quite a common gotcha is the shell variable.

So you have a user with login myusername in the password file.

This user MUST have a valid shell. If you just added a standard user
from useradd then that will be /bin/bash which is OK so ignore my
ramblings.

If you have some other shell set in the passwd file then you may have to
put it into /etc/shells for ftp to allow it (there is a few ftpd will
allow by defaul, but can't rememberat the mo).
The other thing is your password. This cannot be blank.

If you can telnet to the machine with that username and passwd pair then
check that you HAVE NOT put yourself into /etc/ftpusers. This file denys
ftp access to any in it.

Also what the others have said about wu-ftp having problems is very
true. You may well want to try another ftpd distibution.

Iain

Quote:

> Rob
> (RH6.1, wu-2.6.1, also running apache,tomcat,mysql)

1. VERY slow FTP uploads, downloads are fine --ppp or ftp setup problem?

Hello,

Here is the problem: I am using ppp to connect to Internet. I've recently
discovered that when I try to upload large files ( 0.1-2MB,  mostly tar.gz
archives) via ftp it takes really long time. Trying the upload with the
hash marks on shows that uproximmately 50-100 K gets uploaded ( this is
how many
########################## appear) and then the transfer seems to stall.
Short files (1-50K) eventually get uploaded( albeit very slowly).  The
speed of FTP downloads is consistent with what I expect (2.8-3K/sec on a
28.8 modem) during the same connection, and this happens no matter what
server I try to upload a file to.

Is this likely to be an FTp or ppp problem? FTPing from WIN95 using the
same ISP  works fine both ways.

What debugging strategy would you suggest? Also-- this is something I
couldn't find from the FAQ/HOWTO/locate ppp|grep doc:
How do I find out what the negotiated connection speed has been set? (When
dialing from win, I usually get 24000 baud)

TIA for any info or suggestions. I am using the RedHat 4.1 distribution,
with no changes ( to the best of my knowledge) to relevant " factory
settings".

Best Wishes,
Andrei

2. Dzier?awione ??cze

3. Very basic linux setup questions

4. Linux Newbie needing help in configuring netscape navigator

5. Basic ethernet setup

6. HELP: "hostname" returns FQDN on one node, not another?

7. Very basic FTP question

8. Linux-MIPS problem caused by forcing interrupt vector location to 0x91xx0200 instead of 0x80000200

9. Basic Network setup on Solaris 8. PLEASE HELP

10. Basic and Basic->C converter wanted

11. basic setup question

12. Questions with the Linux setup: CD-ROM, 2 hard drives (basic stuff)

13. Basic on Linux FTP