Dialin-Server in WIN-Network: No browse-list on client

Dialin-Server in WIN-Network: No browse-list on client

Post by Martin Pau » Sun, 04 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Hi!
I have the following problem:
I've configured a linux server in my network
as dialin-server with pppd.
Now I can connect from an NT-client via modem
to the whole network (ping works; share-connect
with explitly written destination - net use z: \\host\share -
also works).
I've also set up a DNS-server on the linux-server that
I can use from the NT-client via modem.

But now my problem:
I can't see the WINDOWS-hosts on the network in
the Network-Neighborhood of the NT-client although
I can connect to them.
Please help - what's wrong?

Thanks in advance
M.Pauly

Dialin-Server in WIN-Network: No browse-list on client

Post by Curt » Sun, 04 Apr 1999 04:00:00

I'm not positive on this, but the hostsnames show up in network neighborhood
via netbeui.  Netbeui is not routable. (hail mircrosoft)

You are making your connections to the systems via the netbios over TCP/IP,
which is routable.

>Hi!
>I have the following problem:
>I've configured a linux server in my network
>as dialin-server with pppd.
>Now I can connect from an NT-client via modem
>to the whole network (ping works; share-connect
>with explitly written destination - net use z: \\host\share -
>also works).
>I've also set up a DNS-server on the linux-server that
>I can use from the NT-client via modem.

>But now my problem:
>I can't see the WINDOWS-hosts on the network in
>the Network-Neighborhood of the NT-client although
>I can connect to them.
>Please help - what's wrong?

>Thanks in advance
>M.Pauly

Dialin-Server in WIN-Network: No browse-list on client

Post by Sven Hol » Mon, 05 Apr 1999 05:00:00

You should config SAMBA with an WINS-Server, because smb would not be
routed over different networks.

I had this probs with 3 Ethercards and differnet networks on it, after i
configured WINS all probs was blown away ;-)

c ya
 xylus

Dialin-Server in WIN-Network: No browse-list on client

Post by Martin Pau » Tue, 06 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Well - I use the Linux-Server as WINS-server with SAMBA,
but maybe I have not quite understood the WINS-concept:

Please tell me - where does WINS get its data for host-resolution?
Netbios? /etc/hosts? DNS?

I have switched on WINS in /etc/smb.conf, but I haven't configured
any hostnames (okay - excluding the DNS-files). Is there something
to be done for WINS?

Bye
M.Pauly

>You should config SAMBA with an WINS-Server,
> because smb would not be
> routed over different networks.

>I had this probs with 3 Ethercards and differnet networks on it, after i
>configured WINS all probs was blown away ;-)

Dialin-Server in WIN-Network: No browse-list on client

Post by Edward Le » Tue, 06 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Subnet broadcast, which does not go through standard router.
That's why WINS is a lousy WAN server.
Disclaimer:
Reluctant user of R^ and M$ (not TM of ...)
I am not speaking on behalf of my employer

> Well - I use the Linux-Server as WINS-server with SAMBA,
> but maybe I have not quite understood the WINS-concept:

> Please tell me - where does WINS get its data for host-resolution?
> Netbios? /etc/hosts? DNS?

> I have switched on WINS in /etc/smb.conf, but I haven't configured
> any hostnames (okay - excluding the DNS-files). Is there something
> to be done for WINS?

> Bye
> M.Pauly

> >You should config SAMBA with an WINS-Server,
> > because smb would not be
> > routed over different networks.

> >I had this probs with 3 Ethercards and differnet networks on it, after i
> >configured WINS all probs was blown away ;-)

Dialin-Server in WIN-Network: No browse-list on client

Post by Ron Watkin » Tue, 06 Apr 1999 04:00:00

You need WINS.

Your other machines are probably all on the same wire, and they find each
other through broadcasts.  Broadcasts aren't carried over a PPP link.  You
need a WINS server if you want to do browsing across multiple subnets.  (there
are also solutions using LMHOSTS files but I found them very awkward and
unreliable.)

Ideally, add WINS services to a lightly-loaded machine or two, and reconfigure
your other machines to use those machines as their primary and secondary WINS
servers.  If you also configure your remote dialins to do the same thing, your
browsing will work again.   If you do implement two WINS servers, be sure to
set them to sync with each other.

Samba can do both these things for you, but I believe it's not able to
properly replicate WINS information to other servers.  So if you do a Samba
WINS server, you can only have the one -- it won't (yet) talk to Microsoft
WINS servers, or even other Samba WINS servers.

<<RON>>

Dialin-Server in WIN-Network: No browse-list on client

Post by Ron Watkin » Tue, 06 Apr 1999 04:00:00

Quote:> Please tell me - where does WINS get its data for host-resolution?
> Netbios? /etc/hosts? DNS?

        You have to configure all the other machines on your network to talk to the
WINS server.  They announce themselves via a datagram, once they know that
they should.  Ideally, you'll have DHCP on all your machines and can just
change this setting at the DHCP server -- it will then trickle out to your
clients as they renew their leases.  If you shorten your lease time to 1 hour
or so, wait until all the leases are on the 1-hour limit, and then make your
changes, it will percolate out a lot faster.

        When your remote box announces itself to the WINS server, it will ask, "who
is the master browser?"  If that browser has registered with WINS (as it
should have), WINS will tell the remote machine who it needs to contact to get
the browse list.

        Personally, I think this is a rather dumb design -- WINS and browsing should
be the *same service*.  But it isn't.

Quote:> I have switched on WINS in /etc/smb.conf, but I haven't configured
> any hostnames (okay - excluding the DNS-files). Is there something
> to be done for WINS?

        Configure every machine on your network to talk to it, and things should
start to work.  Remember that when you are using Samba as a WINS server, you
can't have a backup -- so if it goes down, your remote browsing will fail.

<<RON>>

1. NT to win-network over linux-dialin

Hello to everyone!

I have a problem. Hope someone can help me!

- want to connect from home-PC with NT4 (SP3) to company-network
  (NT-Registry-Editor: EnablePlainTextPassword is set)
- want to connect to a shared drive on a NT-machine with
windows-explorer
- dial-in server is a linux-machine with samba installed and (hope so)
working fine

==> i can't connect to the shared drive

-- connecting from win95 is working properly
-- connecting from NT: ping to NT-machine with shared drive is OK

CAN ANYONE HELP ME PLEASE!?!

Regards
Klaus

--

# # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # # #
#

#                http://www.argovision.de
#
#                Dipl.-Inf. (FH)
#                  Netzwerkadministration, Softwareerstellung,
#                  Anwenderbetreuung, Konzepterstellung
#

2. a VERY stupid question!!

3. Can't browse remote Win clients using IP-Masq

4. logrotate: script daily instead of weekly

5. Hide Server from Browse Lists?

6. Shareware x-window emulator

7. 2nd Samba server doesn't show entire browse list

8. how to check a list of ip's for connection

9. PPTPD: Windows Clients unable to browse Network Neighborhood

10. Strange: Telnet client won't quit in a client-server application

11. Windows WINS client does not pick up Samba WINS Server information.

12. ipfwadm, Win NT logons and Windows Network Browsing problems

13. Browsing from windows clients on RedHat 6.2 Server