1. To vlan or not to vlan, that's the question
Hello everyone, 1st. post on this group here! (hope it's the right place)
Actually the network I administer, consists of actually 3 networks,
INTERNAL, DMZ, and EXTERNAL, that may be a familiar scenario for most of
you, simple and effective. The three networks, are interconnected with a
firewall (on a linux box, using netfilter). I was asked to literally
divide the network in two (phisically and/or logically), intending to
improve security & performance.
That's why we considered the option of a switch with VLAN support (but
we haven't done it in a serious way yet). Notice that we're talking
about a network with <100 hosts, counting servers and workstations.
The 1st. question is:
1) Why would I spend $$ on a switch that supports VLAN, among other
features(*), if (IMHO) I can implement the same thing with 2 common
switches (less money), and a firewall interconnecting them (managing
security & routing) ?
beside the -probable- answer is 'you just don't need vlan!!! Don't burn
money!', please let me write some additional questions:
2) in what environment is really worthy implement vlan?
Google took me here:
"Why implement Vlan?" but, It'd be nice to see comments about some
3) What can I do with a vlan switch than I CANNOT DO with 2 switches?
4) The firewall/router interconnecting both networks will have any
special issues to consider if the interconnected networks are a vlan
network, or are independient?
(*) there may be other features, that I don't know, and even I may not
need, but this can be gently answered in question 2 ;)
pd: sorry for my eventual lack of knowledge, in that case, here go my
apologies in advance, and I'd be glad to be pointed to some "FMs"...so I
can RTFM :P
Jose R. "Xous" Negreira
[ *xous*at*xouslab_dot_com* ]
XousLAB - http://www.xouslab.com
iptableslinux - http://www.iptableslinux.com
2. Unix hardware compatibility
3. Looking for VMS Patch and VMS ARC
4. question on root user
5. Veritas VM vs Sun VM
6. how do you read tex files?
7. Anybody ever heard of qemu?
8. Web site "hit" ?
9. QEMU 0.4 release
10. VM / OOM troubles in 2.4.20-ck4 (-aa VM)
11. LINUX VM (2.4.14) vs FreeBSD VM in low memory machines
12. How to connect the real wireless to emulated (QEMU or UML) host
13. vm rewrite ready [Re: broken VM in 2.4.10-pre9]