How to configure a gate-way

Post by Jean-Paul PRUNIAU » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 06:22:25

Hello

I have just started a mandrake 9.0 linux and basic networking is fine.

I have 2 ethernet cards:
- eth0 is for my LAN (198.162.0.1) -- I can navigate on the LAN
- eth1 is ADSL for internet (10.0.0.10) using pptp protocol -- I can
navigate on internet

How can I configure the sytem so my other LAN computers (e.g. a Win 2000
laptop: 198.162.0.66) can reach internet via my linux computer

Thank you
JPP

--
Jean-Paul Pruniaux, Ingnieur conseil en informatique

80, rue PV Couturier 93160 Noisy Le Grand
Tl +33 1 45 92 20 50, GSM 06 62 08 62 00

How to configure a gate-way

Post by Tauno Voipi » Sun, 16 Mar 2003 23:27:18

Quote:> Hello

> I have just started a mandrake 9.0 linux and basic networking is fine.

> I have 2 ethernet cards:
> - eth0 is for my LAN (198.162.0.1) -- I can navigate on the LAN
> - eth1 is ADSL for internet (10.0.0.10) using pptp protocol -- I can
> navigate on internet

> How can I configure the sytem so my other LAN computers (e.g. a Win 2000
> laptop: 198.162.0.66) can reach internet via my linux computer

Read the IP-Masquerade-HOWTO (<http://www.tldp.org/>).

HTH

Tauno Voipio

How to configure a gate-way

Post by Jean-Paul PRUNIAU » Mon, 17 Mar 2003 20:24:46

Tku,

I'll check the file soon

JPP

> Read the IP-Masquerade-HOWTO (<http://www.tldp.org/>).

> HTH

> Tauno Voipio

1. Configuring gated on unix with ospf or rip protocols?

I have been given the task of researching and eventually configuring my
companies unix servers for dynamic routing.

Preliminary research seems to suggest that our needs would best served
by using gated version 3 with either the rip-2 or ospf protocols.

None of our servers are configured as gateways, routing is being
provided by wellfleet hardware.

Our network consists of 2 lans connected to the company backbone.

I understand that configuring rip-2 would be easier and it would need to
be used in the passive or quiet mode, only receiving routing packets
from the network router but not broadcasting it's routing table.

I have also read that ospf is much harder to configure and does not have
a quiet mode but is a better protocol.

I would greatly appreciate any help/advice anyone could give me on
configuring gated or making my mind up which protocol is preferable.

The platforms I will be using initially are HP-UX V10, AIX V4 and
solaris 2.5

              Thanks.
--
Julian Rogan

2. Starting Solaris in 32-Bit Mode

3. Configuring gated

4. Looking for a good monitoring program

5. HELP: Configuring gated

6. How to install Red Hat mount point

7. how to configure gated multicast forwarding on solaris

8. Filesystem Questions

9. configuring OSPF for gated

10. Configure OSPF on gated 3.0.3 (Linux)?

11. Forget Gates (was Gates & Hitler)

12. OSPF problems, gated+gated+Cisco

13. Gated: Need help with gated.conf