pop3 user config on Redhat

Post by Robert Clous » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

I have sendmail running and I can see ipop3d running when I try to
access my mailbox on the host.  But, my pop3 client keeps saying there
is an error logging in, is there any special config or user setup
required for that account to use the pop3?

Also, email sent to my local box always goes into the queue and doesn't
get sent when I use the name of that box.  I am not hooked to a
nameserver, but does this matter?

I have tried to change the rules to filter out my hosts name and then
have sendmail send it directly to the user on the unix machine, and
under test the address converts fine, but under realworld tests, it
still plops them into the queue for delivery outside the machine.

Any help?

pop3 user config on Redhat

Post by GenaB » Fri, 20 Nov 1998 04:00:00

Greetings!

Quote:>my pop3 client keeps saying there
>is an error logging in, is there any special config or user setup
>required for that account to use the pop3?

Ensure that your clients have a valid user ID and password in the /etc/passwd
file.  Also, ensure that these users have a home directory on the server
because the IMAP/POP3 will create a mail record in their home directory.

Quote:>Also, email sent to my local box always goes into the queue and doesn't
>get sent when I use the name of that box.  I am not hooked to a
>nameserver, but does this matter?

You will need DNS resolution if the boxes you're talking about aren't in the
same sub-net.

Quote:>I have tried to change the rules to filter out my hosts name and then
>have sendmail send it directly to the user on the unix machine, and
>under test the address converts fine, but under realworld tests, it
>still plops them into the queue for delivery outside the machine.

Please provide more info about your set up because "real world" routing may be
a problem.

I hope this helps!

G.

1. PAM/RedHat: pop3 /etc/pam.d config

Hello, folks.

I have one particular RedHat 4.1 system that I upgrade parts of, on
occasion. My most recent change to this system was the installation of the
PAM 0.57 and pwdb RPMs. Unfortunately, the pop3 and imap /etc/pam.d
configuration files were not installed with them.

Question 1:
Could someone please point me in the direction of an /etc/pam.d/pop3 config
file, or email me theirs? I made my own, but it does not work. I RTFM
for about 10 minutes, across various and sundry files, and I really didn't
catch on how to evaluate a specific service for what PAM modules it needs,
and what parameters should be passed to them.

Question 2:
Well then, how *does* one evaluate a service (old or new) for what PAM
modules it needs?

Thanks for your help. Please email replies to question 1.

--

Jordan Ritter
Systems Admin, Software Developer     Assistant Systems Administrator

                                *   *   *

2. adding program output to mail

3. POP3,RedHat - Help with config please

4. Running the CD-RW as non-root

5. RH 8.0 redhat-config-users errors - bad passwd and shadow files ??

6. remote control ultra10

7. redhat-config-users error trace ??

8. rmap 15i

9. redhat-config-users

10. Samba config on Redhat 7.1 Server config issues?

11. pop3 config question

12. RH 7.2 and pop3 - newbie config

13. How to config my solaris box into an internet POP3 email server?