Help : can't get network services to work !

Post by Gabriel.Krabb » Wed, 21 Feb 1996 04:00:00

>   So, I wonder : how can I check what's wrong ? I've looked at my
> /etc/inetd.conf, /etc/services and even /etc/hosts* : they just look like
> theirs ! What can I do ?

Check out the /etc/host.conf. The line "order " should read "hosts,
bind" if all 'puters are in your /etc/hosts, otherwise "bind, hosts" is
usually faster. Whatever, if "bind" appears, check your /etc/resolv.conf
for the entry "nameserver". The one shown MUST be the IP-adress alone, no
names here. That will work on the remote machines (although, actually,
it's a bug, not a feature) if the nameserver is listed in /etc/hosts and
"order" is set to "hosts, bind", but usually not locally.

The problem, as I see it, is that your 'puter is being sensible and
double-checks the identity of the remotes before allowing a telnet or
anything similar and doesn't find the alleged and the provided names to
be the same (or doesn't find one of them at all).

Darkstar

-- Linux forever!!

1. After linux's network works, win XP's network cannot work ?

I installed Redhat linux 9.0 in one of my disk partition .
at first, linux cannot recognize broadcom 440x's ethernet card.
Then I download driver through broadcom.com and successfully installed
the ethernet driver.
Now I can surf the net in linux.
But when I return to win XP , it displays "a network cable is
unplugged", but the device is working properly. (the cable is indeed
plugged)
So I failed to link to Internet in XP,but can go online in linux.

Any great man know how this happened?
How to solve this problem?
 Thanks!

2. RedHat client sends DHCPDISCOVER, server hears and sends DHCPOFFER that doesn't reach client

3. HELP getting TERM + name services to work

4. PPP: FTP into machine Slow! (40% of outbound speed)

5. Help getting 'mirror' to work

6. Intel Aboveboard Question

7. PROftp I keep getting 'service' unavailble.

8. HACMP docs

9. Linux's '/sbin/service network restart' equivalent in FreeBSD ?

10. It's not bad canned meat...

11. Help - problem getting network card working

12. It's not bad canned meat...

13. Problem getting USB Networking working. PLEASE HELP!