Procmail: make it not enforce strict perms?

Procmail: make it not enforce strict perms?

Post by Dan Smit » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 00:32:20

I need my mail spool files to have 660 permissions, but whenever
procmail delievers mail, it resets them to 600.  How can I tell
procmail to *not* do this?  Is there some flag I can set on the
file(s) that make it so that procmail cannot change the perms?

Thanks!

--Dan

Post by Svend Garnae » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 01:55:22

> I need my mail spool files to have 660 permissions, but whenever
> procmail delievers mail, it resets them to 600.  How can I tell
> procmail to *not* do this?  Is there some flag I can set on the
> file(s) that make it so that procmail cannot change the perms?

In /etc/procmailrc you can specify the UMASK procmail should use.

On my system, the basic permissions of the mail spool files are
controlled by the MTA, however. In my case Exim. Could be sendmail
or whatever for you. For Exim, the place to manipulate is evident.
For sendmail, well, I wouldn't know.

HTH
--
Svend

Procmail: make it not enforce strict perms?

Post by Dan Smit » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 04:07:23

Well, I'm pretty sure it's procmail since I see in my logs something
like:

    procmail[pid]: Enforcing stricter permissions on /var/spool/mail/foo

--Dan

> > I need my mail spool files to have 660 permissions, but whenever
> > procmail delievers mail, it resets them to 600.  How can I tell
> > procmail to *not* do this?  Is there some flag I can set on the
> > file(s) that make it so that procmail cannot change the perms?

> In /etc/procmailrc you can specify the UMASK procmail should use.

> On my system, the basic permissions of the mail spool files are
> controlled by the MTA, however. In my case Exim. Could be sendmail
> or whatever for you. For Exim, the place to manipulate is evident.
> For sendmail, well, I wouldn't know.

> HTH
> --
> Svend

Procmail: make it not enforce strict perms?

Post by Svend Garnae » Fri, 01 Mar 2002 16:11:31

The procmail manpage suggests doing chmod u+x on
the mailboxes to prevent the program from changing
permissions.

HTH
--
Svend

1. Stop procmail enforcing rights

Hi!

Does anybody know how to prevent procmail from enforcing stricter
access permissions on the system mailbox file it delivered a mail to?
Each time one of our linux pcs gets a mail, procmail removes write permission
for group mail which then breaks delivery on our Indy.
All I need to know is how to stop procmail from changing the access permissions.
Any help would very much be appreciated. :-)

Regards,
Armin.
Armin Vogt
System Administration
Physical Chemistry at University of Paderborn, Germany

2. TERM: does it work under ELF?

3. enforce ftp, deny ssh, enforce ssh, deny ftp

4. ftpd

5. Enforcing a settlement, when/if made:

6. How to set up an ethernet card? (help!!)

7. Procmail made easier?

8. Smoke 'Em Out, Experts! NOW Forgery Flood Continues on *8* November (was ICEKNIFE Belly-flops into Net Sewer with his Tail A'Blazin'

9. Making a new kernel - CVSuped, not made world yet.

10. Solaris 2.5.1 does not enforce quotas

11. It`s IMPORTANT!!!

12. Please Help....it′s a very small thing!!!!.PLEASE

13. Help me !!!!!! I have no Idea it′s crucial