IP over IP to make static IP?

Post by Jem Berke » Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:11:07

Hmmm, I just had a weird idea. Lots of us run our nifty little servers out
of our ba*ts, with the only problem being a dynamic IP address from our
ISP. My ISP's terms of service even allow me to run private servers.

Now what if some third party comes along, and has maybe a class C of IP
addresses at its disposable. And provides, for a subscription fee, IP over
IP tunneling where the destination is the current dynamic IP of a customer
as learned through HTTP callback or something.

So this third party could provide anyone with a dynamic IP a real static IP
address. The third party's cost would be: IP addresses (of course), and
bandwidth.

Is such a thing feasible? Does it already exist?

--
Jem Berkes
http://www.veryComputer.com/

IP over IP to make static IP?

Post by Cameron Ker » Fri, 06 Feb 2004 13:01:16

> Hmmm, I just had a weird idea. Lots of us run our nifty little servers out
> of our ba*ts, with the only problem being a dynamic IP address from our
> ISP. My ISP's terms of service even allow me to run private servers.

> Now what if some third party comes along, and has maybe a class C of IP
> addresses at its disposable. And provides, for a subscription fee, IP over
> IP tunneling where the destination is the current dynamic IP of a customer
> as learned through HTTP callback or something.

> So this third party could provide anyone with a dynamic IP a real static IP
> address. The third party's cost would be: IP addresses (of course), and
> bandwidth.

> Is such a thing feasible? Does it already exist?

What you describe is called IP mobility, and noone really uses it at all
for IPv4.

One solution would be tunneling. It's not a great thing, but it
works. The third party would also get twice the traffic though because
the traffic would have to go to the third party, and out again through
the tunnel.

You may prefer to use something like www.dyndns.org, or something
similar. It's not perfect, but acceptable for occasional use.

--
Cameron Kerr

Empowered by Perl!

IP over IP to make static IP?

Post by Dan » Fri, 06 Feb 2004 16:24:50

On 5 Feb 2004 17:01:16 +1300, Cameron Kerr

>You may prefer to use something like www.dyndns.org, or something
>similar. It's not perfect, but acceptable for occasional use.

Dynamic ip works fine, better than just acceptable for occasional use.

You can also check out www.zoneedit.com.

Dan

IP over IP to make static IP?

Post by Kurt » Fri, 06 Feb 2004 18:29:31

Quote:> Hmmm, I just had a weird idea. Lots of us run our nifty little servers out
> of our ba*ts, with the only problem being a dynamic IP address from
our
> ISP. My ISP's terms of service even allow me to run private servers.

> Now what if some third party comes along, and has maybe a class C of IP
> addresses at its disposable. And provides, for a subscription fee, IP over
> IP tunneling where the destination is the current dynamic IP of a customer
> as learned through HTTP callback or something.

> So this third party could provide anyone with a dynamic IP a real static
IP
> address. The third party's cost would be: IP addresses (of course), and
> bandwidth.

> Is such a thing feasible? Does it already exist?

VPN would do that.

The VPN traffic doesnt have to be limitted to internal traffic.

However VPN is  just an encrypted tunnel.
A normal tunnel can be used for interent traffic.

Quote:

> --
> Jem Berkes
> http://www.veryComputer.com/

IP over IP to make static IP?

Post by Johan Lindquis » Fri, 06 Feb 2004 18:52:49

So anyway, it was like, 05:11 CET Feb 05 2004, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
Jem Berkes was all like, "Dude,

[..]

Quote:> So this third party could provide anyone with a dynamic IP a real
> static IP address. The third party's cost would be: IP addresses (of
> course), and bandwidth.

> Is such a thing feasible? Does it already exist?

Seems to me using one of the (free, mostly) dynamic dns services would
be a heck of a lot simpler.

--
Time flies like an arrow, fruit flies like a banana.      Perth ---> *
 10:51:56 up 11 days, 18:28,  3 users,  load average: 2.13, 2.19, 2.55

IP over IP to make static IP?

Post by Jem Berke » Sat, 07 Feb 2004 09:03:50

Quote:> Dynamic ip works fine, better than just acceptable for occasional use.

> You can also check out www.zoneedit.com.

Heh, I know about DNS ;) You're talking to a guy who has run a relatively
large web site off a dynamic IP for years.

--
Jem Berkes
http://www.sysdesign.ca/

IP over IP to make static IP?

Post by buckwhe » Sun, 08 Feb 2004 10:36:25

> So anyway, it was like, 05:11 CET Feb 05 2004, you know? Oh, and, yeah,
> Jem Berkes was all like, "Dude,

> [..]

> > So this third party could provide anyone with a dynamic IP a real
> > static IP address. The third party's cost would be: IP addresses (of
> > course), and bandwidth.

> > Is such a thing feasible? Does it already exist?

> Seems to me using one of the (free, mostly) dynamic dns services would
> be a heck of a lot simpler.

Yea, this is really a DNS/naming thing.  Pointer to a pointer.
using TZO for a few years with little problem.  They've got deamons
for everything from Win to BSD.

Although you're not using 3rd party subnets like you mentioned, you're
sort of eliminating an extra step and going direct to the ISP at hand.
 I think.

Buck

1. DHCP ip address vs static ip

I am trying to connect from work to home with ssh,but at home i have
network configured to obtain ip with DHCP,so ssh hangs up when i connect
to my static ip ... When trying to connect to dynamic assigned ip
everything works fine.
The problem is when i'm trying configure network to work with static ip,
i have something like
"foo.com-bad name" after telnet or ssh to it and when trying to add
default gateway-"SIOCADDRT:network is unreachable"...
Any help very much appreciated.

2. Help with FD_ISSET Please

3. IP Masquerading, NO Static IP, and Windows 95 ???

4. ftp prob

5. Static IP address from Dynamic IP

6. Watching serial line users?

7. Force Dyn IP to Static IP

8. Sendmail upgrade debacle!!

9. ISP assigns a static ip to the router, ip of eth0 ?

10. NAT and STatic IP addressing with ip

11. Turning a dynaimic IP address into a virtually static IP

12. RH 7.0 Static IP gets dropped and Dynamic IP is generated

13. newbie: static ip laptop behind dynamic ip ppp link