serving www from win95box on LAN with linux gateway?

serving www from win95box on LAN with linux gateway?

Post by slync » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

Hi all you helpful folks-

I have a linuxbox with a static connection to the Internet, and a win95
box on my LAN using the linuxbox as a gateway.

I would like to run Apache on my win95 box to serve a filemaker pro
database to the world, and am wondering if there is a way to do that
with my present configuration? (I read something about port forwarding,
but was unclear if that's a solution).

If not, what's the best change to my set up (keeping my Linuxbox as the
gateway) to make my win95 box into a webserver?

thank you...

Stefan *

serving www from win95box on LAN with linux gateway?

Post by Andrey Smirno » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

Hello!

Port forwarding is the solution!

Good luck!

> Hi all you helpful folks-

> I have a linuxbox with a static connection to the Internet, and a win95
> box on my LAN using the linuxbox as a gateway.

> I would like to run Apache on my win95 box to serve a filemaker pro
> database to the world, and am wondering if there is a way to do that
> with my present configuration? (I read something about port forwarding,
> but was unclear if that's a solution).

> If not, what's the best change to my set up (keeping my Linuxbox as the
> gateway) to make my win95 box into a webserver?

> thank you...

> Stefan *

serving www from win95box on LAN with linux gateway?

Post by Alexander Pene » Wed, 26 May 1999 04:00:00

You can also use an Apache server on your Linux box:
in the httpd.conf you must create the following virtual host

<VirtualHost www.yourdomain.tld>

ServerName www.yourdomain.tld
ServerAdmin root
DocumentRoot /home/somedir/
ProxyRequests On
ProxyPass / http://www.veryComputer.com/
</VirtualHost>
I assume 192.168.1.10 is the IP of your Win95 box
In this way you can have many web servers in your net (configured as
virtual hosts)

If you make a ip forwarding all requests on the port 80 on your Linux Box
will be redirected to your .
Hope I could help you

> Hi all you helpful folks-

> I have a linuxbox with a static connection to the Internet, and a win95
> box on my LAN using the linuxbox as a gateway.

> I would like to run Apache on my win95 box to serve a filemaker pro
> database to the world, and am wondering if there is a way to do that
> with my present configuration? (I read something about port forwarding,
> but was unclear if that's a solution).

> If not, what's the best change to my set up (keeping my Linuxbox as the
> gateway) to make my win95 box into a webserver?

> thank you...

> Stefan *

1. Win98 on LAN served by a LINUX

Here is what I have on the LAN:
* LINUX (Redhat 5.2)
* NT
* WIN98
* WIN95

All of them are networked properly (at least they talk to each other)

When LINUX dials out to ISP and connected to the Internet, I would be able
to use netscape or read emails on either NT or WIN95, with IP Forwarding
setup on the LINUX.

Now, I added a WIN98 onto the LAN, and works fine with local machines
through network.  But somehow I could not go to any where on the Internet.
Seems that WIN98 is not working with the IP forwarding stuff.  I checked the
network setup and to me, it seems to be set up properly (otherwise I would
expect that it did not talk to any local machine at all!)

Any experience or pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Alan

2. Active ports

3. dumb question-linux serving '95 lan??? possible?

4. Weird network/keyboard problems???

5. Linux PPP serving as NT workstation gateways to Net

6. Red Hat 2.1& the net

7. Setting up Linux as a DNS and WWW server on a LAN with INET connection

8. XScreenSaver and NVidia OpenGL

9. What do I need to WWW-serve ??

10. WWW serving & NeXTStep

11. Setting up a mirroring WWW Serve ?

12. serving www

13. 7 of 8 Aliases Serve WWW but Can Not Be Ping'd