ppp connection to AT&T WorldNet Service

Post by Radovan Garabi » Thu, 27 Aug 1998 04:00:00

Hello,
I am writing this on behalf of a friend (he seems to be unable to post to
the news). He recently installed Debian 2.0 and is unable to connect to
his ISP (AT&T WorldNet Service, in Knoxville, Atlanta). If anybody has some

He has tried CHAP, PAP, etc... nothing worked.

Thanks

| Radovan Garabik       http://www.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |

Post by S. G. Studen » Fri, 28 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,
> I am writing this on behalf of a friend (he seems to be unable to post to
> the news). He recently installed Debian 2.0 and is unable to connect to
> his ISP (AT&T WorldNet Service, in Knoxville, Atlanta). If anybody has some

> He has tried CHAP, PAP, etc... nothing worked.

> Thanks

> --
>  --------------------------------------------------------------
> | Radovan Garabik       http://www.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |

>  --------------------------------------------------------------

check out WURD the WorldNet User's Reference Desk.  The article on
Connecting Linux and AT&T Worldnet Services.  It works great and has
been around sinceAug.1996.

ppp connection to AT&T WorldNet Service

Post by Dave Walke » Sat, 29 Aug 1998 04:00:00

<snip>

Quote:>check out WURD the WorldNet User's Reference Desk.  The article on
>Connecting Linux and AT&T Worldnet Services.  It works great and has
>been around sinceAug.1996.

FWIW, I first used the script mentioned here with Slack and Worldnet; I've
since used it with Caldera and now RedHat with 3 other ISPs. I've got it
backed up on a write protected floppy, and it's always one of the first
things restored after a new installation.

Dave Walker

Post by Alexander Berry, Jr » Sun, 30 Aug 1998 04:00:00

> Hello,
> I am writing this on behalf of a friend (he seems to be unable to post to
> the news). He recently installed Debian 2.0 and is unable to connect to
> his ISP (AT&T WorldNet Service, in Knoxville, Atlanta). If anybody has some

> He has tried CHAP, PAP, etc... nothing worked.

> Thanks

> --
>  --------------------------------------------------------------
> | Radovan Garabik       http://www.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |

>  --------------------------------------------------------------

  He can goto http://www.wurd.com/ and this is the worldnet user reference
desk and they have a script for linux.

Alexander Berry, Jr.

Post by PeHaSy » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> FWIW, I first used the script mentioned here with Slack and Worldnet; I've
> since used it with Caldera and now RedHat with 3 other ISPs. I've got it
> backed up on a write protected floppy, and it's always one of the first
> things restored after a new installation.

> Dave Walker

If that site (http://www.wurd.com/wurd/software/dialers/linux.html) worked for
me, I wouldn't need to ask people for help. Read my other messages in

access to that.
                        Peter.

ppp connection to AT&T WorldNet Service

Post by Mark Anda » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

So what is the problem you are experiencing?

The how-to and script worked perfectly for me.

--
Legal Warning: Anyone sending me unsolicited/commercial email
WILL be charged a $100 proof-reading fee. See US Code Title 47,

ppp connection to AT&T WorldNet Service

Post by PeHa.. » Tue, 01 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> So what is the problem you are experiencing?
> The how-to and script worked perfectly for me.

Read the logfile I sent in the mentioned worldnet newsgroup. It just doesn't log me
in, nor it says I have wrong username/password.
 - Peter.

ppp connection to AT&T WorldNet Service

Post by Matthew Scott Wallac » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

I am having the same problem.  No errors, just doesn't work.  I think
that somehow the server you are dialing into, is different from the
configuration that is mentioned in WURD help file.  Check your
/var/log/debug file to see if you are getting a response to LCP
ConfReq.  I don't know how to fix the problem, I was just wondering if
you are in fact having the same problem I am.  I tried to extract some
information out of AT&T, but all they said was "We don't support UNIX".
I think I'm probably just going to switch ISPs

Post by Alan Fri » Wed, 02 Sep 1998 04:00:00

>> Hello,
>> I am writing this on behalf of a friend (he seems to be unable to post to
>> the news). He recently installed Debian 2.0 and is unable to connect to
>> his ISP (AT&T WorldNet Service, in Knoxville, Atlanta). If anybody has some

>> He has tried CHAP, PAP, etc... nothing worked.

>> Thanks

>> --
>>  --------------------------------------------------------------
>> | Radovan Garabik       http://www.dnp.fmph.uniba.sk/~garabik/ |

>>  --------------------------------------------------------------

>  He can goto http://www.wurd.com/ and this is the worldnet user reference
>desk and they have a script for linux.

First off is his modem working??????
Use Seyon to test it. If it comes out
empty then try this command:
modemtool &

It will give a choice to configure the modem.

If this doesn't work check everything again thoroughly.

Did he edit the the chap-secrets file???

I didn't see the specifics of your original message and I've
already collected all of my messages and deleted them.

Hope this helps

Alan

ppp connection to AT&T WorldNet Service

Post by PeHa.. » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> First off is his modem working??????

Of course, my modem is working. It connects to WorldNet from Win95...and
I tried to connect there from Linux as well. It _connects_ (talking
about "chat" part), but then just says:
<pcomp> <accomp>]
...repeats it 9 times and then:
LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests
...and terminates connection.

Quote:> Use Seyon to test it. If it comes out
> empty then try this command:
> modemtool &

I've tried minicom and WvDial...

Quote:> If this doesn't work check everything again thoroughly.

Well, I think I did.

Quote:> Did he edit the the chap-secrets file???

Of course.

Quote:> Hope this helps

It didn't.
                                        Peter.

ppp connection to AT&T WorldNet Service

Post by PeHa.. » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Quote:> I am having the same problem.  No errors, just doesn't work.  I think
> that somehow the server you are dialing into, is different from the
> configuration that is mentioned in WURD help file.  Check your
> /var/log/debug file to see if you are getting a response to LCP
> ConfReq.  I don't know how to fix the problem, I was just wondering if

Something like this? :

<accomp>]

...followed by and repeated 9 times:
LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

Quote:> you are in fact having the same problem I am.  I tried to extract some
> information out of AT&T, but all they said was "We don't support UNIX".
> I think I'm probably just going to switch ISPs

Well, I am certainly going to... their 150 hours limit and more
expensive than others... you can get unlimited access for $17.95. It's
just taking a time until I'd be able to switch providers... so that's
why I am trying now to fix this problem... and use Linux on Internet!

                                                Peter.

Post by Matthew Scott Wallac » Thu, 03 Sep 1998 04:00:00

> <accomp>]

> ...followed by and repeated 9 times:
> LCP: timeout sending Config-Requests

That's the exact message I'm getting.. WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON???

Matt

ppp connection to AT&T WorldNet Service

Post by Jack Du » Mon, 07 Sep 1998 04:00:00

Okay guys... I just spend 2 hours trying to get LInux 2.1.106, pppd 2.3.5 to
work with AT&T's worldnet... and finally I did... man, this pppd stuff on
Linux is just to "complex", in a way, it is good for setting up ppp servers,
but how many people out there really use this pppd server feature?  After
all, it will confuse 99% of the users... anyway, here is how to get ppp work
for AT&T's crap:

1.)  /etc/ppp/options
modem
lock
crtscts
asyncmap 0
defaultroute
noauth

user <same as above>

2.) /etc/ppp/pap-secrets
<your_login>   *    <your_password>

3.) /etc/ppp/chap-secrets
<same as pap-secrets>

( I don't know what ATT uses, PAP or CHAP, so I made to files above )

4.)  my ppp-on script:

#!/bin/sh
#       Set up a PPP link
#

LOCKDIR=/var/lock/
DEVICE=modem

REPORT=/tmp/chat.ppp
CHAT="/usr/sbin/chat -r $REPORT"
PPPD="/usr/sbin/pppd"
MODEM_INIT=ATDT
PHONE=6738611

DIAL=${MODEM_INIT}${PHONE}
rm -f ${REPORT}
(
stty 38400 crtscts -tostop
(
stty 38400 crtscts -tostop

(
stty 38400 crtscts -tostop

if $CHAT REPORT CONNECT ABORT "NO CARRIER" ABORT BUSY "" ATZ OK ${DIAL} \
CONNECT ""
then
   $PPPD /dev/$DEVICE 38400
   sleep 10
   exit 0
else
   echo "PPP call failed" 1>&2
   exit 1
fi
) < /dev/$DEVICE > /dev/$DEVICE
# -- END ---

--

 UNIX System Administrator/Specialized Consultant
^------------------------------------------------------------------^

1. ppp & chat scripts for AT&T's worldnet service???

Hi,

I am able to dial up to my ISP (AT&T's worldnet) but I have problems
starting my ppp & chat scripts. (My kernel is compiled with pppd
support). I suspect that my login and password pair is not get accepted.
Note that I can connect fine  through NT. I am new to linux so I don't
really know how to troubleshoot things.

I would greatly appreciate if someone could email me his ppp and chat
scripts for connecting to AT&T worldnet or any other ISP. Should I exit
minicom without reseting the modem before I execute the scripts? I am
using RH linux 4.2.

Thanks a lot,
Makis Gaitanidis

2. 2.2.0pre7 problem with can't find map file

3. via-rhine

4. Making a @!&# PPP connection to WorldNet

5. rename file

6. PPP connection AT&T Worldnet

7. cctogcc

8. linux, PPP, AT&T Worldnet - looks like PPP does not start???

9. AT&T Worldnet cheapo service on RH 7.2?

10. Linux and AT&T Worldnet Service

11. KMail with AT&T Worldnet service?

12. PPP connection alarm, exit (to ATT worldnet)