Two network adapters anyone ?

Post by Tobie Horswil » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

Hi, I'm trying to get two network adapters to work under Mandrake 6.0. The
first adapter is an embedded Intel82558 (on an Asus P2B-LS motherboard) and
the other one is an SMC EtherEZ. Both adapters get detected during the
install as EPRO100 and NE2000 respectivelly. When the system reboots it
stops for several seconds on the eth0 item and then says FAILED and proceeds
with the rest of the boot. When I check in LINUXCONF only the EPRO100
appears as eth0. I tried adding the SMC card manually as an NE2000 on eth1
but neither adapters pass the boot process. At first the adapters shared
IRQ10 so I changed this in the BIOS thinking that this might be an issue but
it didn't change anything.

Any ideas ?

Two network adapters anyone ?

Post by Wayne Powe » Thu, 09 Dec 1999 04:00:00

My approach would be to pull out the SMC card and get things working with the
onboard ethernet.  Then look at /proc/interrupts and /proc/ioports to find
yourself an IRQ and IO address that won't conflict with anything else.  Hit
SMC's web site and get their dos utility for configuring their card, boot off a
dos floppy and use their utility to disable plug'n'pray and set the IRQ and IO
address.  With two different interfaces, it may not matter, but I have 2 SMC
cards so the driver must be loaded as a module rather than hard linked in the
kernel.  My /etc/conf.modules looks like...

alias eth0 smc-ultra
alias eth1 smc-ultra
options smc-ultra io=0x280,0x2a0 irq=10,5

I have RH5.2.  Hope this helps.

--wmp

> Hi, I'm trying to get two network adapters to work under Mandrake 6.0. The
> first adapter is an embedded Intel82558 (on an Asus P2B-LS motherboard) and
> the other one is an SMC EtherEZ. Both adapters get detected during the
> install as EPRO100 and NE2000 respectivelly. When the system reboots it
> stops for several seconds on the eth0 item and then says FAILED and proceeds
> with the rest of the boot. When I check in LINUXCONF only the EPRO100
> appears as eth0. I tried adding the SMC card manually as an NE2000 on eth1
> but neither adapters pass the boot process. At first the adapters shared
> IRQ10 so I changed this in the BIOS thinking that this might be an issue but
> it didn't change anything.

> Any ideas ?

1. Two network adapters on seperate networks problem

Greetings. Here's my situation: I have a PC running SuSe 9.3 that has
two NIC's. One of these is configured with a static IP such as:
device: eth0
IP: 10.9.81.204
Subnet Mask: 255.255.255.192
Default Gateway: 10.9.81.193

This is an "isolated" network. By this I mean that the routers on this
network have extensive access control lists so that only certain
machines on this network can see other machines. There is no access
from this network to the public internet, (the proxy server for the
internet is blocked on this network).

My other NIC is configured to get an IP via DHCP (although I could get
a static IP if that would help). It gets an IP like:
device: eth1
IP: 10.9.16.140
Subnet Mask:255.255.255.0
Gateway: 10.9.16.1

This network does have a connection to the public internet through a
proxy server at IP 10.22.2.100.

I can ping and ssh to machines on both networks. Machines on both
networks can see me, even my samba shares. But, I cannot get to the
public internet from my machine, it seems that my connection to the
proxy server is blocked. I suspect it is because my default gateway is
going through eth0 onto the private network. If I remove the default
gateway entry, then I can get to the public internet, but I loose the
connection I have to machines on the "isolated" network network.

Is there some sort of solution that will allow me to have my default
network traffic go to the eth1 adapter configured via DHCP, and still
allow traffic to go through eth0 for the isolated network. Note that
there are about 35 machines I need to connect to on the isolated
network. They have IP's in the 10.9.##. domains, where ## is 52-69. So,
maybe I could use a bunch of route statements to forward traffic to
these machines through the gateway of eth0? Or, maybe I just need to
use a route command to direct the proxy out eth1? I'm kind of at a loss
here, this sort of networking is not my strong suit.

Any help here is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Help With PPP

3. two network cards, two(?) networks, one computer...

4. Graphic user interface

5. Two network adapters

6. help with wireless lan card advice

7. installing two network adapter cards

8. funny nfs between Solaris 2.5 and Linux 2.0.36

9. Two network adapters

10. Strange behaior with two NE2000 network adapters.

11. Second network adapter

12. Problems with second network adaptor / routing

13. second network adapter... local intranet between 4 cpus