IEEE 1284 (bi-directional) == parallel null modem cable?

IEEE 1284 (bi-directional) == parallel null modem cable?

Post by Jason Etherid » Mon, 06 Sep 1999 04:00:00

I have a laptop and a desktop which both dual-boot win95 and linux 2.0.36.
I have an IEEE 1284 cable that came with a Mustek Plug-N-Scan 600 CP.  Can
I network the two machines with that cable, or will I have to go buy a
"Laplink" cable?  I'm going to try to set up PLIP on the linux partitions,
and the direct cable thing on the win95 partitions.

--

1. Configuring IEEE-1284, null-printer cables for PLIP

Greetings:
  I am referencing the book "Linux Network Administrator's Guide"
Appendix-A, by Mr. Olaf Kirch.  This page shows how to configure the
pin-outs for a null-printer cable, for the Parallel Line Interface
Protocol (a.k.a. - "PLIP").  Does the diagram below also apply to the
IEEE-1284 enhanced parallel port standards?

        D0/ERROR        ( 2 -> 15)
        D1/SLCT         ( 3 -> 13)
        D2/PAPOUT       ( 4 -> 12)
        D3/ACK          ( 5 -> 10)
        D4/BUSY         ( 6 -> 11)
        GROUND/GROUND   (25 -> 25)

  I plan on using 6-pin RJ11 phone chord, with DB25/RJ11 adapters on
both ends.  If there's more pin-outs I need to consider, than I
obviously need to rebuild my adapters and get new phone chords (no
problem).

Thank you for your time,
    THE PRECEDING REFLECTS THE VIEWS OF THE AUTHOR
   AND NOT, NECESSARILY, THE VIEWS OF EDWARD JONES.

2. Adaptec 7890 U2/W/SCSI friendly with Linux/FreeBSD?

3. Support for IEEE 1284 Parallel Port

4. Duel Boot O/S problems

5. Status of IEEE 1284 Parallel port driver?

6. Postscript Converters for DotMatrix

7. Driving IEEE-1284 (ECP) parallel printers via bpp?

8. SOUP reader

9. IEEE-1284 Parallel port in ECP mode problems

10. bi-directional parallel ports/brother HL-630

11. Bi-directional parallel port device

12. Lexmark Printers / bi-directional parallel

13. bi-directional parallel communications