Anybody knows if there is any good virus scanning tools in Linux with sendmail?

Post by Henr » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:36:00

Anybody knows if there is any good virus scanning tools in Linux with
sendmail?
The tool should be able to detect the windows virus, and auto-unzip the
zipped files for scanning. And better always have an updated virus
definition for download. Any suggestion? Thank you very much!

Brgds,
Henry

Post by Bit Twiste » Fri, 27 Jun 2003 23:58:35

> Anybody knows if there is any good virus scanning tools in Linux with
> sendmail?
> The tool should be able to detect the windows virus, and auto-unzip the
> zipped files for scanning. And better always have an updated virus
> definition for download. Any suggestion? Thank you very much!

More answers at
        good virus scanner           in the first box
        *linux*                      in the Newsgroup, pick english

returns over 9,000 hits, change to      best virus scanner
returns over 400 hits

Five minutes of just looking for links in the text gets me,
in no order of importance:

        http://www.centralcommand.com
        http://www.symantec.com/product
        http://mcafee.com
        http://www.openantivirus.org
        http://freshmeat.net/search/?q=virus§ion=projects
        http://www.f-secure.com/
        http://sourceforge.net/projects/openantivirus
        http://www.sophos.com
        http://www.kaspersky.com
        http://www.pspl.com
        http://www.hbedv.com
        http://www.ravantivirus.com
        http://www.antivirus.com
        http://clamav.elektrapro.com/
        http://www.openantivirus.org

Use http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search again to
check responses for the product you think about using.

Post by Timo Voipi » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 00:23:40

>    http://www.ravantivirus.com

RAV AV has been acquired by Microsoft. Scratch that one...

-Timo

--
Timo Voipio | Helsinki, Finland | ICBM at: 60 11.800 N 024 52.760 E
GeekCode ver 3: GU>CC d s-: a--- C++ UL(+)$>+++$ P+>+++ L++(+) E- W++ N++

Anybody knows if there is any good virus scanning tools in Linux with sendmail?

Post by Peteris Krumin » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 03:22:33

Quote:> Anybody knows if there is any good virus scanning tools in Linux with
> sendmail?
> The tool should be able to detect the windows virus, and auto-unzip the
> zipped files for scanning. And better always have an updated virus
> definition for download. Any suggestion? Thank you very much!

The best is amavis. It works with sendmail's libmilter interface and with
many different antivirus scanners.
Also amavis detects different mime types and decompresses if any compresses
files (gz, tar, zip, arc etc.) were found.

I have set it up with mcafee antivirus scanner (30-day evalution version).
The trial is over half a year, but the scanner still works.
And a simple script checks for mcafee definition file updates once an hour.

Also you might want to set up spam-protection. SpamAssassin with
spamassassin-milter interface. Also works perfect.

P.Krumins

Post by Les Mikesel » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 10:48:26

Quote:> Anybody knows if there is any good virus scanning tools in Linux with
> sendmail?
> The tool should be able to detect the windows virus, and auto-unzip the
> zipped files for scanning. And better always have an updated virus
> definition for download. Any suggestion? Thank you very much!

Mimedefang from http://www.mimedefang.org/ provides a milter interface to
sendmail and allows you to run spamassasin and the virus scanner of your
choice.  Clam is a good free one: http://clamav.elektrapro.com/.

---
  Les Mikesell

Post by Stuart » Sat, 28 Jun 2003 23:38:13

>> Anybody knows if there is any good virus scanning tools in Linux with
>> sendmail?
>> The tool should be able to detect the windows virus, and auto-unzip the
>> zipped files for scanning. And better always have an updated virus
>> definition for download. Any suggestion? Thank you very much!

<big snip>

I use Mailscanner with Sophos - it's been bulletproof for over 2 years
now. Sophos enterprise license is relatively inexpensive as well 5 years -
4k (aprox)

http://www.sng.ecs.soton.ac.uk/mailscanner/