Problems compiling IRC 2.9 server

Post by Steve Harr » Sat, 13 May 1995 04:00:00

I'm trying to compile the IRC server (version 2.9).  The instructions
tell you to edit the config.h file for your version of Unix.  Linux
isn't an option and the others I've tried don't work.  You then run a
configure script which checks verious include options and creates a
Makefile for you.  But when you compile you get many errors (most
having to do with items that have been re-defined).

Can anyone help me out?  The easiest solution to my problem would be to
find a version of ircd that's already compiled for Linux (although that
may be against the guidelines of it's authors).  Any help would be
appreciated...

Post by Steve Harri » Sat, 13 May 1995 04:00:00

[...]

1. IRC 2.9 problems

Hallo,

I have somewhat funny troubles to install correctly ircd on my Linux
box.
(I'm using <irc2.9.1p16.tgz>)
It seems that there is a bug in the support/bsdintall script or in the
script that calls it.
The problem is that the bsdintall script tries sometimes to copy files
to locations like local/../doc/example
Obviously, the "/../" part of the path is wrong.
I believe this is due to a command like:
file=$2/$1
in the bsdintall script.
It seems that the arguments that this script sees look sometimes like
e.g.
-c ../doc/example.conf /usr/local
This does then generate funny path names :-/.

Now, after installing all the files to location where I believe they
should be, I tried to execute ircd with different arguments but I never
got much of a replay.
irc too, just says:

irc: unknown host

and irc from other machines say something like:

connection refused

So, what am I doing wrong.
And is there somewhere more information that deals with this sort of
problems??

Georg

Georg P. Israel                 Phone:        +41-1-6324583
IBT                             Fax:          +41-1-6321214

SWITZERLAND

2. rcmd?????

3. Problems with compiling IRC server

4. compile problem with wu ftpd 2.4 fixed ?

5. Problems compiling IRC server

6. sendmail -d ???

7. trying to compile 2.9 stable, unknown group network

8. Ethernet or USB

9. Compiling PHP on OpenBSD 2.9

10. x compile fails after applying patch 009 (OpenBSD 2.9)

11. Function missing when compiling ircII-2.2.9

12. KDE 2.9 compile errors

13. Error compiling Libvga-1.2.9