Can anyone really recommend a good linux based web host?

Can anyone really recommend a good linux based web host?

Post by Max » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Hi -

I run a few domains and have been repeatedly disappointed by my most web
hosting providers. I'm looking for a new one and don't mind spending well
above market for good no-excuses performance, along with responsible,
capable, and personal technical support. Just simple things like adding a
user on a typical community server can be maddening otherwise. Is there such
a thing out there? I'm beginning to wonder. Maybe you are doomed to be
helpless until you run your own server.

This is especially difficult for someone who can run their own server but
wants to avoid the cost and hassle.

Web hosting providers tend to have great prices and good features but
performance frequently slips with no explanation and no remedy. Efforts to
address this issue only result in bluffs and cop out but no real
explanations or fixes. Sign-up and set up is always easy enough.

When you need specific help after you did everything you could on your own
and reading their support docs the support stinks. This seems almost
universal. Your lucky if they read past the subject line. They usually
respond with some cryptic cut and paste that you already read in the support
docs and doesn't help. They always assume that your ignorant and there's
nothing wrong or you broke something. Of course you never get a name or
phone number so you respond in the blind. Then you get another similar if
not identical response from some other overworked, underpaid, isolated,
email slave that's equally useless. This can go on and on forever if you
don't make lots of noise. Even Yahoo store can be like this. There is never
a telephone support number.

Again I'd pay 5 times average market web hosting prices for good reliable
and verifiable no-excuses performance, real live support people with names
and phone numbers who can speak in real meaningful sentences and can read a
whole email in one sitting and maybe have the guts to ask a few more
questions to make sure they provide the right help.

Any suggestions that aren't sales pitches, please respond via email.

Max Bell
planestuff.com
214-320-7233

Can anyone really recommend a good linux based web host?

Post by Sara » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

One that I have found excellent and that has 24/7 live tech support by chat
or telephone is http://www.adgrafix.com/info/skanary/

--

Kanary's Web
http://www.instantinternetmall.com/kanarysweb/

[...]

Post by Scott Gra » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

useractive.com has more than everything you will ever need.
http://www.useractive.com

> Hi -

> I run a few domains and have been repeatedly disappointed by my most web
> hosting providers. I'm looking for a new one and don't mind spending well
> above market for good no-excuses performance, along with responsible,
> capable, and personal technical support. Just simple things like adding a
> user on a typical community server can be maddening otherwise. Is there such
> a thing out there? I'm beginning to wonder. Maybe you are doomed to be
> helpless until you run your own server.

> This is especially difficult for someone who can run their own server but
> wants to avoid the cost and hassle.

> Web hosting providers tend to have great prices and good features but
> performance frequently slips with no explanation and no remedy. Efforts to
> address this issue only result in bluffs and cop out but no real
> explanations or fixes. Sign-up and set up is always easy enough.

> When you need specific help after you did everything you could on your own
> and reading their support docs the support stinks. This seems almost
> universal. Your lucky if they read past the subject line. They usually
> respond with some cryptic cut and paste that you already read in the support
> docs and doesn't help. They always assume that your ignorant and there's
> nothing wrong or you broke something. Of course you never get a name or
> phone number so you respond in the blind. Then you get another similar if
> not identical response from some other overworked, underpaid, isolated,
> email slave that's equally useless. This can go on and on forever if you
> don't make lots of noise. Even Yahoo store can be like this. There is never
> a telephone support number.

> Again I'd pay 5 times average market web hosting prices for good reliable
> and verifiable no-excuses performance, real live support people with names
> and phone numbers who can speak in real meaningful sentences and can read a
> whole email in one sitting and maybe have the guts to ask a few more
> questions to make sure they provide the right help.

> Any suggestions that aren't sales pitches, please respond via email.

> Max Bell
> planestuff.com
> 214-320-7233

Can anyone really recommend a good linux based web host?

Post by .echoch » Fri, 12 Nov 1999 04:00:00

  :: Visit http://<SNIP SPAM URL>

Spam, dont bother.

Here are some other searching sites.
Some are better than others:

http://budgetweb.com/
http://www.findahost.com/
http://www.findwebspace.com/
http://www.hostfinders.com/
http://www.hostinvestigator.com/go.asp
http://www.hostindex.com/
http://www.hostreview.com/
http://www.hostsearch.com/
http://webhostlist.internetlist.com/
http://www.tophosts.com/

Visit http://webhosting.24hourstore.com

Post by Jordan Kat » Sat, 13 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hi -

> I run a few domains and have been repeatedly disappointed by my most web
> hosting providers. I'm looking for a new one and don't mind spending well
> above market for good no-excuses performance, along with responsible,
> capable, and personal technical support. Just simple things like adding a
> user on a typical community server can be maddening otherwise. Is there such
> a thing out there? I'm beginning to wonder. Maybe you are doomed to be
> helpless until you run your own server.

> This is especially difficult for someone who can run their own server but
> wants to avoid the cost and hassle.

> Web hosting providers tend to have great prices and good features but
> performance frequently slips with no explanation and no remedy. Efforts to
> address this issue only result in bluffs and cop out but no real
> explanations or fixes. Sign-up and set up is always easy enough.

> When you need specific help after you did everything you could on your own
> and reading their support docs the support stinks. This seems almost
> universal. Your lucky if they read past the subject line. They usually
> respond with some cryptic cut and paste that you already read in the support
> docs and doesn't help. They always assume that your ignorant and there's
> nothing wrong or you broke something. Of course you never get a name or
> phone number so you respond in the blind. Then you get another similar if
> not identical response from some other overworked, underpaid, isolated,
> email slave that's equally useless. This can go on and on forever if you
> don't make lots of noise. Even Yahoo store can be like this. There is never
> a telephone support number.

> Again I'd pay 5 times average market web hosting prices for good reliable
> and verifiable no-excuses performance, real live support people with names
> and phone numbers who can speak in real meaningful sentences and can read a
> whole email in one sitting and maybe have the guts to ask a few more
> questions to make sure they provide the right help.

> Any suggestions that aren't sales pitches, please respond via email.

After having *very* bad experience with web hosts who don't know what
they're doing ::cough siteamerica.com cough::, I found
http://www.globalspace.net which is a *wonderful* web host. Tech support
replies within minutes, service is stable, and the price is reasonable.

--
_________________________________
Jordan Katz

``Who has the patch pumpkin?''

C-FAQ: http://www.eskimo.com/~scs/C-faq/top.html

Can anyone really recommend a good linux based web host?

Post by Mike Flahert » Tue, 16 Nov 1999 04:00:00

I use www.jumpline.net .  Their servers are pretty fast and they allow
telnet access.  I'm pretty satisfied.

Post by Simon Brook » Wed, 17 Nov 1999 04:00:00

> Hi -

> I run a few domains and have been repeatedly disappointed by my most web
> hosting providers. I'm looking for a new one and don't mind spending well
> above market for good no-excuses performance, along with responsible,
> capable, and personal technical support. Just simple things like adding a
> user on a typical community server can be maddening otherwise. Is there such
> a thing out there? I'm beginning to wonder. Maybe you are doomed to be
> helpless until you run your own server.

> This is especially difficult for someone who can run their own server but
> wants to avoid the cost and hassle.

It isn't much cost and it isn't much hassle. Either
(i) Find a freindly soul with a leased line who will let you hook your
    box onto it, and administer it using SSH; or
(ii) Get a leased line installed into your home or wherever and find
    several other people to hook boxes onto it to share the cost.

--

Ye hypocrites! are these your pranks? To * men and give God thanks?
Desist, for shame! Proceed no further: God won't accept your thanks for murther

Can anyone really recommend a good linux based web host?

Post by John Hins » Thu, 18 Nov 1999 04:00:00

On Fri, 12 Nov 1999 20:10:18 -0800, Jordan Katz

Sorry, missed the original posts, but I know of some Linux-based hosts
in the UK. Are these of interest?

John Hinson

Studio433
Realistically priced Web Hosting & Design
http://www.studio433.co.uk

Can anyone really recommend a good linux based web host?

Post by Nanda Linn Aun » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

check

http://www.interactiveonline.net

it's linux based apache web server running.
hope it helps
sincerely,
Nanda Linn Aung

Can anyone really recommend a good linux based web host?

Post by Clark Simmon » Sun, 21 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Greetings!

You can run more traffic than you would think possible with an Apache
Server and a dedicated ISDN connection.  ISDN may be slower than some
others, but it's reliable, and I place more importance on that.

I've been running my own servers from my home for over 3 years.

Regards,
Clark Simmons

http://xld.com/public/dpec/default.htm
Web Based Computer Training
Take all 310 + courses for only $120 (US) per year!

> Hi -
> I run a few domains and have been repeatedly disappointed by my
> most web
> hosting providers. I'm looking for a new one and don't mind
> spending well
> above market for good no-excuses performance, along with
> responsible,
> capable, and personal technical support. Just simple things like
> adding a
> user on a typical community server can be maddening otherwise. Is
> there such
> a thing out there? I'm beginning to wonder. Maybe you are doomed
> to be
> helpless until you run your own server.
> This is especially difficult for someone who can run their own
> server but
> wants to avoid the cost and hassle.
> Web hosting providers tend to have great prices and good features
> but
> performance frequently slips with no explanation and no remedy.
> Efforts to
> address this issue only result in bluffs and cop out but no real
> explanations or fixes. Sign-up and set up is always easy enough.
> When you need specific help after you did everything you could on
> your own
> and reading their support docs the support stinks. This seems
> almost
> universal. Your lucky if they read past the subject line. They
> usually
> respond with some cryptic cut and paste that you already read in
> the support
> docs and doesn't help. They always assume that your ignorant and
> there's
> nothing wrong or you broke something. Of course you never get a
> name or
> phone number so you respond in the blind. Then you get another
> similar if
> not identical response from some other overworked, underpaid,
> isolated,
> email slave that's equally useless. This can go on and on forever
> if you
> don't make lots of noise. Even Yahoo store can be like this. There
> is never
> a telephone support number.
> Again I'd pay 5 times average market web hosting prices for good
> reliable
> and verifiable no-excuses performance, real live support people
> with names
> and phone numbers who can speak in real meaningful sentences and
> can read a
> whole email in one sitting and maybe have the guts to ask a few
> more
> questions to make sure they provide the right help.
> Any suggestions that aren't sales pitches, please respond via
> email.

> Max Bell
> planestuff.com
> 214-320-7233

Can anyone really recommend a good linux based web host?

Post by Vikra » Tue, 23 Nov 1999 04:00:00

Try www.vmcinfotech.com $5/ mo for domain hosting. if you request them, they
even give a free trial.

Vikram