problem with networking

Post by Davide Dozz » Wed, 09 Oct 1996 04:00:00

For an unknown reason I can't connect a Linux machine in a
windows NT network. We use TCP-IP protocol and I followed the
Slackware setup to configure the machine.
The kernel recognizes network card as AMD Lance, my IP address
is connected to eth0 device (I saw it using ifconfig),
I can do FTP to myself but I can't reach any other machine
and any other machine can't reach me.
It seems that if I do FTP 200.200.200.5 it tries to get another
IP address or something like that.
I don't have a name server and I don't have a gateway so
I have specified as Gateway address the same of my machine.

I am using 2.0.8 release.
The first time I installed 1.2.13 I was able to see the network
but after few time I lose the net. Also with the new kernel I can't
connect my machine.

Can someone give me any suggestions ???

Davide.

problem with networking

Post by Nicolas Weidma » Thu, 10 Oct 1996 04:00:00

Quote:>For an unknown reason I can't connect a Linux machine in a
>windows NT network. We use TCP-IP protocol and I followed the
>Slackware setup to configure the machine.
>The kernel recognizes network card as AMD Lance, my IP address
>is connected to eth0 device (I saw it using ifconfig),
>I can do FTP to myself but I can't reach any other machine
>and any other machine can't reach me.
>It seems that if I do FTP 200.200.200.5 it tries to get another
>IP address or something like that.
>I don't have a name server and I don't have a gateway so
>I have specified as Gateway address the same of my machine.

>I am using 2.0.8 release.
>The first time I installed 1.2.13 I was able to see the network
>but after few time I lose the net. Also with the new kernel I can't
>connect my machine.

>Can someone give me any suggestions ???

>Davide.

This may be a stupid question, but is your Linux machine in the same
sub-network as your other machines?
I run a web server and I am a client of a NT server and everything works fine.

Nicolas

1. Iproute2 problem across networks using NAT and 2 internal networks

Hi all,
Here's the deal. I have a machine that faces the internet and has an
internal network and a DMZ. I am using iproute to NAT an ip from
public to private.

ip route add nat 4.4.4.4 via 10.1.1.1
ip rule add from 10.1.1.1 nat 4.4.4.4

Everything works fine with the preceding route and rule when talking
to the machine from the internet. The problem is that when a machine
in the internal network, say 10.1.2.1, talks to the 10.1.1.1 machine
in the DMZ, the replies get natted to 4.4.4.4, instead of replies with
the src address of 10.1.1.1. The idea is to have these ip's not get
natted when going in between the DMZ and Internal Network. Thus, the
replies come from 10.1.1.1. I toyed around with using multiple routing
tables but got nowhere. Please advise.

Internet -----|Firewall|---DMZ--- 10.1.1.1 (NAT 4.4.4.4)

           Internal Network

              10.1.2.1

Internet to DMZ is working fine with NAT.
Internal Network, 10.1.2.1 talking to 10.1.1.1, replies come from
4.4.4.4
I need replies to come from 10.1.1.1.

TIA for any guidance.

2. Emacs-19.28 compilation error on Linux1.1.79/libc.so.4.6.27

3. Problem with network(connecting to internet via local network)

4. Bad Hard Disks - Processes?

5. modprobe / module problem w/ network drivers (but network works)

6. Apache: mod_dav 1.0.3: mixed owners in dir failure

7. Network problem: SIOCADDT: Network is unreachable

8. Burning with MITSUMI 2600TE and CDRECORD: Please help me !!!!!!!

9. network problem - local network setup

10. PPP Problem or network problem?

11. Problems with network printing

12. Problems Installing Network Card