Samba Networking

Post by Devvyn Sati » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 21:58:05

I have installed and samba works fine on Suse 7.1
I can smbclient to the other computers and they can read the linux machine

Now what I want to do is to play the mp3s on another computer //Server/Mp3s
(192.168.0.1) with just the KDE media player. How can i go about this? Can
i map the network and use it as a drive like windows? or do i need a
program or something else?
any suggestions please

thanx

Samba Networking

Post by Nils O. Sel?sd » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 22:58:11

> I have installed and samba works fine on Suse 7.1
> I can smbclient to the other computers and they can read the linux machine

> Now what I want to do is to play the mp3s on another computer //Server/Mp3s
> (192.168.0.1) with just the KDE media player. How can i go about this? Can
> i map the network and use it as a drive like windows? or do i need a
> program or something else?
> any suggestions please

mount the share at your linux box, e.g.
mount -t smbfs -o username=user,password=password //Server/Mp3s /mnt/mp3
Just make sure to create the /mnt/mp3s dir. Now you can just browse
to /mnt/mp3s and use the files there just as they were on your local machine..

Samba Networking

Post by Devvyn Sati » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:10:59

How can i make it so it does this everytime i boot linux?
it just would be easier instead of tryin 2 remember the code everytime i
wanna use the mp3s.

> > I have installed and samba works fine on Suse 7.1
> > I can smbclient to the other computers and they can read the linux
machine

> > Now what I want to do is to play the mp3s on another computer
file://Server/Mp3s
> > (192.168.0.1) with just the KDE media player. How can i go about this?
Can
> > i map the network and use it as a drive like windows? or do i need a
> > program or something else?
> > any suggestions please
> mount the share at your linux box, e.g.
> mount -t smbfs -o username=user,password=password file://Server/Mp3s/mnt/mp3
> Just make sure to create the /mnt/mp3s dir. Now you can just browse
> to /mnt/mp3s and use the files there just as they were on your local

machine..

Samba Networking

Post by Devvyn Sati » Wed, 19 Jun 2002 23:20:05

ok i entered it as this
mount -t smbfs -o username=server,password= file://Server/Mp3 /mnt/mp3

server is the logon name and computer name, and there is no password to
login.
I got:

Could no resolve mount point /mnt/mp3

i created the dir /mnt/mp3 as well.

any idea why its not working?

> > I have installed and samba works fine on Suse 7.1
> > I can smbclient to the other computers and they can read the linux
machine

> > Now what I want to do is to play the mp3s on another computer
file://Server/Mp3s
> > (192.168.0.1) with just the KDE media player. How can i go about this?
Can
> > i map the network and use it as a drive like windows? or do i need a
> > program or something else?
> > any suggestions please
> mount the share at your linux box, e.g.
> mount -t smbfs -o username=user,password=password file://Server/Mp3s/mnt/mp3
> Just make sure to create the /mnt/mp3s dir. Now you can just browse
> to /mnt/mp3s and use the files there just as they were on your local

machine..

Samba Networking

Post by Rod Smi » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 00:24:01

Quote:> How can i make it so it does this everytime i boot linux?
> it just would be easier instead of tryin 2 remember the code everytime i
> wanna use the mp3s.

You can add the share to your /etc/fstab file:

//Server/Mp3s /mnt/mp3 smbfs username=user,password=password,uid=500,gid=100 0 0

This specific command sets the UID on all files to 500 and the GID on
all files to 100. Change as appropriate. You can also include the
fmask=abc and dmask=abc options to set the file and directory masks,
respectively (in both cases, "abc" is an octal permission string, such
as 644 or 775).

**WARNING** Setting the system up to auto-mount the partition in this
way exposes the password in the /etc/fstab file, which is potentially
risky. Just how risky it is depends on the nature of your network (many
vs. few users, whether it's got a firewall, etc.), how sensitive the
remote share is, and whether the remote share's password is used for
anything else. Don't use this feature unless you really need to, and if
you do, take steps to prevent abuse, such as limiting use of that
password. Even if you're running a one-person network at home, the risk
of abuse isn't 0, since a Trojan horse or cracker might conceivably
compromise one system and use that access to invade others.

--

http://www.rodsbooks.com
Author of books on Linux & multi-OS configuration

Samba Networking

Post by Devvyn Sati » Thu, 20 Jun 2002 19:28:42

ok i entered it as this
mount -t smbfs -o username=server,password= file://Server/Mp3 /mnt/mp3

server is the logon name and computer name, and there is no password to
login.
I got:

Could no resolve mount point /mnt/mp3

i created the dir /mnt/mp3 as well.

any idea why its not working?

> > I have installed and samba works fine on Suse 7.1
> > I can smbclient to the other computers and they can read the linux
machine

> > Now what I want to do is to play the mp3s on another computer
file://Server/Mp3s
> > (192.168.0.1) with just the KDE media player. How can i go about this?
Can
> > i map the network and use it as a drive like windows? or do i need a
> > program or something else?
> > any suggestions please
> mount the share at your linux box, e.g.
> mount -t smbfs -o username=user,password=password file://Server/Mp3s/mnt/mp3
> Just make sure to create the /mnt/mp3s dir. Now you can just browse
> to /mnt/mp3s and use the files there just as they were on your local

machine..

Samba Networking

Post by Michael » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 09:14:26

On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 18:28:42 +0800, "Devvyn Satie"

>ok i entered it as this
>mount -t smbfs -o username=server,password= file://Server/Mp3 /mnt/mp3

mount -t smbfs -o username=blah,password=, \\server\mp3 /mnt/mp3
or
mount -t smbfs -o username=blah,password=,\\ip.of.server.machine\mp3
/mnt/mp3

As a guess..

I'll consult my workstation when I get home and confirm how i do it.

Thanks

Samba Networking

Post by Karl Heye » Fri, 21 Jun 2002 21:47:03

> On Wed, 19 Jun 2002 18:28:42 +0800, "Devvyn Satie"

>>ok i entered it as this
>>mount -t smbfs -o username=server,password= file://Server/Mp3 /mnt/mp3

> mount -t smbfs -o username=blah,password=, \\server\mp3 /mnt/mp3
> or
> mount -t smbfs -o username=blah,password=,\\ip.of.server.machine\mp3
> /mnt/mp3

> As a guess..

don't use \\ as that maybe interpreted by the shell, use // instead

I've tried against win98 and following work just fine

mount -t smbfs -o username=user,password= //server/programs /mnt

karl.

1. Network Neighbourhood in Samba network?

We have a network comprising a RedHat 7.0 Internet gateway, RedHat 6.0
File Server, 26 x Windows95 PCs, a Win98PC,  an NT4 Server, an NT4
workstation and a Win2K workstation.  Also attached are 2 x SCO
Openserver V Servers with some 40 x Wyse terminals attached.

The 2 x SCO boxes were on an IP range of 100.100.101.x and the rest
were on 193.2.0.x and the two network segments were joined by 2
Network cards in the NT Workstation. Samba is running on both the
RedHat boxes but not the SCO machines. Both the NT PCs are running
peer-to-peer with no domains configured and the common Workgroup is
called "workgroup".

All has been fine and we have been able to view the Windows Network
Neighbourhood with no problems. I could see the Linux and Win95/NT
machines and view the Samba shares. Telnetting into the SCO and Linux
boxes has been fine.

A decision was made to get all the computers on the same IP range and
so everything was moved to 192.168.0.x and the extra network card
removed from the NT box.

All is working fine again, except I cannot now see the windows Network
Neighbourhood. When I click on the NN icon on any Windows PC, it says
"Workgroup name not found". I can map drives OK and access all the
same functions with the one exception of not being able to browse the
Windows NN.

I have upgraded both Linux boxes to the latest version of Samba for
each of them but it is still the same. I suspect that it may have
something to do with the master browser for the network, but I do not
know which machine that would be. I can start to disconnect PCs from
the network until NN comes back again and fault-find it that way, but
as the business runs 21+ hours per day it is dificult to just close
people down and shutdown the servers.

Does anyone have any idea why this could be happening?

If you could post your reply to both the newsgroup and to my email
address as well I would be most appreciative.

Regards,
Brad
Brisbane, Australia

To reply, please remove the "zz" from my email address.

"On the side of the software box, in the 'System Requirements' section,
it said 'Requires Windows 2000 or better'. So I installed Linux."

2. Problem with PPP and default gateway!

3. Samba, network neighborhood browsing & arp proxy

4. problem in leaving X

5. Samba networking

6. pppd unable to validate

7. Samba networking slow on RH 5.2

8. StarOffice 5.2 install problems

9. Samba, Network Browsing

10. FS: Samba networking book

11. Samba + Network Neighbourhood

12. Win2k client in Samba network refuses to use DNS, only NBNS broadcast

13. Samba-network drives read only