Quake and ip-masquerading

Post by Bjoern Stensru » Sun, 23 Feb 1997 04:00:00

Hi!

I am connecting to quake servers on the internet
from a LAN running TCP/IP, which is connected to the
internet via a local ISDN gateway (linux box next
door). This gateway connects to the local ISP
dynamically on demand (automatically closing down
after 5 mins without traffic). The problem is that
the gateway is running masquerading/firewall,
which make the machines located on the local
network invisible (they are using local IP adresses,
10.x.x.x) to the outside world. Anyway, IRC and ftp
works just fine on the internet, so there has to be
a workaround...?

When I connect to a Quake-server from a machine on
our net, I get "Connection accepted", but nothing
more...

So my question boils down to: Is it possible to
connect a machine on this LAN to a quake server
on the internet (TCP/IP)?

I guess Quake are using UDP packages, and these will not
be able to return to the local machine behind our gateway.
But what if I got assigned an static IP-address on the
ISDN router (in addition to the one dynamically assigned
to the gateway on connection)? Could I get the gateway to
pass these packages through to a machine on the local net
assigned to this IP-adress? Another possibility could
perhaps be to use the IP-adress assigned to the gateway,
and make the gateway repeat it's packages out on our local
net, so the machine running quake could pick them up?

Hope anyone can help!

Bjoern.

   Bjoern Stensrud -  Norwegian University of Science and Technology

Quake and ip-masquerading

Post by J. Lawrence Steph » Sun, 23 Feb 1997 04:00:00

: Hi!

: I am connecting to quake servers on the internet
: from a LAN running TCP/IP, which is connected to the
: internet via a local ISDN gateway (linux box next
: door). This gateway connects to the local ISP
: dynamically on demand (automatically closing down
: after 5 mins without traffic). The problem is that
: the gateway is running masquerading/firewall,
: which make the machines located on the local
: network invisible (they are using local IP adresses,
: 10.x.x.x) to the outside world. Anyway, IRC and ftp
: works just fine on the internet, so there has to be
: a workaround...?

I can't verify anything (yet) but I saw this posting a few weeks back:
(I've split the ftp lines so they'll fit.  Also, I'm suspicious there
 may be some typos.)

Quote:>The only way i've found to make this work is to use a program called
>qudproxy, qudproxy-1.0.tar.gz can be downloaded at:

>ftp://ftp.stomped.com/pub/idgames2/utils/network_serial/proxies/
>qudproxy-1..0..tar..gz

>or

>ftp://ftp.lame.org/mirrors/quake_stuff/idgames2/utils/network_serial/
>qudproxy-1..0..tar..gz

Sorry, I didn't save who wrote the message.

Larry

Larry Stephan          "Sometimes I think the surest sign there's intelligent

                            Bill Watterson - "Calvin and Hobbes"

1. Real audio and Quake IP masquerade module problems

Hi,

Im a relative newcomer to this group and to Linux so Im hoping this isnt
one of those questions asked over and over again.
I have kernel v2.0.31 with IP masquerade compiled into it with all the
other things the IP masquerade HOWTO said to include. However whenever I
run rc.modules with the following...

/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_ftp.o
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_irc.o
/sbin/modprobe ip_masq_raudio.o
/sbin/modprobe
ip_masq_quake.o
I get these errors...

/etc/rc.d/rc.modules: line 173:   339 Segmentation fault      (core
dumped) /sbi
n/modprobe ip_masq_raudio.o
/etc/rc.d/rc.modules: line 174:   340 Segmentation fault      (core
dumped) /sbi
n/modprobe ip_masq_quake.o

Commenting out the quake and real audio lines helps, as you would
expect.

Did I compile the modules incorrectly? Or is it something else?
I am using a Slakware distribution if that helps.

Thanks,
andrew

2. No Disk That Meet Criteria Found

3. Quake 2 behind Linux IP masquerade?

4. Fork/Exec and Too Many Defunct Processes?

5. IP Masquerading with quake

6. AIX dlopen Error...

7. Quake and IP Masquerading

8. tar loops with DLT 7000 /dev/fd/0

9. Quake 2 server through ip masquerading?

10. IP Masquerading and quake

11. IP Masquerading and Quake

12. Quake on an IP Masqueraded network?

13. QUAKE and IP Masquerading