networking a notebook to different networks

networking a notebook to different networks

Post by Markus Reinhard » Sun, 17 Jan 1999 04:00:00

Hello,

I have a notebook running Linux. The notebook is part time connected
to our network at the university via a ethernet card. When I am using my
notebook at
home I want to connect the notebook to my desktop PC running Linux.
Unfortuately I can not use a ethernet connection. But I hope I can use
a serial port (and SLIP or PPP ?). I want to ftp and telnet from  the
notebook to
the desktop PC and vice versa.

How can this be done ?

Regards,

Markus

networking a notebook to different networks

Post by Jim Richards » Mon, 18 Jan 1999 04:00:00

On Sat, 16 Jan 1999 16:24:43 +0100,
 Markus Reinhardt

Quote:>Hello,

>I have a notebook running Linux. The notebook is part time connected
>to our network at the university via a ethernet card. When I am using my
>notebook at
>home I want to connect the notebook to my desktop PC running Linux.
>Unfortuately I can not use a ethernet connection. But I hope I can use
>a serial port (and SLIP or PPP ?). I want to ftp and telnet from  the
>notebook to
>the desktop PC and vice versa.

>How can this be done ?

>Regards,

>Markus

In general terms, make a script that does the following

for univ.

activates the eth0 interface, with proper address
makes the default route, the eth0 interface

for home

activates the ppp0 interface with proper address
makes the default route the ppp0 interface

run appropriate script at appropriat location.

Also, netcfg will let you set this up graphically, configure eth0 and ppp0
appropriately for each network (ppp0 for home setup, eth0 for school )
 this is a redhat util tho' no use if you're using slackware or suse etc.

--
Jim Richardson
        Anarchist, pagan and proud of it

1. Different network profiles on the same notebook

Hello,

is there a simple (!) (or maybe not so simple) way to switch between two
different network configurations on the same machine?

Background: At home, I have my own network which differs completely from the
one in my company. When I dial into my company I have to use the company
configuration, otherwise the home settings. The same problem when I use it
at different locations.

Thorsten J. Domsalla

2. rpc libraries

3. 2 network cards, different networks

4. Terminal Switches

5. Using a Laptop in different network environments and with different hardware configs

6. RedHat 5.2, KDE and KOffice

7. Different Hostnames For Different Network Interfaces?

8. lslpp and instfix information does not agree

9. 2 different networks needing 2 different gateways

10. Network-to-network PPP with same network portion of IP address

11. How to use fwtk on linux with dual-network (Private Network + Network class C)

12. Notebook HP OB XE3: Problems with network (Accton EN2242)

13. Suse 8.2 and wireless pcmcia notebook networking