need a guru / monk / bofh ...

Post by Mike G » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 00:50:58

okay I am learning the path but am stumped at a point ...

Network is 3 XP machines, 1 win ME, a win 2000, and a linux router on a
cable modem.

I run "tcpdump -aqi eth 1 not arp" on the router but wish my internal IP's
from the windoze boxes to come up as names i.e. "Games" "email" etc. is
their a place I can go for a manual, or a page of code, on getting IP
address to resolve to names in TCPDUMP for the internal network display with
out fudging the windows DNS lookup work.  (I use 199.8.200.244 for DNS on
the windows boxes now.)

need a guru / monk / bofh ...

Post by asadche » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 01:35:12

On Mon, 3 Mar 2003 10:50:58 -0500

> okay I am learning the path but am stumped at a point ...

> Network is 3 XP machines, 1 win ME, a win 2000, and a linux router on a
> cable modem.

> I run "tcpdump -aqi eth 1 not arp" on the router but wish my internal IP's
> from the windoze boxes to come up as names i.e. "Games" "email" etc. is
> their a place I can go for a manual, or a page of code, on getting IP
> address to resolve to names in TCPDUMP for the internal network display with
> out fudging the windows DNS lookup work.  (I use 199.8.200.244 for DNS on
> the windows boxes now.)

Well, i am no guru or monk - more of a lowely apprentice, but...

If it is only few machines with static ip`s, you could hardwire names into /etc/hosts on your linux box.
That is the simplest solution.  Make it look something like:
127.0.0.1       localhost
192.168.1.5     games
192.168.1.100   email
192.168.1.15    linux

And make sure your /etc/nsswitch.conf has a similar line:
hosts:          files dns

The NETBIOS names Windows uses internally and DNS names are not the same.
I doubt tcpdump can resolve NETBIOS names.

Harder solution would be to install you own "fake_root" DNS server - but there is probably no need for it.

need a guru / monk / bofh ...

Post by ynotsso » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 01:35:17

Quote:> okay I am learning the path but am stumped at a point ...

> Network is 3 XP machines, 1 win ME, a win 2000, and a linux router on a
> cable modem.

> I run "tcpdump -aqi eth 1 not arp" on the router but wish my internal IP's
> from the windoze boxes to come up as names i.e. "Games" "email" etc. is
> their a place I can go for a manual, or a page of code, on getting IP
> address to resolve to names in TCPDUMP for the internal network display
> with out fudging the windows DNS lookup work.  (I use 199.8.200.244 for
> DNS on the windows boxes now.)

Just have the internal IP address/hostname pair in the /etc/hosts file, and
"hosts: files dns" in /etc/nsswitch.conf.

         tony

--
use hotmail.com for any email replies

need a guru / monk / bofh ...

Post by Mike G » Wed, 05 Mar 2003 02:32:27

Thanks to you both it fixed it perfectly.

Quote:> okay I am learning the path but am stumped at a point ...

> Network is 3 XP machines, 1 win ME, a win 2000, and a linux router on a
> cable modem.

> I run "tcpdump -aqi eth 1 not arp" on the router but wish my internal IP's
> from the windoze boxes to come up as names i.e. "Games" "email" etc. is
> their a place I can go for a manual, or a page of code, on getting IP
> address to resolve to names in TCPDUMP for the internal network display
with
> out fudging the windows DNS lookup work.  (I use 199.8.200.244 for DNS on
> the windows boxes now.)

1. BOFH and Linux

Quite humorous

Matthew Gardiner
--
I am the egg man
they are the egg men

2. SUN netra T1

3. Web/Sysadmin/BOFH Wanted

4. Setting up Kerberos v5 with Solaris 8

5. Help with BOFH

6. Network Backup by PC Server

7. BOFH

8. Frontpage 97 w/ Apache 1.2.4?

9. sysadmins and BOFH

10. BOFH cancelbot at mathie.cx

11. sed guru needed!

12. NOT FOR THE FAINT HEARTED (Need a GURU)

13. Linux guru needed urgently for lucrative contract work.