DHCP and Hostnames

Post by Chad Cunningha » Fri, 18 Dec 1998 04:00:00

With my cable modem, DHCP assigns me a hostname every time I log in.
This gives me a lovely hostname like NEW93104187. At first I didn't
think this was a big deal. But, then I realized email wasn't getting to
my machine. The problem is that my registered domain which maps my
dynamic IP is different from the hostname I'm assigned by DHCP. So, when
sendmail get's messages for my registered name, it sees that it doesn't
match the server name, so it spits them back. I realize that I could
reconfigure sendmail to relay the messages, but I'd prefer to have my
own hostname if possible. Is there any way to use my own hostname rather
than the one DHCP assigns? I'm a little afraid to just stick it in
/etc/hostname... Who knows what could happen...

DHCP and Hostnames

Post by Kenyon Ral » Sun, 20 Dec 1998 04:00:00

> own hostname if possible. Is there any way to use my own hostname rather
> than the one DHCP assigns? I'm a little afraid to just stick it in

See http://www.ddns.org.  Then, just make sure your box stays up for long
periods of time so your IP address doesn't change often.  With ddns.org, you
can set your MX record to point to your linux box, which is also something
you need.

--

linux: the choice of a GNU generation