Connecting to DSL using Linux and rp-pppoe

Connecting to DSL using Linux and rp-pppoe

Post by Edward Ya » Thu, 30 Mar 2000 04:00:00

After several tries, I have finally got it to work; and I would like to
share my
experience to anyone who may be having the same problem and may find
this info
helpful.  Here's what I did:

1.    I downloaded the file rp-pppoe-1.7-1.i386.rpm at Roaring Penguin's
site
        (http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe.html).

2.    I then followed the instructions of the HOW-TO-CONNECT file
        (on this directory: /usr/doc/rp-pppoe-1.7).

And that was it; every time I boot up the computer it starts the
"firewall" and
the "adsl"--I can access the net right after logging in!
Now that's convenience!  :o)

There's an `Installation' instructions on the site.  I followed it, but
it gave
me an error message every time the adsl-setup script:

  sed -e expression #1, char 21: Unknown option to 's'
  ** Error modifying /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf
  ** Quitting

The `adsl-setup' may for work for some, and vice versa.  Try running
this script
first before trying step 2.  If it works, kewl; if not, then try step 2.

NOTE:  My computer has RedHat 6.1, and rp-pppoe has only been tested on
6.1, for
now.  To install rp-pppoe on non-RedHat systems, you may need to get the
`source
gzipped tar file' from Roaring Penguin's site.

Again, I hope this info helps.

1. RH8.0 bundled rp-pppoe (rp-pppoe-3.4-7) problem, please help.

Hello,

I have a problem in RH8.0 bundled rp-pppoe (rp-pppoe-3.4-7), please
help.

I am setting up linux server as NAT, which share t he internet
connection to the client PCs at home. I was using RH7.2 before and
there is no problem at all. My problem in RH8.0 is that: I setup
rp-pppoe (ifup ppp0) to run at startup of the machine. Basically, it
starts up without any problem at all. But, it never runs
/etc/ppp/ip-up. Which means that the ip masquerading process didn't
bring up at all. What I have to is to ssh to the server everytime
after the server boots up and run /etc/ppp/ip-up manually, before my
clients can use the internet connect. I realized that the
configurations files are quite different from the one that I was using
in 7.2, e.g it doesn't use /etc/ppp/pppoe.conf anymore, instated it
put all the information in
/etc/ppp/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-ppp0.

Anybody can give me some suggestions ?
Thanks
Bosco

2. SunFlash January 1996

3. rp-pppoe, Verizon DSL, and firewall confusion

4. Visio for linux

5. DNS problems with rp-pppoe and Verizon DSL

6. Adding space to root fs under Solaris 2.4

7. rp-pppoe 3.1 -- Robust PPPoE suite for Linux

8. Documentation for developing usb device drivers

9. rp-pppoe 3.3 -- Robust PPPoE client for Linux, NetBSD, and Solaris

10. rp-pppoe DSL problem

11. rp-pppoe, kernel 2.4.x and DSL (PacBell)

12. Timeout waiting for PADO packets, rp-pppoe with MindSpring DSL

13. rp-pppoe 3.2 -- Robust PPPoE suite for Linux