Help! - Weird routing problem

Post by Chris Gra » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

I am trying to set up a Linux IPMasq box for a friend on Sympatico ADSL,
and all WAS going well...

I have RedHat 5.2 installed, with 2 ne2k-pci cards installed.  I have
eth0 setup as 192.168.3.10, and eth1 is setup via DHCP.  On boot, the
box finds both PCI cards, and the DHCP configuration works fine.

Once I log on to his box, I can ping outside.
I can FTP to outside.
I can telnet to outside.

but I CAN'T use lynx or netscape to browse outside.

I keep getting the message "no route to host" when I use "telnet
www.yahoo.com 80"

I have a default route setup, and DNS is working.

Does anyone have ANY ideas of what I have done wrong?

thanks in advance.

Help! - Weird routing problem

Post by William R. Matti » Sat, 27 Feb 1999 04:00:00

> I am trying to set up a Linux IPMasq box for a friend on Sympatico ADSL,
> and all WAS going well...

> I have RedHat 5.2 installed, with 2 ne2k-pci cards installed.  I have
> eth0 setup as 192.168.3.10, and eth1 is setup via DHCP.  On boot, the
> box finds both PCI cards, and the DHCP configuration works fine.

> Once I log on to his box, I can ping outside.

By IP address :^) or by hostname ?

ie: ping sunsite.unc.edu ?????

Quote:

> I can FTP to outside.

same question as above....

Quote:

> I can telnet to outside.

> but I CAN'T use lynx or netscape to browse outside.

what does your /etc/resolv.conf look like ? and /etc/host.conf ?

Quote:

> I keep getting the message "no route to host" when I use "telnet
> www.yahoo.com 80"
> I have a default route setup, and DNS is working.

> Does anyone have ANY ideas of what I have done wrong?

> thanks in advance.

default route is set to interface eth1 ??? Check your nameservers ...
nslookup www.yahoo.com ?? etc etc.

Regards
Bill

--
William R. Mattil       | Fred Astaire wasn't so great.

(972) 256-3219          | and... in high heels.