ANN: Pan 0.11.1 "Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?"

ANN: Pan 0.11.1 "Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?"

Post by Charles Ker » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 02:53:18

Pan 0.11.1, "Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?", has been released.
It can be found at http://pan.rebelbase.com/.

What is Pan?

        Pan is a newsreader, loosely based on Agent and Gravity, which
        attempts to be pleasant to use for new and advanced users alike.
        It has all the typical features found in newsreaders and also
        supports offline newsreading, article filtering, multiple connections,
        and a number of extra features for power users and alt.binaries fans.

        It's also the only Unix newsreader to get a perfect score on the
        Good Net-Keeping Seal of Approval evaluations.  See
        http://pan.rebelbase.com/features.html for the rest of the
        sales pitch.

About 0.11.1

        About thirty bugs have been fixed during the three betas
        since 0.11.0's release.  0.11.1 also has a set of the usual
        memory/speed tweaks and -- just in case we missed more bugs --
        better recovery in the case of a crash.

Changes Since 0.11.0

        NEW FEATURES

        * New builtin filter: "Threads I've posted In"
        * The header pane now allows filtering by Message-ID
        * Better guessing of default the default news server
          for new users with cable modems.
        * In the header pane, the left/right arrow keys now collapse/expand the
          selected threads.  Thanks to Chris Petersen for suggesting this.

        UPDATES

        * Better data recovery in the case of a Pan or system crash.
        * Better error-checking, handling, and writing-to-the-Pan-log when
          saving/decoding articles and when saving the local cache files.
        * Slightly faster downloading and threading of articles.
        * New Simplified Chinese translation by Zipeco
        * New Portuguese translation by Duarte Loreto

        CONFIGURATION

        * Mac OS X build fixes.  Thanks to Max Horn for these.
        * Build fixes for the Compaq C compiler on Linux Alpha.  Thanks to
          Alan Young for reporting these problems and submitting a patch.
        * Fixed small compile problem with "pan.sendlater" being defined
          in the wrong library.  Thanks to Gabi Davar and Francesco Lamonica
          for reporting this bug.

        BUG FIXES

        * The entire gruesome list can be seen at http://pan.rebelbase.com/.

ANN: Pan 0.11.1 "Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?"

Post by Luthe » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 03:36:10

Between Galeon, Evolution, and Pan, Gnome is really starting to mature as a
desk top. Now if we could just get Nautilus a little more stable and
quicker...

Quote:> Pan 0.11.1, "Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?", has been released.
> It can be found at http://pan.rebelbase.com/.

> What is Pan?

>         Pan is a newsreader, loosely based on Agent and Gravity, which
>         attempts to be pleasant to use for new and advanced users alike.
>         It has all the typical features found in newsreaders and also
>         supports offline newsreading, article filtering, multiple
connections,
>         and a number of extra features for power users and alt.binaries
fans.

>         It's also the only Unix newsreader to get a perfect score on the
>         Good Net-Keeping Seal of Approval evaluations.  See
>         http://pan.rebelbase.com/features.html for the rest of the
>         sales pitch.

> About 0.11.1

>         About thirty bugs have been fixed during the three betas
>         since 0.11.0's release.  0.11.1 also has a set of the usual
>         memory/speed tweaks and -- just in case we missed more bugs --
>         better recovery in the case of a crash.

> Changes Since 0.11.0

>         NEW FEATURES

>         * New builtin filter: "Threads I've posted In"
>         * The header pane now allows filtering by Message-ID
>         * Better guessing of default the default news server
>           for new users with cable modems.
>         * In the header pane, the left/right arrow keys now
collapse/expand the
>           selected threads.  Thanks to Chris Petersen for suggesting this.

>         UPDATES

>         * Better data recovery in the case of a Pan or system crash.
>         * Better error-checking, handling, and writing-to-the-Pan-log when
>           saving/decoding articles and when saving the local cache files.
>         * Slightly faster downloading and threading of articles.
>         * New Simplified Chinese translation by Zipeco
>         * New Portuguese translation by Duarte Loreto

>         CONFIGURATION

>         * Mac OS X build fixes.  Thanks to Max Horn for these.
>         * Build fixes for the Compaq C compiler on Linux Alpha.  Thanks to
>           Alan Young for reporting these problems and submitting a patch.
>         * Fixed small compile problem with "pan.sendlater" being defined
>           in the wrong library.  Thanks to Gabi Davar and Francesco
Lamonica
>           for reporting this bug.

>         BUG FIXES

>         * The entire gruesome list can be seen at

http://pan.rebelbase.com/.

ANN: Pan 0.11.1 "Where are the Snowdens of yesteryear?"

Post by Matthew Gardine » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 05:57:50

Quote:> Between Galeon, Evolution, and Pan, Gnome is really starting to mature as
> desk top. Now if we could just get Nautilus a little more stable and
> quicker...

Thats like saying, "lets get Mozilla faster and using less memory", an
oxymoron.

Matthew Gardiner

Post by WarpKa » Fri, 07 Dec 2001 07:43:18

>> Between Galeon, Evolution, and Pan, Gnome is really starting to mature
>> as
>> desk top. Now if we could just get Nautilus a little more stable and
>> quicker...

> Thats like saying, "lets get Mozilla faster and using less memory", an
> oxymoron.

Compared to just a moron?  I'll take the oxymoron anyday.

 From the Linux Box of WarpKat

 Download my public key from:

   or retrieve it from
  http://www.keyserver.net as WarpKat